Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is it normal to still commit mistakes during my first month of the job?

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by Qwerty55
    Definitely the first you mentioned. I over react when I get corrected with minor things and it feels like it's huge
    I am working for over 15 years in my field and last week I made and discovered an e-mail related mistake (email address) for which I took full responsibility as soon as I found out and suggested ways to rectify. I was mad at myself of course. I think you need to develop a thicker skin at work and accept criticism and constructive criticism -take what positive you can from it. Obviously there's also workplace harassment/abuse etc but I'm sure you know the difference. As a former manager (and sometimes I still need to) I really disliked working with people who took constructive criticism too personally. Made my job so much harder.

Qwerty, if I may ask what types of mistakes are you making that the secretary has to correct?

Typos, things like that? If so, always proof read your work before submitting it. Always always, even if it's just a draft!! Use spell check!!

But if not typos, then what?

If you give specific examples, we might be a better position to advise you how to avoid making them, and/or repeating the same mistakes as you mentioned in your other thread.

Platinum Member
    Don't always rely on spell check. As I always say, spell check is not "makes sense" or "correct context" check.

For example:
    "I lust the firms tat where surprised too bee gave it thee mating".

All those words are correctly spelled but I sure would not want to send that out!

Read before sending. If you're still not sure, ask a trusted coworker to proofread. But...not too often or you will be viewed as incompetent.

Ask questions and remember the answers. Write them down if necessary. You'll succeed if you learn from your mistakes!

I proof all my work very carefully and use spell check. With spell check, I check each word individually (versus a global check) to make sure it's the proper word to be used and of course spelled correctly.

The Word version we use allows for that (to check each word individually).

Because my mind races faster than I could ever type, I can make a zillion typos. Read my posts and you'll see them everywhere!! Lol

What works for me in work related things is to write it a out and step away from it and do something else.

When I do performance reviews I check and recheck them a day later before turning them in to HR. Its frustrating sometimes that in the moment I can't see my own mistakes, but the following day they jump out at me.

It's a catch-22. The more anxious you are the more absent minded you'll feel and the more mistakes you'll make. The more mistakes you make the more anxious you'll feel. While it's normal on your first job or in a new job to feel like it's a learning curve, if this anxiety is this paralyzing, it may be time to seek therapy to help guide you through excess anxiety.

Therapy may also help you identify any perfectionist or obsessive habits that may be self-defeating. It would be best to address this promptly because as you know, it's not this job or any job for that matter, it's your mind playing tricks.
    Originally Posted by Qwerty55
    And every time I commit errors, I feel like my anxiety after work is worsening. I overthink a lot. Right now, all I can think of is that did I do my task right? Then I also forgot to attach one document in a booklet and now it's missing. I don't know if it's really important but my fear keeps eating me. All I can think of is my job mistakes. I really wanna remove the anxiety I feel after work. I just feel disappointed at myself that I find it hard to avoid errors.

Platinum Member
    I sometimes read things backwards, last word first, to find typos because you can catch them better out of context. I do spell check first and then proof. I do not rely on spell check unless I'm just checking an individual word.

Bronze Member
    I can totally relate, I was and still sometimes second-guess myself at some points. We always strive for perfection. Nobody wants to be on the hook for a mistake that was made, look like a fool or seem like they're inadequate to do the job. I'm with the consensus of people on here, mistakes happen and all you can do is learn from them and move on.

If you keep focusing on it, the guilt and uncertainty is going to eat you alive and you're going to cause yourself even more anxiety issues.

Unless you're not human, more mistakes are bound to happen. If the person doing the hiring didn't see something in you they could build on or didn't think you could handle the job, they wouldn't have offered the job to you.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Give Advice
Ask For Advice