Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seperated but living together

Seperated but living together

Hi all
    Me and my partner of 20 yrs have seperated im 44 she is 42. We have a morgage together and still live in the same house. My partner she drinks and changes when she does. She wants to move out but has no money to do so. Im not sure why im on here but just wondered if anyone else in the same situation
    Thank you
    Last edited by Capricorn3; 10-20-2018 at 05:41 PM.

Sorry i meant living together

Originally Posted by Darcus30
    Sorry i meant living together
    I fixed it for you.

Hi all
    Me and my partner of 20 yrs have seperated im 44 she is 42. We have a morgage together and still live in the same house. My partner she drinks and changes when she does. She wants to move out but has no money to do so. Im not sure why im on here but just wondered if anyone else in the same situation
    Thank you
    Depending on how your finances are tied together or not, you are likely to have to continue footing the bill. Have you sought legal advice?

Platinum Member
    Well, it happens these days. She owns half the house, so she has a right to live there. Are you sharing the living expenses? You can force a sale of the house, but you're still going to have to find someplace to live. Is she civil enough to be just roommates? Is she drinking because she has problems? Doing nothing is the easiest option until something more happens.

Platinum Member
    Can you sell the house, split the profit and go your separate ways?
    Can you buy her out of her share?

Platinum Member
    Four months ago you said you two were still having sex. Have you "separted" since June? What led to the decision to "separate"?

Unfortunately you've been dealing with her alcoholism for a long time. Most alcoholics and their enablers stay together like this with varying degrees of estrangement, contempt, despair, anger just like this. It will just continue to limp along this way as it always has and she will again start fights and claim she wants out, etc. It will go on like this until you do something or she dies in a car wreck, from cirrhosis, etc..
    We have a morgage together and still live in the same house. My partner she drinks. She wants to move out but has no money to do so.

We were still having sex in june yes. We were trying to act normal i suppose.
    We have a joint morgage and whilst she is here is paying half of everything. Its just a bit awkward we dont hate each other and dont argue but a bit of a stramge atmosphere if that makes sense. She is saving for a deposit to move into a rental property.thank you for all your advice

Consult with a lawyer to learn your options for your location along with the steps you'd need to take for each option. For instance, in order to expedite her move, you might consider subsidizing her in the same manner you'd get an adult kid to move out: pay the landlord first and last rent plus security, then loan her 'help' money that you reduce each month.

Your attorney can draw up an agreement for whatever degree of this help money you wish to come out of her half of the proceeds when selling the house.

If you don't want to sell the house, your chance of recouping any money from her are slim to none.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice