RichardC

I’m really not one for forums. This situation for me is a delicate and confusing one. Ok so I met my significant other and immediately got her pregnant. We’ve been together since then. We have a 5 year old daughter. I’ve always felt a missed connection. We split up briefly whenever I relapsed on drugs. I’ve since gotten sober and we wound up together. I have lost interest. We have a house together, and a child. I’ve been hoping she just gets sick of me for years. I’m pretty sure it would be crushing if I told her how I feel. She can barely wake up in the morning without a panic attack as is. We have no common interests. We have sex occasionally and when we do it’s nothing like what it used to be. I think every day what life could be like outside of this relationship. I just don’t want to hurt her. She is a suitable mate nothing she’s doing is technically wrong. I’m just not in love or happy while being in a relationship with her. Does this make me a trash person? Haha

Well, I think you should stick it out for your daughter's sake, but you can try to get that excitement back again. How about having a date night where you can go out for dinner and a movie, or maybe just take-out, or just do something special? If you showed some interest in your girlfriend, she might slow down on the panic attacks. She probably thinks you're going to do drugs again and leave her, based on your previous behavior. Or how about showing her some extra attention. Bring her flowers or do something nice for her. If you act like you're in love, sometimes you will feel like you're in love, which will then make your girlfriend love you back, which will then make you fall in love again. Sometimes it doesn't take much. Just put a little effort into the relationship. You are a family, you know.

Move out, set up child support and visitation. Get your own place and pay for it or move back to your parents. Focus on staying sober. You don't belong in a relationship. She and the child deserve child support and freedom from your problems and lousy attitudes.

We split up briefly whenever I relapsed on drugs. I think every day what life could be like outside of this relationship.

it happens. but.. there are a couple things here:

1. if you expected any relationship or family life to "always be like when we first started" - that is a very UNREALISTIC expectation. I can guarantee you that NO relationship will EVER be like "when it first started" throughout it's life. So if you left, you'd be leaving to find that it happens with EVERY relationship. So think 2X about that.

2. The #1 advice i give to people is that couples go thru #1 because they FORGET to KEEP DATING. Make sure that you are regularly setting aside a "date night" now and then and DO the dates like you did in the beginning - as if you just started dating - to help avoid the duldrums of #1. one fo my favorites is to meet at a bar, both getting there separately, at separate times, and pretend or act as if you met for the first time and noticed each other. That can be fun. Or just remember how you used to date, what you used to do, and setup outtings just like that now and then. It's very effective with a lot of successful long-term couples.

Good luck.

Archived