Random onset of heart palpitations

Hi, all-

About 6 months ago, I started having heart palpitations. I had them sporadically before but not daily. I also caught a nasty cold at that time which made them 10 times worse. I visited my acupuncturist and she did a treatment on me and I didn’t have them again for a month. Then they started back up daily. Acupuncture hasn’t taken them away this time. They are totally inconsistent. I told my doc at my last appt and because I have a normal heart rhythm, she was not worried. I don’t have them nearly at all all night long and they will just randomly begin in the early afternoon. It makes me think dehydration or not eating enough in the morning or electrolytes. Hell, I don’t know!!!!! I don’t have any other symptoms. I’m 39 and I wonder if it could be peri menopause. Any thoughts? Thank you!

Talk with your doctor and ask them to refer you to a cardiologist, to hook you up and send you home with a 24 hour Holter monitor. Then the doctor can look at your heart rhythms during a 24 hour period. Or, they may choose to put you on a treadmill to conduct a stress test while hooked up.

That said, it is important to be hydrated and eat properly. You could also be deficient in a vitamin or mineral (such as magnesium). Caffeine intake might effect you, as well as other medications you might be taking. Anxiety could trigger it, too. My ex used to get tachycardia from too low of oxygen when he played sports. Fortunately he could pull himself out of it by taking the time to breathe.

I take it your blood pressure was normal? Did the doctor do a blood test for potassium, magnesium, sodium, etc.? Everything normal? Then cut out all caffeine. I've done a life-long study of it. It can give you terrible palpitations at very low doses. Also, is anything stressing you? Are you getting enough sleep? All these can cause them.

I had that. Doc put me on a holter monitor and it came back with "no adverse activity." Doc then told me to give up coffee for a week or go to decaf and see what happens. The palpitations disappeared and I slowly went back to regular coffee/tea but when I have a coke/pepsi I get the decaf brand. If I want more then one coffee a day, I switch to decaf.

How many caf drinks do you have in the morning? If you smoke, do your best to give that up for good.

I take it your blood pressure was normal? Did the doctor do a blood test for potassium, magnesium, sodium, etc.? Everything normal? Then cut out all caffeine. I've done a life-long study of it. It can give you terrible palpitations at very low doses. Also, is anything stressing you? Are you getting enough sleep? All these can cause them.

I am off of coffee but now drink black tea. The thing is that I never had them before and I used to drink a lot more caffeine. Would I just suddenly be affected by caffeine??

I had that. Doc put me on a holter monitor and it came back with "no adverse activity." Doc then told me to give up coffee for a week or go to decaf and see what happens. The palpitations disappeared and I slowly went back to regular coffee/tea but when I have a coke/pepsi I get the decaf brand. If I want more then one coffee a day, I switch to decaf.

How many caf drinks do you have in the morning? If you smoke, do your best to give that up for good.

I drink black tea in the morning (three teabags) but I never had a problem before. Why now I wonder? And sometimes I get them in the morning before I even have my tea. This morning, I got them before I had breakfast or had tea. I don’t smoke :-)

To rule out preimenopausal hormone issues, get a 'complete' blood test, and see a cardiologist to do the same for the heart.

Although my guess is it's your feeding schedule coupled with high random/routine sugar/caffeine intakes.

Your body changed in the past ten years, you have to change how you treat accordingly.

I am off of coffee but now drink black tea. The thing is that I never had them before and I used to drink a lot more caffeine. Would I just suddenly be affected by caffeine??

Ditch the black tea, it's got more caffeine than coffee. Drink decaf coffees and teas like Rooibos, or any tea labeled decaf. You're not 'suddenly' affected by caffeine, it's been building up over time. It will take time to leave your system, too. Some people are more sensitive to caffeine than others, and this changes as we get older.

When I had palpitations it scared me into ditching all caffeine. The effect was instant and astounding--it was as though someone gave me a perfect tranquilizer. My moods relaxed, my temper returned to my own control, and I felt like my old laid back self again. But when I tried regular again after about a week, I felt the palpitations starting again almost immediately. After a few months I could handle one cup or so, but it did impact my sleep.

I can't taste the difference between decaf and regular coffee, so this has not been a big lifestyle change other than feeling relaxed and GOOD again. I'd still consult your doc for a referral, but you can probably get one by calling instead of visiting him again. I hope you'll let us know how you feel after ditching the tea.

