Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Am I being unreasonable?

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared

Am I being unreasonable?

My mom and step dad are adopting their great grandson. The child will be left to me and my husband when they are gone and become my child. I have requests about his upbringing for my mother. It would be something she would have to participate in and put effort into. I already approached the subject and I am getting resistance.

Platinum Member
    I'm sorry. I haven't been following all of your posts. Why are your mom and stepdad doing this, and is this your child they're adopting? What is the reason they're doing this?

Silver Member
    You are going to have to be more specific about the request.

Yes I am confused too. Why is this happening and how old is the child?

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    Originally Posted by DanZee
    I'm sorry. I haven't been following all of your posts. Why are your mom and stepdad doing this, and is this your child they're adopting? What is the reason they're doing this?
    No, not my child. Their great grandson. My niece had a baby when she was 15 and the babyís father was 14. My niece has intellectual disability due to having a stroke as an infant . And the father has a developmental disability . My great nephew is now 14 months old and was taken into care of CAS a month ago . My mom and her husband who is the childís biological great grandfather. When they pass away this child becomes mine . I am the only family member capable of taking him. His own grandmother ( my step sister ) has 6 children of her own. Her siblings donít want to take him. My brother doesnít want another child as he has 3. I am the only family member willing to take him upon my motherís passing.

My own biological child is 21.

My request is that the child is baptized and sent to a Catholic school as we are a Catholic family,my husband and our son and myself.

Platinum Member
    That sounds extremely reasonable especially if the child is already Christian. And it is very generous of you and loving and caring to accept this responsibility and child.

Originally Posted by Batya33
    That sounds extremely reasonable especially if the child is already Christian. And it is very generous of you and loving and caring to accept this responsibility and child.
    No, the child has no religion and neither does my mom. She left the Church 50 years ago.

Silver Member
    Could you offer to be the godparent and take the child to church with you? Your mom might not be interested in being part of the church again, maybe you could take on that part. And deal with the school when the time comes.

Originally Posted by arjumand
    Could you offer to be the godparent and take the child to church with you? Your mom might not be interested in being part of the church again, it you could take on that part.
    No, I canít. I live 3 hours away. I only visit every 2 months or so for a weekend. And part of that weekend is spent with my in-laws too.

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice