LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Boyfriend and cell phones

Boyfriend and cell phones

Yes there is a 26 year age gap. We have been together for 10 months and other than this we have no real issues. I use my phone for social media texting etc where as he barely texts no social media.

When we're in the car driving I will look at my phone, check social media, reddit etc. at night before bed. He says thats time we can be talking so I agreed I would be on it less.

I literally spent the whole day with him and when we go in the house I sat down and looked at reddit. He immediately said why do I always have to be on my phone. I didnt touch it during our meal or during the car ride. Im reading the news and such.

He acts like my phone is a social disease and to use it too much is a sin honestly. Its not just me though he stated he doesn't understand why people are so obsessed with cell phones. I told him I'm not obsessed. I like using my cell phone and just because he dosent doesnt mean everyone else has to stop. When he saw i was getting upset he said he was just kidding, but I don't think he is because of how much he brings it up.

Any suggestions will be helpful

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    It is just generational difference.

Platinum Member
    How often do you see him?

You're not compatible. He sounds like a dad talking to his kid, not like a partner.
    Originally Posted by ChrisStaten
    He acts like my phone is a social disease and to use it too much is a sin honestly. Its not just me though he stated he doesn't understand why people are so obsessed with cell phones. I told him I'm not obsessed. I like using my cell phone and just because he dosent doesnt mean everyone else has to stop.

I don't really think it's about you using the phone as such or even a generation gap.

If you are really just off reading whatever while you two are driving some place, that is kind of rude of you. He isn't your chauffeur where you get to sit and relax and catch up on your news and social media while he takes you places. People normally actually do spend that time chatting.

Reading between the lines, it comes across like there is a lack of a deeper connection between you and he isn't happy. Part of that lack may well be due to the age difference as well. You don't really have that much in common and it does lend itself more to a parent/child dynamic rather than an adult connection.

Just put it away when y'all are together. You're not going to die if you don't check reddit or texts for a few hours. Go to the bathroom and check it real quick if you can't handle it.

8. 10-05-2018, 07:08 PM
    Reason
    Trolling

Platinum Member
    Your boyfriend sounds controlling. What else is he doing? Are you having arguments? Do you have anything in common? Does he treat you like a kid? Think about it. There may be other issues in your relationship than just your cell phone use.

Platinum Member
    I agree with your boyfriend.

You should not be checking REDDIT when you are together if you are on a date.

You should:
    Use your phone to get directions while you are out together, to check hours to a restaurant.
    to say "aunt Millie is in the hospital - i am going to check in with my mom or texts later to make sure she got through it okay"

Platinum Member
    I do think 26 years is a little too large of a gap IMHO

12. 10-05-2018, 07:26 PM
    Reason
    Trolling

Silver Member
    Originally Posted by DancingFool
    I don't really think it's about you using the phone as such or even a generation gap.

If you are really just off reading whatever while you two are driving some place, that is kind of rude of you. He isn't your chauffeur where you get to sit and relax and catch up on your news and social media while he takes you places. People normally actually do spend that time chatting.

Reading between the lines, it comes across like there is a lack of a deeper connection between you and he isn't happy. Part of that lack may well be due to the age difference as well. You don't really have that much in common and it does lend itself more to a parent/child dynamic rather than an adult connection.
    I also agree that it's quite rude. It reminds me of my ex who used to take out his cell on the minute we sat down to eat at a restaurant, or at home while we were watching TV. Very rude, IMO. You make it sound like its such an effort to not use your cell while you are with him. Use it when he's doing something on his own. Seriously. You are more addicted to it than you realise.

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice