Vomiting toddler

BecxyRex

Hi everyone,

I’d greatly appreciate some words of wisdom or encouragement.

My daughter is 1.5 and since Thursday night has had this strange stomach bug that causes her to vomit. The first night was rough and she threw up about 5 times, buckets full it seemed.

We took her to her pediatrician on Friday and were told it’s likely a virus that needs to run it’s course. She should’ve been fine by Monday.

She threw up again once on Saturday and again on Monday. Fine yesterday, then today she threw up once again paired with diarrhea.

We took her in again today and everything seems fine except the vomiting. No fever, stomach sounds good, feels good, ears are clear. The doctor ordered an x-ray to eliminate any twists etc. I reluctantly agreed to it and we’re now waiting for results. I know they would’ve called already if something were seriously wrong. I just can’t help but worry.

She eats fine, a bit less than normal, but that’s expected. I switched her to a lactose free milk for the time being. I just hope everything is ok and we’ll be back to normal soon. Does anyone have experience with this?

I would watch her closely for any signs of lethargy. Kids go down hill much faster than adults with lack of fluids. Maybe give her some Pedialyte to make sure that her electrolytes are in balance . I wouldn’t worry about the food so much as I would hydration . Hydration is the key with vomiting and diarrhoea . Don’t hesitate to take her back in if you’re concerned .

Sorry that your little one is ill that that is always so scary ! I remember that with my son. My son had to be hospitalized with IVs once for dehydration .

Yup, I agree about the Pedialyte. If she's throwing up that much, the poor thing will get dehydrated quickly and then you'll have a lot more problems. I got dehydrated because of the medicine I was on and wound up in the hospital first for three days, then for four says.

I agree with the posts that pointed out that regular vomiting can lead to dehydration and that you need to watch your child closely for signs of lethargy or other irregularity. Your doctor has probably told you what to do about dehydration. Follow their instructions closely and go ASAP back to the hospital if something seems wrong. Imo, internet forums are not a good place to discuss medical issues.

Thanks everyone! Definitely keeping her hydrated. Seraphim, I can’t imagine how scary it must’ve been for you! Glad it’s in the past.

Clio, I’m currently waiting on doc results, I was mainly curious if anyone had experience with prolonged and random throwing up in toddlers.

Hi Becxy, aww your poor baby, I don't have kids but I have a pup and hate it when she vomits, so can sort of relate.

I am wondering if it could be some sort of a food allergy? I know they checked for lactose intolerance but did they check for others, say a peanut allergy?

A woman I used to work with -- her son had been vomiting and tested positive for it, at about your daughter's age.

Even if she didn't digest actual peanuts, trace amounts can still be found in many foods we eat which can make children and adults with an allergy to it very very sick.

I hope this gets resolved soon and that your little one feels better soon!

Why did you hesitate to have this appropriate testing for an obstruction? If she doesn't improve, you need to go to an emergency center. Who told you to give her (lactose free) milk?

The doctor ordered an x-ray to eliminate any twists etc. I reluctantly agreed to it and we’re now waiting for results.
Thanks everyone! Definitely keeping her hydrated. Seraphim, I can’t imagine how scary it must’ve been for you! Glad it’s in the past.

Clio, I’m currently waiting on doc results, I was mainly curious if anyone had experience with prolonged and random throwing up in toddlers.

It was when I figured out my son had migraines. He would from toddler on just get sick and vomit at random times. It was too often. One time he was close to collapse so I brought him in to the hospital. They re hydrated him with IV’s. Then when he was about six it dawned on me that he had migraines like me and my mom . Because he would get a headache go pasty white and start vomiting .

It does sound like a long time and I'm not a doctor but I would think it could be an allergy. Good for you for trying the lactose free. I hope she is much better soon. i was hospitalized as a baby because of a stomach virus and the risk of dehydration - all worked out.... sorry you are going through this!

Thanks everyone for your advice!

Kat, thanks for chiming in! There actually seems to be no food allergy and from what we found out, it’s a very persistent bug that was probably prolonged by giving her dairy which is hard on the stomach when they are battling with something like that. I made the mistake and kept giving her evening bottle of milk which we have done for ever now. Switching to lactose free for the time being has tremendously helped! She’s muuuch better!!

Hi wiseman, I appreciate your comment. So the reason why I was hesitant is because her doc didn’t make it sound like it was a necessaty at this point. She said I can watch her for 48 more hours and eliminate milk and trade for lactose free for the time being OR have an x ray done now. I’m always a bit nervous about x rays especially at such a young age, but I opted for doing it now rather than wait. That’s what I meant. Hope it makes sense. And the results came back normal, there’s nothing wrong with her stomach!!

Seraphim, I’m sorry you had to deal with that. Migraines are no fun and I’m glad you found out that that was the cause for your sons vomiting.

So yeah, she’s much better!! X rays are normal and she hasn’t thrown up today and has eaten much better too. I’m so relieved!

Archived