Setting boundaries

Sam93

Whenis the best time to discuss boundaries for a relationship? If you talk about it too soon will it run the person off? And if you wait to long, we’ll, thst could be a disaster too.

I’ve had a few great dates with a guy and things are progressing forward. I’d really like to set some boundaries on sex, but don’t want to seem to forward or to prudish.

You should be open about your boundaries, preferably before it gets sexual. However, it is okay at any point to state them, even during or after sexual activities have taken place if that's already happened at this point. I suggest not to state them if they aren't at least headed into a sexual direction yet (aka your partner isn't showing any interest in that yet - you don't want to be in the awkward position of assuming they want to be sexual when they don't, or anything of the like). If this person has indicated anything sexual with you, then that's your opening to bring it up.

What are your boundaries?

You don't "discuss boundaries". You simply have yours and adhere to them. After a "few great dates", you observe the other person.

Also "a few dates" is not a relationship and no form of 'relationship talk' is needed at this point. Again, decide on your boundaries and enforce them, for example if you want an exclusive dating situation before sex, etc..

The actions you take are your boundaries. It's not your dates' job to enforce your boundaries, it's yours.

Whenis the best time to discuss boundaries for a relationship?

I’ve had a few great dates with a guy and things are progressing forward. I’d really like to set some boundaries on sex, but don’t want to seem to forward or to prudish.

You don't "discuss boundaries". You simply have yours and adhere to them. After a "few great dates", you observe the other person.

Also "a few dates" is not a relationship and no form of 'relationship talk' is needed at this point. Again, decide on your boundaries and enforce them, for example if you want an exclusive dating situation before sex, etc..

The actions you take are your boundaries. It's not your dates' job to enforce your boundaries, it's yours.

Good advice!!!!

Thanks WiseMan, that’s just what I needed to hear. And yes, exclusivity before sex is exactly the boundary I’m trying to set. I haven’t done that before and I got burned pretty bad. So I’m trying to set my self up better with this current man.

I discussed them as they came up. With one exception (with an ex where we were considering getting back together) I never had sex without being exclusive and typically waited months before having sex. Some men were not comfortable with this -most were and/or felt the same way about sex.

Archived