I must have taken a wrong turn someplace.

3 years ago I had a well paid job, it involved traveling a lot and I really enjoyed it, but after I got fired due to my then-boss having tax issues, I have constantly had problems with money and jobs - either I end up working my a off like 210-215 hours a month for a salary that's below average or I am unemployed for months or weeks, having to ask for money - it feels like some sort of neverending spiral.

The worst part is that I took loans while I had that good job and all of a sudden I was unable to repay them and in order not to ask my family again I took more and more and now I'm in deep debt, recieving numerous threats by debt collectors for a year already, I have no money to file for bancrupcy and soon I will have to go to court.

Everything seemed relatively fine until last week I got fired due to job cuts and my already depressive mood went on a roller-coaster ride.

Now I'm staying with my girlfriend, we do have little savings but if I don't manage to find anything in 2 weeks I don't know what I'm going to do.

Without my girlfriend I would be forced to live on the street by now, and now that I got fired it feels like I am about to go completely nuts, neither I have a degree that would allow me to earn more, neither I can take classes because they cost money or I could not work while I'm taking them, If i get sued then my accounts will be frozen and I would have limited access to the little money I have now.

I'm financially a complete mess and it feels like there is no escape from this cycle, it has been going on for 3 years like this and it's awful.

There is help out there. There is free financial advisors and dept/credit help. Just google it and you will find one close to you in your area. Contact them and they will set you straight.

In future, don't do loans, or buy anything on credit and sock away at least 4 to 5 months of wages just in case you find yourself unemployed.

What the poster above said. Also, when you are that deep in trouble, you do need to consult with a bankruptcy lawyer. Consultations are free. Get the fees together to file even if you have to beg from friends and family. If you have a car, sign up to drive for uber and lyft. Get any job at all - even if it's fast food or busing tables. Lots of places are starting to hire for temp holiday work. That alone will get you the funds you need to file for bankruptcy fairly quickly. Get your money out of your accounts before they get levied if you know for a fact it's coming.

The job that you had isn't coming back. So now you have to get pragmatic. What can you do to make $100 today? Where I'm at, warehouses are hiring like crazy. If you are a warm body and can lift 50lbs you are hired. Just show up for work on time and they are paying $15/hr and up. If you need to get back on your feet, stop searching for what you lost and do what you can do today.

My guess is that your spending habits were out of control before you lost your job but you were somehow able to hide them by making enough money to cover all of your payments. This is evidenced by the fact that you took loans out while you had this job that you can no longer cover.

Scrambling to meet debt obligations is majorly stressful, however it goes much deeper than this... why did you decide to get the loans and go into debt in the first place?

As other posters have said... there is help out there for your financial situation, you just need to seek it out. That being said, there are likely more underlying issues that are holding you back from being successful in life and that caused you to spend impulsively and recklessly in the first place.

Seek help for your fiances, and also for helping you move forward in other areas. When things are big and seem impossible, often if we break them down into smaller chunks we can tackle each situation one by one. It will take a long time and lots of effort but you can absolutely get out of this if you really want to.... you just have to commit to doing it.

Yeah, you need to talk to someone with some personal finances experience. For example, if you're in the US, bill collectors are not suppose to harass you and there's really nothing they can do to you for non-collateralized (credit card) loans. You should call the credit card companies and have them freeze the interest charges. They can sue you, but most won't do that because a judge could go easy on you and they wouldn't get their money. You should also sell off anything of any value that you've bought. You might also sell off your car to get rid of your car loan and buy a junker to drive until you get a job. Then just concentrate on getting a job. You probably don't want to declare bankruptcy. Once you have money, you can often settle loans for 50 cents on the dollar with lump sum payments. There's a way out. Nobody's going to break your legs or throw you in debtors prison.

Archived