Ditch the black tea, it's got more caffeine than coffee. Drink decaf coffees and teas like Rooibos, or any tea labeled decaf. You're not 'suddenly' affected by caffeine, it's been building up over time. It will take time to leave your system, too. Some people are more sensitive to caffeine than others, and this changes as we get older.

When I had palpitations it scared me into ditching all caffeine. The effect was instant and astounding--it was as though someone gave me a perfect tranquilizer. My moods relaxed, my temper returned to my own control, and I felt like my old laid back self again. But when I tried regular again after about a week, I felt the palpitations starting again almost immediately. After a few months I could handle one cup or so, but it did impact my sleep.

I can't taste the difference between decaf and regular coffee, so this has not been a big lifestyle change other than feeling relaxed and GOOD again. I'd still consult your doc for a referral, but you can probably get one by calling instead of visiting him again. I hope you'll let us know how you feel after ditching the tea.

Thanks, Catfeeder! I’m having decaf chai today in lieu of caffeine. Worth a try! :-) Thank you for sharing!! Great to know that many people have been scared by palpitations and I love to hear how others have taken care of them. Thanks!

To rule out preimenopausal hormone issues, get a 'complete' blood test, and see a cardiologist to do the same for the heart.

Although my guess is it's your feeding schedule coupled with high random/routine sugar/caffeine intakes.

Your body changed in the past ten years, you have to change how you treat accordingly.

I think you’re right, Lester. Thank you!

I agree re diet / hormonal dynamics.

Drink more water - 10 to 12 cups throughout the day. That may help.

It eliminated mine.

I sometimes take St John's Wort, which can create heart palpitations: herbs can be bad for you. If I drink water, the rest of the autonomic systems seem to stay balanced even with stimulant herbs and prescribed meds.

So, my thought remains- water water water. (I think I need to get some now.)

I drink black tea in the morning (three teabags) but I never had a problem before. Why now I wonder? And sometimes I get them in the morning before I even have my tea. This morning, I got them before I had breakfast or had tea. I don’t smoke :-)

I never had a problem before either but as we age, things change. Three black tea bags in the a.m. (assume before you've even eaten) is a lot of caffeine. More then a cup of coffee I'd venture. When you get your palpitations doesn't really apply. I used to get a lot of mine at bedtime and I hadn't had any coffee since 8 in the morning. The thing is, is that the caffeine is in your system and it may be taking longer to exit your system. Try going decaf for a while and see if it helps.

I agree re diet / hormonal dynamics.

Drink more water - 10 to 12 cups throughout the day. That may help.

It eliminated mine.

I sometimes take St John's Wort, which can create heart palpitations: herbs can be bad for you. If I drink water, the rest of the autonomic systems seem to stay balanced even with stimulant herbs and prescribed meds.

So, my thought remains- water water water. (I think I need to get some now.)

Thank you, I AmFCA!! I know I have to drink more. I think I typically drink 6-8 cups but I have to drink more.

I never had a problem before either but as we age, things change. Three black tea bags in the a.m. (assume before you've even eaten) is a lot of caffeine. More then a cup of coffee I'd venture. When you get your palpitations doesn't really apply. I used to get a lot of mine at bedtime and I hadn't had any coffee since 8 in the morning. The thing is, is that the caffeine is in your system and it may be taking longer to exit your system. Try going decaf for a while and see if it helps.

ThatwasThen, that is great to know, thank you! I was thinking you had palps after drinking coffee but yes, like me, yours were randomly timed. I did decaf today and the palps were FAR better but I still had them. I will give it time! How long did it take after you stopped caffeine for your palpitations to go away totally? Thank you!

ThatwasThen, that is great to know, thank you! I was thinking you had palps after drinking coffee but yes, like me, yours were randomly timed. I did decaf today and the palps were FAR better but I still had them. I will give it time! How long did it take after you stopped caffeine for your palpitations to go away totally? Thank you!

Mine went away within a two days, but I flushed with a lot of water. It helps to experiment with flavor combos in your water, like lemon or cucumber. It makes the water more of a taste replacement for the tea or coffee you're used to.

Mine went away within a two days, but I flushed with a lot of water. It helps to experiment with flavor combos in your water, like lemon or cucumber. It makes the water more of a taste replacement for the tea or coffee you're used to.

Thank you, catfeeder!

This is day two for me without caffeine and they have pretty much been nonexistent today thus far. I feel kind of silly because I really didn’t think it was having that much of an effect on me! Thank you for all of your advice!

As with you, they tapered off and I had a little less everyday. As I remember, they were completely gone shortly after a week of going totally decaf.

Good luck. Hope you get the same positive results that I did.

Archived