Cortisone knee shots

Anyone have experience with Cortizone shots in the knee ? My knees are pretty ravaged by osteoarthritis . Winter is a horrible time for me . It is not even truly winter yet and I’m to the point of barely being able to walk properly . I am in agony even walking a KM. I can’t sleep at night due to the pain. I am about 20 years too young for knee replacement .

We recently took my son to Toronto and it involved a lot of walking. By the second day I was in a wheelchair all day.

Today a 10 minute walk to the train station took me 45 because my knees were that sore.

Both my parents have severe arthritis in their knees . My mom actually had a knee replacement just over a year ago . About 15 years ago or maybe more my mom had a Cortizone shot in her knee which she said lasted a couple years .

Anyone have recent experience?

Can I ask why you say you are too young for knee replacements? I know of several people who have had knee and hip replacements in their 40's, with great success.

My dr wouldn’t even let my mom get hers done before 71 years old ( we have the same dr) and she couldn’t even stand longer than 30 seconds at a time. Most people in Canada are about 70 when it is done.

I had 2 shots several months ago and it made a big difference to my knee pain. I'm now going to try it in my shoulders.

Others I've talked to have said it didn't make much difference. It definitely won't make it worse, so I advise to give it a go.

My mom said it was helpful too.

My mom had the shots. It worked for a while. I believe there is a limit of three injections.

She did have the knee replacement. Her day-to-day is much easier.

I'm sorry that you are dealing with this.

My mom’s day to day is much better too! This year is so bad for me it is ridiculous.

My dr wouldn’t even let my mom get hers done before 71 years old ( we have the same dr) and she couldn’t even stand longer than 30 seconds at a time. Most people in Canada are about 70 when it is done.

Wow! I am shocked/surprised to hear that. I know sooooo many people who have had knee replacements and ALL of them were way under the age of 70 (ages 46-67). All of them were successful and all happy with the results, pain-free and walking well, even playing sports (tennis) again.

Our neighbour had cortisone injections over the years - said it worked and brought relief. I think he's had three injections that I know of.

Must be a standard of care in Canada vs. U.S., as the people I know who have had theirs done in their 40's are in the U.S. and have private insurance.

The cortisone shots couldn't hurt, although I do believe there is a maximum one should have, or an amount of time to space them apart?

Must be a standard of care in Canada vs. U.S., as the people I know who have had theirs done in their 40's are in the U.S. and have private insurance.

The cortisone shots couldn't hurt, although I do believe there is a maximum one should have, or an amount of time to space them apart?

Universal care has it’s limitations. You don’t get things whenever you want them but you also don’t go bankrupt and lose your house when you have an operation . I have private insurance for care that universal does not cover like drug and dental and eye, but it doesn’t cover operations like that.

Also you’d never release a doctor here because getting another one is almost impossible . We have a really big shortage of doctors .

Wow! I am shocked/surprised to hear that. I know sooooo many people who have had knee replacements and ALL of them were way under the age of 70 (ages 46-67). All of them were successful and all happy with the results, pain-free and walking well, even playing sports (tennis) again.

Our neighbour had cortisone injections over the years - said it worked and brought relief. I think he's had three injections that I know of.

I have had oral steroids for lung function and when I have oh my gosh I have bound down the stairs like a gazelle . It was like heaven . You can’t sleep worth a crap but you don’t care because you have so much energy it’s crazy .

Universal care has it’s limitations. You don’t get things whenever you want them but you also don’t go bankrupt and lose your house when you have an operation . I have private insurance for care that universal does not cover like drug and dental and eye, but it doesn’t cover operations like that.

Also you’d never release a doctor here because getting another one is almost impossible . We have a really big shortage of doctors .

OK, that all makes sense.

I certainly don't want to derail this post on a discussion of Universal vs. Private healthcare. So many threads take turns like that, but let's focus on what you posted about: relief for your knee in the meantime.

I don't have any experience with the cortisone shots, but it might be worth looking into, as would be other options, i.e. knee braces, icing, etc.

I do know that knee pain can be horrible, so I empathize and am sorry you are going through this.

Don't they make an exception if you can't walk?

Certainly try the cortisone shots. People I've heard about say they either don't work or they work for a few months. Try aspirin or Advil before the pain starts. They shrink the inflammation and swelling that occurs from the arthritis. Steroids can help in moderation too. Be careful of the knee transplants and do them as a last resort. Different brands of artificial knees have caused bone breakage and bone loss in the past.

I have enjoyed the discussion of US care vs. Canadian healthcare. Many Canadians come to Boston, Detroit, Chicago, Minneapolis and Seattle for operations Canada won't do. And yet, a lot of Americans want the US to switch to a Canadian-like system that will ration healthcare. Where would we go then?

It should be a last resort. They relieve pain temporarily but do not address the underlying problems. In fact over time they have considerable side effects while the joint keeps eroding and the muscles keep atrophying and the tendons and ligaments continue to stiffen...Ironically the biggest side effect of injected corticosteroids is cartilage breakdown.

It's a quick fix, but it will wear off and when it does you'll be back to square one and probably worse because the damage continues and "jumping down the stairs like a gazelle" does a ton of damage. And the other end of the spectrum immobility promotes poor muscle tone, poor joint lubrication and poor ligament and tendon strength.

The number one thing to do with or without shots, is physiotherapy and weight loss. That serves to increase muscle strength around the joint, joint stability and mobility and decrease excess load on the joint. It should be at least 3 mos intensive then a continued at home program of strengthening, stretching, etc. Join a yoga or stretch class and a gym with a good personal trainer to help you continue strengthening the knee structures.

Although you can't regrow thinning or damaged cartilage, the bones are dynamic and remodel, and so are the muscles that you need to strengthen. There are also injections which add lubrication to the joint, without the damage of cortisone.

Also improve your footwear and diet. Joint replacements as well should be a last resort. They are most definitely not a quick fix and you will definitely need extensive psychotherapy for that.

Don't they make an exception if you can't walk?

They will state I can walk, just not miles and miles like my family does on these excursions so you’re fine . When you get to the point that you actually truly can’t walk that’s when they do something . As in you’re sitting in the house all day like my mom on the couch and even getting to the bathroom is a difficulty . That’s when they replaced her knee .

Certainly try the cortisone shots. People I've heard about say they either don't work or they work for a few months. Try aspirin or Advil before the pain starts. They shrink the inflammation and swelling that occurs from the arthritis. Steroids can help in moderation too. Be careful of the knee transplants and do them as a last resort. Different brands of artificial knees have caused bone breakage and bone loss in the past.

I have enjoyed the discussion of US care vs. Canadian healthcare. Many Canadians come to Boston, Detroit, Chicago, Minneapolis and Seattle for operations Canada won't do. And yet, a lot of Americans want the US to switch to a Canadian-like system that will ration healthcare. Where would we go then?

My mom’s replacement is titanium. But she had a complete full knee replacement .

What's the diagnosis and is it the same for both knees?

Cortisone shots relieves inflammation, the cause of swelling, which in turn can allow healing blood in.

Too many shots can become destructive.

I have ED3 ( Ehlers-Danlos 3) The least destructive of the disease. But it does mean I have hypermobility of all my joints. I don’t even have to try to be hypermobile with my knees. They just naturally bend at a degree which is farther than knees should bend at. Consequently I have had arthritis in my knees from my teenage years which just gets worse and worse . And I have been working standing and walking on my knees since I’ve been like 15 years old . No job I have ever had has ever included sitting down .

It should be a last resort. They relieve pain temporarily but do not address the underlying problems. In fact over time they have considerable side effects while the joint keeps eroding and the muscles keep atrophying and the tendons and ligaments continue to stiffen...Ironically the biggest side effect of injected corticosteroids is cartilage breakdown.

It's a quick fix, but it will wear off and when it does you'll be back to square one and probably worse because the damage continues and "jumping down the stairs like a gazelle" does a ton of damage. And the other end of the spectrum immobility promotes poor muscle tone, poor joint lubrication and poor ligament and tendon strength.

The number one thing to do with or without shots, is physiotherapy and weight loss. That serves to increase muscle strength around the joint, joint stability and mobility and decrease excess load on the joint. It should be at least 3 mos intensive then a continued at home program of strengthening, stretching, etc. Join a yoga or stretch class and a gym with a good personal trainer to help you continue strengthening the knee structures.

Although you can't regrow thinning or damaged cartilage, the bones are dynamic and remodel, and so are the muscles that you need to strengthen. There are also injections which add lubrication to the joint, without the damage of cortisone.

Also improve your footwear and diet. Joint replacements as well should be a last resort. They are most definitely not a quick fix and you will definitely need extensive psychotherapy for that.

Weight loss would definitely help .

I gave further information above .

Best answer yet. Don't be fooled, cortizone has multiple side effects and is a quick fix to an underlying problem:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/cortisone-shots/about/pac-20384794

You should be exhausting all other options before trying out medications, steroids, or surgeries:

Physical exercise

Aerobic activity for 20-30 minutes 5 days a week improves cardiovascular health. If injured, pursuing an activity that avoids the injured muscle group or joint can help maintain physical function while recovering.

Weight loss

Can improve cardiovascular health and reduce the risk of complications related to obesity.

Menthol

An oil made from mint that soothes sore throats and relieves itching.

Ice packs

Reduces inflammation and dulls sensation of pain.

Hydrotherapy

Using water to relieve pain, treat diseases, and maintain health. For example, mineral baths and hot tubs.

Stretching

Stretching exercises can improve flexibility and improve physical function.

