Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Taking negative customer feedback

I think the other thing I can do is to really emphasize they read and study the pre-training materials and videos. I always send them out (like I did this time) but I probably need to emphasize they do the pre-work and see if they did it. I hate to be so school teacher ish but maybe thatís what I need to do?

Donít be condescending. Youíll lose your audience immediately. Donít be school teacher ish, but be educational. There is a difference.

If your customers canít learn your product in two days, thatís on your team. It really is. You need an education plan that makes the product attainable. If that means pre lesson, two weeks of practice, and then returning to review, answer questions, and learn more, so be it.

Do you talk to them like the post ďyou canít really learn how to do (blank) in two daysĒ? That would super turn me off as a customer. It feels condescending rather than constructive. Thatís a different tone than ďthis material is very complicated, so feel free to stop me with any questions. We may not get through everything, but Iím always available for supportĒ

And if youíre on accounts, youíre sales - even if your title doesnít say so. If youíre customer facing, youíre sales. So my advice doesnít change.

For this customer, I definitely didn't talk to them like this is too hard to do in 2 days - actually because they have our other products, I had confidence in them that they would learn how to use this quicker than my average customers because this model they just bought is easier to use. And I definitely emphasized that I live close by so it is no problem at all for me to come back anytime to help them out. I guess we'll see. The sales person is meeting with the lab this week and she's going to get more of their feedback and see what parts of the training didn't work for them. I hope to use that information constructively. I definitely don't want to go back to this lab though. I just don't like how they handled things. Like, if you have a problem with my training, you need to tell me right then and there, not text your boss who is on vacation!

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by annie24
    I think the other thing I can do is to really emphasize they read and study the pre-training materials and videos. I always send them out (like I did this time) but I probably need to emphasize they do the pre-work and see if they did it. I hate to be so school teacher ish but maybe thatís what I need to do?
    Instead of being school teacherish, you can send out an email a week before the training to request questions from the reading/videos so that you can be sure to cover that info in your presentation.

In this case, the lab wanted training right after getting the instrument, so there was 1 week between their purchase and the training. Which is really fast for us but we tried to accommodate them. Maybe more time for them to get prepared (and book a room) might have helped.

So,.. my boss called the lab head and then he called me after their talk. He said that the lab would have preferred a more formal training, but my boss didn't challenge them on the fact that they didn't reserve a conference room (i don't know why he didn't). The lab also said they were nervous because they had a question about another one of their machines (not the one I was training on) and i said "i'm not trained on that machine but I can find out the answer for you" and I did. My boss explained that no one on our team is trained on every one of our products, we just have too many products. But he said that he wouldn't have sent me in if i wasn't qualified. And then the lab head said that they like me (what??!!) but that they thought I overestimate their abilities (what?!!?) The thing is, this lab has been a user of our machines for years, so I didn't go in and talk to them like I do to a first time user. I watched them in the lab and saw they had a good understanding of things so I trusted them and i didn't hold their hand. So I guess this lab was very anxious and nervous and they wanted more hand holding. My boss asked what topics they didn't feel were adequately covered, the lab head didn't have a response. He asked if they feel confident to use the machine now and she said they are. (???) So.... they don't need a new training just yet, they'll let us know. My boss told me that's the first time he's ever heard that as a complaint- that we were confident in their abilities. He said he's heard the opposite complaint - where someone complains they have treated like a novice when they are really an expert.

Platinum Member
    So what I would do is be more transparent "today I plan to cover C and D but not A and B because I presume you've already been trained in A and B. But I am happy to review A and B if you believe it is needed".

I still covered all of the same presentations, but kind of spun them like, "you are used to doing X on Machine A, but on your new machine B, you are going to follow a different procedure." my boss suggested that at the end, I do a quick review of all the topics we covered and see if there are questions or did they want more information.

Originally Posted by annie24
    This is a great idea. One way to get them to review the material might be to send it and tell them you'll check back at x time in order to gather comments, questions and concerns. Stress that their feedback on the material will drive your approach to their training session, so their review is a crucial step to receiving training that is tailored to their team's needs.

On the plus side, I received a nice customer compliment when I helped the customer with some data analysis. The customer contacted the sales guy, who forwarded the nice email to me and my boss, so it's good to know I'm doing something right.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice