Dating a guy who is moving

kayj1216

Hi so I just started dating this guy I met online. I was in an abusive relationship for years which ended in him cheating. My ex had me convinced I would never find anyone and then this guy walked in, it was only a couple months after me relationship ended and at that point I never thought I would be happy again but there was a connection right from the start. we can talk for hours and its never awkward he has made me happier than I have ever been before. The problem is we have only dated for about a month, haven't even slept together, and he tells me he is moving in a few months for work and to be closer to his son. I really like him and he has told me he feels the same however he did say we are too early in the relationship for him to expect me to move, I have a career here and a child with my ex so I can't just pack up and move. This broke my heart and I can't stop thinking about him. Should I tell him how I feel and suggest to continue dating for the next couple of months or just leave it.

How far away is the move?

It's tricky, these things, because we want to protect our hearts, but, of course, a heart needs to be open to gather real information. Is the distance so far that you'd be "long distance," or just "longer distance"?

I don't know. Me, I'd ride it out, because that's kind of how I roll. I'm three months into something with someone who may have to move to the other side of the country in Jan. I don't love thinking about that, but I also don't know where we'll be then, and for me it's worth exploring things to see. That said, I have a mobile job so could head over there if things pointed in that direction.

Anyhow, it's really up to you. I wouldn't have too many chats about this with him, since you're so new, still undefined, and not even yet sleeping together.

Why would he get on Tinder and date local women when he knew he would be moving very soon? I know that if I were moving in 90 days, dating locally would be the last thing I'd be doing. I'd be busy packing and my mind would be all about my future in the new location.

You've just exited a horrible relationship and yet you immediately jumped into something new without giving yourself a year to heal? You're clearly not ready to date since you expect a man to be the source of your joy, versus finding joy solo and being emotionally ready to share that joy with a companion.

You're wearing rose-colored glasses and missing red flags about this guy, with his willingness to date so soon before a big move. Another possibility? He's running scared from you because you're clinging to him like some lifeboat.

My advice is to be alone. Get therapy since you're carrying around emotional baggage that will have you picking the same inappropriate men over and over until you've sought help. Learn to be happy alone before you try dating again. And with your past, I'd consider meetups.com or take up a hobby or volunteer work as good places to meet men. Online dating is a rough place that even the toughest people find difficult to handle. Take care.

Archived