Physical therapy

Restores muscle strength and function through exercise.

Acupuncture

Insertion of needles into specific points on the body to relieve pain and treat other conditions. A form of traditional Chinese medicine.

I strongly suggest improving your diet, exercise, going to PT, and losing any excess weight (if needed). Going to a nutritionist can help you reform your diet to promote joint health if you are deficient in nutrients. Seeing a personal trainer and physical therapist can help you strengthen muscles arounds your knee joints, in order to relieve the daily stressors off your joints. I suggest strength training and low impact aerobics (swimming, bicycling). Losing any excess weight decreases the daily load off of your joints. Many do not realize, but this causes a lot of stress on your ligaments/tendons/joints, leading to arthritis (injury -> inflammation -> chronic inflammation).

Arthritis has multiple sources, but they range from lifestyle (your own stressors in your life up to this point - could be the type of work you do, lifting heavy loads, improper lifting, a sedentary lifestyle, run/jump too much, etc) to poor diet to excess weight to autoimmune disorders. Getting this later in life is usually due to life factors, not just autoimmune (not born with it but acquired it later on). Sure, family history/genetics can make you more prone to such disorders but can be managed or preventable based on your entire lifestyle up until this point. For example, my mom was a runner in her younger days and now later in life had her hips replaced due to all the wear/tear on her cartilage. She already did the damage unknowingly to herself.

This is hard work. Not many go for these long, tedious options and jump straight for medication/surgery/replacements since it is much faster. However, there are risks there that run you eventually in worse shape than before, which could have been prevented. I understand sometimes you can't help it if you've already exhausted ALL of these options already, which is why the invasive options should be a last resort. You have options; choose the less invasive ones before hitting up the big guns. Steroids are the big guns.

P.S. Different doctors will recommend different options (i.e. immunologist will say you have an autoimmune disorder and will recommend steroids to reduce inflammation, a nutritionist will recommend a balanced diet incorporating deficiencies, a surgeon will recommend a joint replacement, a physical therapist will recommend strength training around your ligaments, etc). Be careful about listening to the first one you come across, even if it's a GP. Always get second opinions and see as many as you can to form a good slew of options.

Certainly I could use to lose a few pounds . The only thing I haven’t done is probably acupuncture . Probably some gentle exercise would be OK if I do any gym or strength training I am screaming in under a week . When I don’t have swelling in my knees I can walk for long periods of time . Just this summer I walked 14 km in a day and no pain whatsoever . But I would agree with swimming . It doesn’t put a lot of pressure on the joints .

Certainly I could use to lose a few pounds . The only thing I haven’t done is probably acupuncture . Probably some gentle exercise would be OK if I do any gym or strength training I am screaming in under a week . When I don’t have swelling in my knees I can walk for long periods of time . Just this summer I walked 14 km in a day and no pain whatsoever . But I would agree with swimming . It doesn’t put a lot of pressure on the joints .

Of course exercising is going to hurt really badly for someone who doesn't go regularly or tries something new, especially with a form of arthritis. That is why ice and menthol really help with inflammation and muscle tension (ever heard of icy hot packs?). I witnessed both my parents go through the pain and it helped them trememdously. Also, a personal trainer and physical therapist will help you do this safely and push you in a healthy way. It can be done and is only beneficial to your health under proper supervision.

The worst thing you can do for your health, including but not limited to joint health, is become sedentary and not exercise at all (in addition to daily tasks). Rather than walking, join a gym that has a pool and start going regularly.

Of course exercising is going to hurt really badly for someone who doesn't go regularly or tries something new, especially with a form of arthritis. That is why ice and menthol really help with inflammation and muscle tension (ever heard of icy hot packs?). I witnessed both my parents go through the pain and it helped them trememdously. Also, a personal trainer and physical therapist will help you do this safely and push you in a healthy way. It can be done and is only beneficial to your health under proper supervision.

The worst thing you can do for your health, including but not limited to joint health, is become sedentary and not exercise at all (in addition to daily tasks). Rather than walking, join a gym that has a pool and start going regularly.

I am not sedentary at all. I have been working in childcare for years . I now on my own daycare believe me I’m not sedentary . Little kids move a lot . ;) Before that I was in the military as a medical assistant of coarse I’ve heard of icy hot packs . Also not a sedentary job . In fact I’ve never had a sedentary job ,ever . If anything my joints suffer from a lot of overuse and repeat stress injury.

Cartilage can be repaired/regrown but maybe not the way you would think.

Healing is all about blood. The knees are tightly packed to start with, add weight and inflammation, it's almost impossible for the blood to get in there.

Stationary bicycling with NO resistance at a medium steady speed will allow the blood to get in there and heal/grow cartilage. Over weeks, increase cadence slowly, but never fast!

btw, Concentrate on reducing inflammation not symptoms.

Archived