The breakup is hard on my end

otumleaf

This may be long and I apologize... I will start from the beginning.

It all started last year around April. A new guy who started at my job in February liked me. I found out through work friends of mine. He actually talked to my work friend and asked him if it was okay for him to pursue me. I kind of understood knowing the type of relationship my work friend and I had, I considered him like a brother. I didn't really think of this guy as someone I would date because I was older than him (I had just turned 40 and he was 24) we did get along very well and I enjoyed being around him.

I thought more about it and thought maybe I would give it a shot if he approached me... He did and told me his intentions on dating me. I was still shocked even though i knew. He was so much more mature than most of the guys I have dated and my ex husband. I thought why not give it a shot.

Over the next couple of months I find myself falling in love with him. I was scared because of our age difference but he seemed so sure. I put away most of the doubts I had and continued with the relationship.

I got sick and found out I had MS and he was right there with me all the way. That's where I started to get scared. I didn't want to burden him with my mess, so I went silent, didn't really talk to him about anything. I became scared that he would leave me..... He did a couple of weeks ago. He said it was because it seemed like he was trying to hold on to our relationship and I wasn't. I tried to explain but by this time he was over it. I am crushed.

It's easier that I don't work in the same building with him anymore but we have a training tomorrow and he will be there. I haven't seen him in about three weeks with minimal contact. I have cried everyday since the breakup. I don't think he will come back but he wants to be friends at least and I can't handle that. I feel like I am slowly losing it. I feel embarrassed that I let this young guy get me all in my feelings and now he wants nothing more to do with me. I'm just finding it hard to let go. I have to let go.

Sorry to hear this is happening. Take care of yourself and your health first and foremost. Make sure you have excellent physical and emotional care. He's a kid and not as "mature" as you thought.

It may have been flattering after your divorce to have a younger guy show interest in you but when you got sick he found an excuse to exit, and then blamed it on you.

Act polite and professional if you must see him, but redirect your focus to real friends, family, therapists and grown up men.

A new guy who started at my job in February liked me.

I had just turned 40 and he was 24. He was so much more mature than most of the guys I have dated and my ex husband.

I got sick and found out I had MS. I became scared that he would leave me..... He did a couple of weeks ago. He said it was because it seemed like he was trying to hold on to our relationship and I wasn't.

Umm. The way you wrote this, you pushed your bf away and now you're saying you're crushed that he wants to have nothing to do with you? Huh?

Why don't you take him out and tell him you made a mistake and you want to try again. Tell him the reason you pushed him away was because of the MS. You might be able to turn this around if you want. Otherwise, don't blame this on him.

Archived