My ex blocked me

Jtbelieve

My ex and I broke up 1.5 years ago. We were very close friends before we dated. We went through a lot together, including losing our friend to suicide. Eventually we were living different lives and decided to break up.

The last time we saw each we were at a funeral. He introduced me to his new girlfriend and I was ok with it. A few days after he called me and we spoke on the phone for an hour. Having a good conversation and speaking about being on good terms in the future. A few weeks later him and his girlfriend have blocked me off all social media. He has also blocked my number so I can’t text him. I don’t want to be with him but I’m bothered at the fact that this happened after our pleasant conversation. Why would be block me after all that?

Yeah, I think the girlfriend told him to block you. She saw you as competition and that he still has feelings for you. That's one of the reasons people on ENA say to cut all contact with exes. Things get too complicated by trying to remain friends with exes, especially when other people enter the picture. Sorry. Don't take it personally.

Sorry to hear this. However he may be trying to establish better boundaries. Many people do not want to be best friends with an ex or date anyone who is. It's best after 1.5 years to move on and only be polite and cordial if such an event brings you together.

My ex and I broke up 1.5 years ago. we spoke on the phone for an hour. A few weeks later him and his girlfriend have blocked me off all social media. He has also blocked my number so I can’t text him.

An ex will always choose whom they don't want to lose. So, he chose to block you. It's so telling they both blocked you, which means it was an issue with the current gf. If he truly was a friend, he wouldn't have done so. Thats why you need to choose how a relationship will be with an ex very carefully. If there's a chance of them dropping you from contact, for a new partner, you should drop them first. I know it hurts but don't dwell on it. I had a guy friend do this to me. His fiancée is so insanely jealous, he blocked me everywhere. 18 years of friendship down the drain because she's insecure, an alcoholic, and had blow out fights about me to the point of physical violence. And he, well.....desperate to hang onto her. It happens.

When someone shows you they can discard you, you need to let them.

Yup to all of the above. He and gf had a chat, gf wasn't comfortable, he's respecting gf, even respecting himself a bit (perhaps) by acknowledging that a friendship with you remains a tough complicated.

I know it sucks, but it has nothing to do with his feelings for you, respect for you, appreciation of you. He's just looking out for his present situation in life, best he can, and the biggest thing you can do is respect that, tough as it is, since there's an inherent inelegance to the "block." In some utopian world he'd send you a note explaining all this, then do it, but even in that utopian world that note would undercut his intentions, so it's one of those sad Catch-22s.

he called me and we spoke on the phone for an hour.

If I was his current girlfriend, I wouldn't like my boyfriend to call his ex and speak to her for an hour. I'd be pissed.

This isn't about jealousy, insecurity, or any of the other names we can call her. This is about boundaries.

And yes, he chose to keep her happy (as he should), rather than keeping the string of a friendship with you going. He's probably getting pretty serious with her, and this is what his life will look like: her, a house, a couple of dogs, maybe some kiddos. Not some ex-girlfriend whose name he still has in his phone, that he's calling, talking to for an hour.

I used to be very easy-going about exes - until my current partner and the situation with his ex. It didn't bother me at all, until I realised that she was in the habit of phoning late at night, leaving lovey-dovey messages on his phone, posting romantic images on his FB page and contacting him frequently with cutesy videos etc. She'd claim they are just friends.

As others have said, it's about boundaries.

What you may think is maintaining a friendship can feel like disrespect to their relationship, and undermining of it. The fact that you met her and state you were OK with it... sorry, but it seems as though you feel entitled to have some kind of emotionally intimate relationship with him because of your past, regardless of her feelings and how they are together. That's why you're miffed about him not following up on the "nice conversation", that you can't text him etc.

If you really want to be a friend to him, accept that they do not want you present in their relationship and that you are part of his past. They have blocked you because they don't want any more contact with you, at least for the time being, and he wants to move on with his new partner. Hurtful, yes, but sometimes exes really do want to be exes.

There are regular posters on here who would not contemplate having a relationship with someone still involved with an ex, unless it was because of children or other strictly practical reasons, and having been through my recent experiences I have to say I agree with them.

Archived