LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ex at the high school reunion

Ex at the high school reunion

Just some back story...my husband and I have been together for 18 years and married for 15. We have one child. Before dating, we were good friend. About two years before he started dating me, he was in high school and dating a girl I will call Emily. About a year after, he was out of high school and he caught Emily with another guy and they broke up. He was really crazy about Emily.

My husband's 20 year reunion is coming up this weekend. I am not going with him. This will be the first reunion he has attended. Emily will be there. She's married with several kids now. I'm worried about them reconnecting. They haven't seen each other since the day they split up. I feel paranoid and jealous about the situation and I hate feeling that way. Should I say something to my husband or just stay quiet and pretend like I'm fine with everything?

I'm assuming he's been faithful to you for 18 years, so why would you worry? It's insulting to question his integrity.

Don't worry about this. He will be reminiscing with all his classmates.
    Originally Posted by MsBrightside
    My husband's 20 year reunion is coming up this weekend. She's married with several kids now.

I don't see why you would worry about them reconnecting. Surely he doesn't think very highly of her after she cheated on him. Does he still talk about her now? Even after 20 years? I'm sure the flame is long dead and extinguished

No, he's never had an affair. He's a good husband and father and I don't want him to feel like I don't trust him. He doesn't talk about her. I need to move past my insecurities with this.

Gold Member
    Originally Posted by MsBrightside
    No, he's never had an affair. He's a good husband and father and I don't want him to feel like I don't trust him. He doesn't talk about her. I need to move past my insecurities with this.
    Yes, keep repeating this to yourself. Is everything okay in your marriage?

Insecurities stem from somewhere, either within yourself, your past, or in your marriage. I wonder if you had come across anything in your life that would lead to such an insecurity (influence from a past ex, family/friends), or have not achieved/satisfied something in your marriage (kids, goals, emotions, stability, etc). Only you know where this stems from.

Nope. No worries.
    He's got a good life with you & she's got hers. They died many years ago.

Trust him in this... continue to love.

Bronze Member
    He is married to you and you have a child together. The ex is married to someone with whom she has children. Why would either party wish to spoil that? She cheated on him and you presumably haven't so again, why would he risk going back there? Plus everyone has aged and it's likely there'd be no mutual attraction anyway. I can understand why you are feeling insecure but I doubt you have reason to worry.

My husband's 20 year reunion is coming up this weekend. I am not going with him. This will be the first reunion he has attended. Emily will be there. She's married with several kids now.
    I understand this was not your question, but how do you know that "Emily will be there," and the fact that she's "married with several kids now?"

Originally Posted by HeartGoesOn
    I understand this was not your question, but how do you know that "Emily will be there," and the fact that she's "married with several kids now?"
    They arranged their reunion through Facebook and I could see that she was listed as saying she would be there. We're from a small town originally, so everyone knows everything about everyone. I've heard through the grapevine that she's married with kids. We all went to the same school but we graduated at different times.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice