LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: I want to go to a community college and my parents don't support me

Platinum Member
    I went to a community college before transferring to a state school. It saved a lot of money.

The one thing I would caution you to do is to make sure you get your lower division requirements met and signed off before transferring. You can get burned for a unit here or there that makes you need to backfill 12 (me) units after the transfer.

So you need to get the list not just from your community college but, importantly, from the school you want to transfer to eventually.

BTW, it may be a waste of time to get the AA if you are positive you are getting a BA/BS. You can fulfill the lower division requirements at the community college regardless.

Good luck!

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by jimthzz
    I went to a community college before transferring to a state school. It saved a lot of money.

The one thing I would caution you to do is to make sure you get your lower division requirements met and signed off before transferring. You can get burned for a unit here or there that makes you need to backfill 12 (me) units after the transfer.

So you need to get the list not just from your community college but, importantly, from the school you want to transfer to eventually.

BTW, it may be a waste of time to get the AA if you are positive you are getting a BA/BS. You can fulfill the lower division requirements at the community college regardless.

Good luck!
    Its not a waste of time if the classes for the AA are all the basic classes you need for the BA/BS or will transfer. or even if its that or one or two more.

An associate's degree could get her a better summer job, a better "during the school year" job where she could actually work in nursing as an LPN, and once she gets her BS, the same hospital will pay her more as an RN or she can move up within. A cousin of mine did just that.

My brother had enough classes to get an associates in general studies or business before moving on to the 4 year university. He had the classes, he just didn't apply to graduate with the degree. stuff happened and he never finished his bachelor's. If he had only rolled classes into that associates in business, it would have bolstered the business experience he had and he could have gotten a better job or would have had an interview. he would have been a manager at particular job vs starting at the bottom. Would he be hired as a CEO with an associates with no track record? no, but he wouldn't start out on the bottom rung. Or at a big company, he might have started at the bottom, but without a degree at all, he wouldn't even have an interview.

Originally Posted by abitbroken
    Its not a waste of time if the classes for the AA are all the basic classes you need for the BA/BS or will transfer. or even if its that or one or two more.

An associate's degree could get her a better summer job, a better "during the school year" job where she could actually work in nursing as an LPN, and once she gets her BS, the same hospital will pay her more as an RN or she can move up within.
    I was thinking along these lines, too. An AA when it comes to nursing is valuable and earns you a seat for exams. Check your location, because an LPN in my state only requires one year, and RN two, and then a BSN is four.

Sure beats working as a nurse's aid for all those years!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Give Advice
Ask For Advice