Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Taking negative customer feedback

Actually, Sansa moved to a new lab that just purchased our instrument, and she is the one who asked I not give the training. In the future, I will certainly go to the break room or something, especially dealing with Arya and Sansa. Most other people donít care. It is not like they are paying me by the hour, or at all.

Originally Posted by annie24
    It is not like they are paying me by the hour, or at all.
    You don't get paid?

It seems if they bought your instrument, and your company pays you, then your customers are essentially paying you. But, besides that, Arya and Sansa may not know the details of that, and consider the impression it makes...they are getting something new that may mean downtime and a learning curve for them, so some stress on their end. The instrument hasn't been tested for their particular purpose, and apparently it's up to them to test it, you are not particularly concerned about the results. (That may not be true, but it's a possible impression.) Then, while there, you are busy with other clients, on your phone. Later, when they call you with questions, you are busy with other clients, and give a generic response. Maybe she or they feel a bit brushed off? Need some hand holding? You are not necessarily in the wrong, and neither are they. Some clients get more stressed than others when it comes to change, or learning new things, or spending money. Developing an approach for needy clients that allows you to get all your work done (not just theirs) AND reassures them might be worthwhile.

I can understand both sides.

Originally Posted by journeynow
    You don't get paid?

It seems if they bought your instrument, and your company pays you, then your customers are essentially paying you. But, besides that, Arya and Sansa may not know the details of that, and consider the impression it makes...they are getting something new that may mean downtime and a learning curve for them, so some stress on their end. The instrument hasn't been tested for their particular purpose, and apparently it's up to them to test it, you are not particularly concerned about the results. (That may not be true, but it's a possible impression.) Then, while there, you are busy with other clients, on your phone. Later, when they call you with questions, you are busy with other clients, and give a generic response. Maybe she or they feel a bit brushed off? Need some hand holding? You are not necessarily in the wrong, and neither are they. Some clients get more stressed than others when it comes to change, or learning new things, or spending money. Developing an approach for needy clients that allows you to get all your work done (not just theirs) AND reassures them might be worthwhile.

So earlier in the year, they had a lot of problems with their instrument. The instrument was purchased from us several years ago and I think the age contributed to the mechanical issues it was having. It was fixed, but our sales team convinced them to buy a second one, if they cannot handle any instrument downtime, even for a day or two. Of course, they purchased the instrument and our team services are part of the package deal, just pointing out they were not paying extra for me to be there, nor do they pay an hourly rate for us. Arya and Sansa may not know that. I get paid the same amount if I am sitting at a customer site for 40 hours or have 0 customers to visit that week. Truthfully, I'm not even Arya's main contact person. My coworker is. I just came in as a favor for the engineering team to perform the test. The engineering team is also trained in how to do that test, but they are less confident so they asked me to come in in the morning and sit next to them. Despite the fact that I live very close. They could have just called me from home and I could have been there in 15 minutes. My boss also needed me to get them to sign the document so that the company could receive payment. The company had still not been paid for the instrument (it was delivered and set up and all that) and I absolutely was told not to leave without getting the signature from them. I also gave them a free kit so they could test the instrument themselves to make sure it worked for what they needed it for (that component is worth over $1000 if they paid for it themselves). And I followed up to ask how their test went.

So, quite frankly, I probably won't go back to Arya's lab now unless my coworker absolutely cannot make it in himself. I offered to coordinate the training for Arya and her coworkers for the second instrument (either led by myself or my coworker) and they refused, said they didn't need it. Ok.

I was just talking to my coworker on the phone now about Sansa's training. He has a very busy schedule coming up. Let's see how picky she is about when the training is. It is difficult to be picky about both the date of the training and who your trainer is unless you are willing to wait until 2019.

Yeah, some clients require more hand-holding than others and some are more irritable, I'm still working on getting all the balances right.

You don't get paid?

But yeah, framing it in my mind, my goal that day was to support the engineers and get the signature for my boss and his bosses so the company could get paid. I offered training to the customers and they declined, so I thought I was just staying out of their hair by keeping to myself until I actually had to start the tests.

But yeah, framing it in my mind, my goal that day was to support the engineers and get the signature for my boss and his bosses so the company could get paid. I offered training to the customers and they declined, so I thought I was just staying out of their hair by keeping to myself until I actually had to start the tests.
    I get it. It's hard to please everyone, and sometimes it's not possible. Some people need to complain, or want a feeling of power, or a sense of control. It's been awhile since I've had to deal with those sorts. You do what you can, but don't take it too personally.

I get it. It's hard to please everyone, and sometimes it's not possible. Some people need to complain, or want a feeling of power, or a sense of control. It's been awhile since I've had to deal with those sorts. You do what you can, but don't take it too personally.
    I was talking about this to Carol and she said that back in college, she worked at a cheap snack food company as a customer service rep and people would call to complain all the time and about the weirdest things. She said sometimes little kids called in with compliments, but she got a lot of weirdos too.

Update : my coworker met with Sansa today and told him she doesnít at all want me dealing with their account. Ugh. Then my coworker told me another customer we both went to complained about me also, saying I wasnít confident and that made them nervous. This is so frustrating.

Platinum Member
    Update : my coworker met with Sansa today and told him she doesnít at all want me dealing with their account. Ugh. Then my coworker told me another customer we both went to complained about me also, saying I wasnít confident and that made them nervous. This is so frustrating.
    Ugh. Can you shadow someone senior to you to pick up on some tips maybe?

My coworker is my ďmentor.Ē He is the one I have been shadowing. I donít know to what extent this is a gender thing or whatever, if the Asian guy comes off as more competent than the woman? But my educational experience is stronger, but I guess as far as customer communications, I am not as good yet. :/

I donít know what he said to these customers, if anything at all. I donít know if he backed me up and said, actually, Annie has a phd and years of experience with....Ē or if he is just letting them vent.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice