LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I want to go to a community college and my parents don't support me

I want to go to a community college and my parents don't support me

I'm graduating from high school this year and while I am applying to other universities, there is a certain community college I visited and I envision myself going there over any other university. I don't know if it's necessary to say, but I want to get my associate's degree for nursing at Southwestern Michigan College and then transfer to Western Michigan University for my bachelor's. The campus is beautiful, the dorms are insanely nice (private rooms for each roommate, and two bathroom in ONE dorm room!) and the student to teacher ratio is 14:1, which is important to me because I know I'll do better in smaller class sizes.

My parents, however, (mainly my dad) are very unsupportive of this. I just spoke to my dad about it and he said "they make jokes about those people, you know," and "think bigger" and "you don't want to waste your life" and "I know you won't transfer even if you say you will" etc. etc. This lack of support is really getting to me. I get good grades, my SAT scores are fairly high, but I don't think I'm limiting myself by going to a school that I really want to attend, whether it is community college or a university. One thing that really bothers me is that my dad knows nothing of the college whatsoever, doesn't know that the nursing program is actually very highly regarded and has 100% job placement just with an associate's degree.

Additionally, we are very low on the financial scale. I do have good grades, but I know that any big university will not pay for my tuition in full with scholarships. My parents will not be able to help very much at all except for helping me get loans, but all that debt is not something I want on my mind for my life. The scholarships available at Southwestern will pay for my entire tuition for 2 years or I will have to pay around a thousand dollars. It just seems like the best decision for me, and despite not having a good relationship with my parents, I care about what they think. Is there anything I can do to help sway them in my favor? What would you guys suggest I do?

Tell them all the things you said in your post, you gave a very convincing argument as to why you should go to the school of your choice. Are there any grants or scholarships you can apply for now to help you get started? There is nothing wrong with going to a community college and nursing is a very good career choice.

In Ontario we have OSAP which is Ontario Student Assistance Program and you can get tuition money that way that you dont start to pay back until 6 months after graduation. Both of my kids did that. Is there something like that where you live?

Thank you for your advice! There actually is something like that where I live, I already have $1500 in scholarships and I'm applying for another $10000 scholarship that is given by Southwestern Michigan College that my admissions advisor said I have a very high chance of getting. If I were to get that scholarship, my school would be paid for for two years. It just seems like such a better option for me.

Platinum Member
    Go to community college. I took out a ton of student loans to go to university and it's probably the biggest regret of my life. If I could do it over again I would go to community college and transfer.

You sound really smart, I wish I had been as smart as you at your age.

You are setting yourself up for financial success by taking this path. Dont let your parents discourage you. You're an adult now, you don't need their permission.

Platinum Member
    Yeah, maybe you need to talk to your guidance counselor because if your parents are low income, you can get various grants. Obviously there's loans, but you can also work at school in the work studies program or get a part-time job to fill in your finances. I'm guessing that you live in Michigan. You get the lower residence rate by staying in the state school system. Going to school is not a vacation, but by working, perhaps even getting a job at a hospital, you can make it through college hopefully without any loans. A hospital may even have a tuition reimbursement program. If you live close to the school, you don't need to live in a dorm. You can commute to school and save $10k a year. There's a way to do this even without your parent's help.

I think your plan sounds really good. You will save a lot of money if you go to a community college for 2 years before transferring. You can look at other options, and do try applying for a 4 year, just to see what kind of financial aid package you would get before you make your final decision.

Where have you applied and where have you been accepted? Where have you applied for scholarships and financial assistance and which places have granted it? What do your school advisers and guidance counselors recommend?

Why not apply directly to the university you want your degree from? Do you plan on getting a BS in nursing? Then apply to the best schools for that.

If you want to be a nursing assistant and are afraid of academics or large competitive universities, then go to a small community college. Talk to your school advisers, this is what they are there for and they can give you the best advice for whatever path suits you and your goals best.

Going here then there etc is more hassle and some credits won't transfer. If all you want is a 2 yr certificate, be honest with your parents.
    Originally Posted by juliarmumford
    Western Michigan University for my bachelor's. The campus is beautiful, the dorms are insanely nice (private rooms for each roommate, and two bathroom in ONE dorm room!) and the student to teacher ratio is 14:1, which is important to me because I know I'll do better in smaller class sizes.

Platinum Member
    I would never have considered community college for myself and your plan sounds like a well thought out and good one for you. One of my nieces now has a 4 year degree and started out at community college. It was right for her at that time. Good for you for thinking it through so carefully!

I'd support you! Both of my sons have gotten basic college requirements through community college, and gone on to other settings for their final degrees, and done well. The tuition was more affordable, and with each semester completed they had better financial aid options and received additional grants and scholarships. Where I grew up, the general attitude toward community colleges, and technical colleges, was like your dad's, I didn't even consider them, but now I wish I had. Personally, I would have benefitted from a 2 year degree, it would have given me a short term focus and goal while I figured out my long-term ones, including my finances. I was so clueless at your age, and you seem to have a good perspective.

Silver Member
    My step daughter is currently taking this approach. 2 years at community college and now she is starting up at a more recognized school to achieve her bachelors. It looks like the issue is with him not believing you will transfer after 2 years. That being said, if they aren't paying or helping financially, its not their decision, its yours. Not an easy chat to have, but sounds like it is needed.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice