Cat allergic husband - any tips to make cohabitation easier

kuteknish

My husband is allergic to cats. We have always kept my cat in a separate room or garage until June 2018 when we moved to our new home. We have two air purifiers with HEPA filters, and I clean the hair on furniture daily and vacuum every other day. I wipe her down with a dander remover cloth I got at petco once a day.. We have an upholstered couch which I know holds dander more than leather, but we don’t have the $ to buy a new couch. We also keep the bedroom door closed at all times.

It has been good up until two weeks ago when my husband started sneezing 3x as much as before ..

Are there any other tips anyone can share that have helped their allergic owners live in the same place? Thank you!

I'm extremely allergic to cats, and I hate to say this, but I simply could not live in the same house as one.

No amount of filters, antihistamines, or vacuums will do much.

The allergist told me it's actually an allergy to the cat's saliva.

Since cats lick themselves, they leave their saliva everywhere they go, and there is virtually no way to get rid of it. It's even on the walls.

Even if you bought all new furniture, it would be on the new furniture very soon. It would even be on the backs and sides of the furniture. A home with cats literally has saliva coated throughout.

The symptoms are, for me, so awful, that I can't even visit a home with cats. The hives and trouble breathing are one thing; the whites of my eyes actually swell up over my irises. The last time I was in a home with cats, it triggered a 2-month long horrendous coughing fit, as it encouraged lung production of eosinophils, which are impossible to get rid of.

I'm surprised that you would have a cat when you know your husband can't tolerate them? As LHGirl has said, there isn't really anything you can do to get rid of the dander or the saliva. My husband is allergic as well and as much as both of us like cats, there is no good reason for us to have one and put him through his sneezing attacks or worse.

What pleasure are you (or your cat) getting out of keeping a pet in the garage or locked up in a separate room?

Twice in your original post, you mentioned your husband being allergic:

My husband is allergic to cats.

Are there any other tips anyone can share that have helped their allergic owners live in the same place? Thank you!

But in your response to me below, he is now intolerant vs. allergic? Which is it?

LHgirl I’m sorry to hear you have such a severe allergy. My husband is more intolerant than allergic.

I'd like to clarify this, because intolerant and allergic are two very different things.

I personally do not like cats. However, if I was not allergic, and my SO had a cat, I'd learn to live with it, and hopefully learn to love it. I cannot live with it due to my allergies, but that is very different to one being intolerant.

I was once in a relationship with a guy who had 2 cats that he loved dearly, which is what drove me to the allergist in the first place. I'd never in a million years make him get rid of his cats, but despite all the Rx stuff the doctor gave me, I wouldn't have been able to live with them. We never got that far, but it's a tough decision.

I'm surprised that you would have a cat when you know your husband can't tolerate them? As LHGirl has said, there isn't really anything you can do to get rid of the dander or the saliva. My husband is allergic as well and as much as both of us like cats, there is no good reason for us to have one and put him through his sneezing attacks or worse.

What pleasure are you (or your cat) getting out of keeping a pet in the garage or locked up in a separate room?

Wow guys, I’m not looking to be judged here, and I’m shocked that I am...

My cat is 14, and my husband and I have been together 3 years... should I have just given my senior cat away to a shelter instead because he is sensitive to her? Is that what you would have done? Having her with us, but in an area that my husband didn’t frequent was a great compromise, and was discussed by both of us, just as it was when we moved here. He knew there was a chance of discomfort but he know how much I love my pet and we are figuring out what other modifications or purchases we could make.

The area is she was in at our old house actually was fun for her.. we built a cat playhouse with lots of levels and there was a huge window that we put bird feeders outside of so she had a lot of viewing activity. I’d play with her multiple times a day and had a desk set up too so I could do work in there when I was home.

Yes and now things have changed and your husband is suffering as a result. Also how long can you keep up that level of cleaning even if it did work, which it doesn't. I would rehome the cat because it's unfair for your husband to have to suffer like this if indeed what others have written is accurate as far as not being able to get rid of what is triggering his allergies.

Twice in your original post, you mentioned your husband being allergic:

But in your response to me below, he is now intolerant vs. allergic? Which is it?

I'd like to clarify this, because intolerant and allergic are two very different things.

I personally do not like cats. However, if I was not allergic, and my SO had a cat, I'd learn to live with it, and hopefully learn to love it. I cannot live with it due to my allergies, but that is very different to one being intolerant.

I was once in a relationship with a guy who had 2 cats that he loved dearly, which is what drove me to the allergist in the first place. I'd never in a million years make him get rid of his cats, but despite all the Rx stuff the doctor gave me, I wouldn't have been able to live with them. We never got that far, but it's a tough decision.

Excuse me for using the wrong adjective.... he has a strong intolerance, and I don’t think it’s wrong to say “allergy” as that it what it is, but more along the lines of a seasonal allergy reaction- sneezing, stuffy nose, watery eyes, etc.

he says “allergy” but I guess I wasn’t descriptive enough for this forum.... I know plenty of people who are allergic to cats, but not in such a way that you might be allergic to them and they either have a cat, or are around cats... there ARE actions that can be taken to reduce the discomfort one might feel and things you can do in your home as such... was merely hoping someone might have some tips outside of google

No one is judging you.

Thatwasthen was asking a question as to why you'd have a cat, knowing your husband is allergic. You responded, with the fact that your cat is 14, and you've only been together 3 years. That info would have been helpful in your initial post.

Unfortunately, if he's allergic vs. intolerant (and by the sounds of all the sneezing he's doing, it's allergic), you'll have to figure out an area, or a room of the house, in which the cat can reside.

Excuse me for using the wrong adjective.... he has a strong intolerance, and I don’t think it’s wrong to say “allergy” as that it what it is, but more along the lines of a seasonal allergy reaction- sneezing, stuffy nose, watery eyes, etc.

he says “allergy” but I guess I wasn’t descriptive enough for this forum....

But you didn't use the wrong adjective.

You used the correct adjective in your first post: your husband's symptoms are signs of an allergy. He may also be intolerant, but he most definitely is showing physical signs of an allergy.

For anyone who hasn't suffered these symptoms, I can assure you, it's miserable. At least mine are.

And I have a huge tolerance for pain. I had bunion surgeries on both feet and took zero painkillers. Zero. But get me around a cat, and it's misery.

Guys, he isn’t suffering.. he would absolutely tell me if he was, believe me. Just being proactive if anyone has any tips. We are in a high traffic neighborhood so there is also a lot of dust, plus the grass was just cut...it’s possible there is a number of factors that have him Sneezing since 5 months has been good. My guess based on all these responses is that I’m in the wrong forum for my question.

Yes thank you for that link .

Google is great, but real life chatting about what is worth/not worth it is better.

He could be responding to other allergies as well. I have other environmental allergies as well . Pollen ,spores , and dust .

My mom who was never allergic to cats developed a severe allergy though. She only visits me once a year for me to do her taxes . And even then she only spends an hour in my house and then we go out . She takes her two prescription antihistamine ,her inhalers and Benadryl .

I know that doesn’t help for a husband though . :(

The fact that this started just a few weeks ago suggests it may be something else than the cat. Is your husband open to taking antihistamines? My husband was very resistant at first but his symptoms improved so much with just a daily cetirizine/loratadine/etc.

Rehoming a 14 year old cat would be both logistically difficult and very traumatic for the pet. I think it’s great you’re trying so hard to make this work.

I am super allergic to cats, but my husband has had them since he was two, and miserable without one. We adopted two last year, but since they were in there since birth, and already well over a year old, they barely leave the basement because of our corgi who wants to get to know them, but they do not want anything to do with her.

I get the Costco brand for Claritin and take it everyday. It helps, but the basement has to be cleaned, vacuumed weekly, and I just go in for laundry or for exercise.

Could also be the combination of seasonal allergies since the Fall came on so quick; leaf mold, whatnot. Ibuprofen also helps to reduce the inflammation (sinus issues).

Btw, your husband is so lucky you clean so much!!!!!

And keep your main bedroom off limits. I know you want the cuddles, but that's the worst place if he's allergic.

Ok, he likes the cats, doesn't want to get rid of them and hasn't complained about anything, cats, allergies, etc. There is nothing to worry about. You are not going to lose your cats or your husband.

Guys, he isn’t suffering.. he would absolutely tell me if he was, believe me.

Archived