Not sure how serious your partner is about you?

SherrySher

Thanks for sharing!

I am a little surprised the author was published. Seems like a lot of common sense and cliches and just re-packaged as "4 top things". I like the cliche watch the feet not the lips as a sort of grounding "mantra." And as far as emotional connection -well, sure, of course and I think at various moments in time it might not be as strong, might be stronger, one or both might seek out other people (meaning platonic friends, family, etc) to share with because they might "get it" more or the partner is going through stuff and you don't want to burden him.

And sure as far as being "present" but again it depends on the type of relationship -how often you see each other, how often and how you communicate, what each person is comfortable with as far as space. Everyone likes to be understood and listened to but of course it also depends what the topic is. No, I'm not going to be upset with my husband if he's half-listening to less important aspects of my job that day or if he "forgets" that our son's glasses are ready to be picked up because he wasn't listening.

On the other hand if he doesn't listen to my telling him he needs to pick up our son at school or doesn't listen to how my meeting went that he knows was stressing me out I might be upset. MIght because we're human -so if I chose to tell him at a bad time (and didn't know it was) and he doesn't get to tell me it's a bad time until I'm done "sharing" or similar well, sure, I can forgive him for not being so "present.". And vice versa. The other night I had my headphones in while cleaning in the kitchen (which is when my husband watches TV and/or works) and he came in I thought to offer to take out the garbage. So I just motioned. If I stop listening to my podcast I have to stop what I'm doing, dry my hands, etc. We miscommunicated because what he was trying to tell me was that we had to take care of something having to do with the anniversary of my mother in law's passing and understandably he was feeling sad about it. I'd actually thought of my mother in law recently -I miss her -and forgotten the exact day (which was fine of course).

So no I wasn't present at all at first nor do I think I need to be every time my partner wants to talk to me -depends what it is- and yes I was annoyed until I knew what was going on since I want to get everything cleaned and prepped ASAP so I can relax a bit before going to bed.

I really do hope others find this article helpful -maybe as sort of a reminder!

Archived