Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it normal to still commit mistakes during my first month of the job?

Taking on a new position is tough and learning everything in a month without making mistakes is not possible. I know anxiety makes it 1000 times worse! Don't beat yourself up okay, no one is perfect and no one can do a job without making some mistakes. If it helps calm your anxiety try making a small checklist for you to review as you build confidence in your work. That way you can check stuff off mentally as you go. I am a perfectionist myself, but I have found that by allowing myself some slack I don't become so stressed out by the mistakes I make. Keep doing a great job and I hope the position works out long term for you.

New job anxiety !
    One of the worst fears.
    You go from a job that you can do with your eyes closed and then are plopped into a foreign environment and not even being sure where the bathroom is.

It would make just about anyone feel uneasy.
    It just takes time to hit your stride.

I hire new employees all the time. I had one that said `sorry' needlessly several times a day the first 3 months, she was so nervous. I did everything I could to assure her that I understood that there was a learning curve and for the most part her position is best learned by making mistakes.

I finally broke her of the sorry habit when I reminded her (jokingly) that every time she told me she was sorry she'd owe me a dollar.

I feel for you. Just don't be too hard on yourself and know that for the most part it's normal.

Platinum Member
    Like others have said, don't beat yourself up over mistakes. As long as you can fix them, and make your boss or others who are pertinent to the situation aware, and learn from it, it's all part of the job.

I've been at my job for 14 years, and I still make mistakes. Literally, just today, I had to ask my boss to decline my expense report, as I realized I had made a mistake on it, and I needed control of it again, to fix it. I told him what the mistake was, and how I was planning on fixing it, and I asked him for advice, as it's a different type of expense than something I normally do.

My point is, mistakes are human. Correcting them, and proactively learning from them, is where the difference lies.

Platinum Member
    Everyone makes mistakes, but you need to take your time and relax. In my position, I really can't afford to make any mistakes-in doing so could lead to severe repercussions, so I'm extra careful.

It's only been a month that is completely normal! I am in a new role for the last 6 months and I'm still making the odd mistake.

It's new and a part of the learning process is learning from mistakes.

It was getting to a stage I was getting very anxious about the mistakes I was making. I ending up talking to management for support.

Wish you all the best x

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by Jellybean9
    It's only been a month that is completely normal! I am in a new role for the last 6 months and I'm still making the odd mistake.

It's new and a part of the learning process is learning from mistakes.

It was getting to a stage I was getting very anxious about the mistakes I was making. I ending up talking to management for support.

Wish you all the best x
    I personally would not talk to management other than to show confidently that you know of the mistake and how you plan to rectify it. If you need support call someone outside the organization who has done your job and ask for support. This is why I'm a strong advocate of networking so you have those resources. I recently turned to a friend of mine for help with a work-related situation -she lives in another state, does not know my colleagues, and was able to offer pointers.

How do have you handled your mistakes? For instance, who have you told about them, and have you offered solutions for fixing them? How have they responded to you?

I also think the amount and type of mistakes are an important piece of the puzzle, you just left your last job and one of the reasons was because your boss was hyper critical of your mistakes according to you.

Which one came first the chicken or the egg, are you over reacting to minor things because of your past expierience or do you have a tendency to make mistakes and preemptively get defensive and anxious about them?

Bronze Member
    Originally Posted by catfeeder
    How do have you handled your mistakes? For instance, who have you told about them, and have you offered solutions for fixing them? How have they responded to you?
    I am with the secretary of my boss and she often sees and corrects my mistakes. Whenever she corrects it, it felt like my mistakes are big. I'm already working here for 2 months and there are times I still commit errors

Bronze Member
    Originally Posted by figureitout23
    I also think the amount and type of mistakes are an important piece of the puzzle, you just left your last job and one of the reasons was because your boss was hyper critical of your mistakes according to you.

Which one came first the chicken or the egg, are you over reacting to minor things because of your past expierience or do you have a tendency to make mistakes and preemptively get defensive and anxious about them?
    Definitely the first you mentioned. I over react when I get corrected with minor things and it feels like it's huge

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice