Feel like I have made a mistake....

Leo781

I am now 40 years old & have lived all my life working in call centres & to be honest I hate it, I'm sick of being yelled at by customers over the phone. Everytime I picked up the phone it fills me with dread. The problem is I have never worked in anything else do don't have any experience in any other industries.

Earlier this year in March I was made redundant from my previous employer, and whilst initially I felt scared I saw it as an opportunity to try something different. When I applied for Universal Credit (Jobseekers) I was also told that I would be eligible for adult training, so I grabbed the opportunity & took some online courses. I was job hunting for something else at the same time, however applying for roles other than Customer Services/Call centres. Roles such as Apprenticeships or administration but was unsuccessful (probably due to lack of experience).

In August a call centre in my area started taking on more staff. I thought I should go ahead & apply for the role because it wouldn't look good with the jobcentre if I didn't apply whilst claiming Universal Credit, plus I was getting low on income. I had an interview & was successful. At the time I felt relieved however only a few weeks later I am feeling that this was a huge mistake.

The shifts are a lot longer then in previous jobs as well as having to travel further away. I dread taking every call knowing its going to be an angry caller & having to deal with it. I have never been good with confrontations & complaint handling & feel that I am better than this, I just don't know what it is.

This is on my mind all the time even on days off. I am constantly feeling anxious & not able to think or enjoy other things in life. I know that I am still new in my role & part of me thinks 'give it a chance' but I am also reminded of why I never wanted to work in call centres again.

At the moment I am currently constantly applying for other roles, I know that I cannot just quit the job I am in now because it would prevent from claim Universal Credits, however on the other hand I do need to consider my health & well being. Does anyone have any advice for me?

If you want to switch your job - then its up to you to prove fit for a supervisory role in a call center in order to move up the ranks or to seek additional training - on your own - and not just because an employer provides it. If you are good at the customer service part, maybe a non-call center job in sales or customer service? There is a lot of call for skilled trade and health care jobs as well right now -- you could train for something radically different

Yeah, I think that you would be better off finding a new job. I don't blame you for not wanting to work at a call center. I think you have to be able to be really cheerful and let their rants roll off your back. If that isn't you, then find something else where you can make an equivalent amount of money. I'd probably be a janitor before I'd work at a call center, that's just me. I like cleaning. :)

My interests vary from travelling to politics. I wanted to be a travel agent when I was younger however that was before the internet came around. I wouldn't mind a role in online travel, or as a political researcher. I applied for an apprenticeship with a local government but was unsuccessful (they did however advise me would keep me on their database for a year). I would like an office or administration job working a monday - friday 9-5 role

For me I think its a case of I've always worked in call centres but never known anything different. I would love to go back to further education, just a case of being able to afford it.

For the time being, I'm concerned about my wellbeing, as this new role can be stressful. I have spent the weekend applying for other work just waiting for a response. I'm starting to suffer from anxieties & am thinking of going to see a doctor. I don't think I can just quit this job as wouldn't be able to claim Universal Creidts afterwards, plus not good on my CV (or resume as it is in the US)

Well, call center/telemarketing jobs are high stress and the turnover is massive. So it's not surprising you feel the way you do. You just have to keep applying for other jobs. Do you have any friends that are in a company that can look out for openings. Most jobs are not advertised and are obtained by networking with friends and family members. I once got a job by sending resumes out to companies listed in the phone book. I got hired by a small company where the president of the company opened all email and I got hired for six months. So don't be afraid to send out resumes or call up companies and ask if there are any openings. Also receptionists are the best source of information because they know what's happening in the company and can tell you if it's looking for someone. Sp hang in there.

My interests vary from travelling to politics. I wanted to be a travel agent when I was younger however that was before the internet came around. I wouldn't mind a role in online travel, or as a political researcher. I applied for an apprenticeship with a local government but was unsuccessful (they did however advise me would keep me on their database for a year). I would like an office or administration job working a monday - friday 9-5 role

For me I think its a case of I've always worked in call centres but never known anything different. I would love to go back to further education, just a case of being able to afford it.

For the time being, I'm concerned about my wellbeing, as this new role can be stressful. I have spent the weekend applying for other work just waiting for a response. I'm starting to suffer from anxieties & am thinking of going to see a doctor. I don't think I can just quit this job as wouldn't be able to claim Universal Creidts afterwards, plus not good on my CV (or resume as it is in the US)

You have to have another reason to employers why you want an administrative job beyond "wanting to work 9 to 5". In truth, sometimes you will have to come in early for a meeting or stay late until the job is done. There are very few jobs that are 9 to 5. You won't get a role as a political researcher without a polisci degree, or a background in research. If you want to work in an office and be the admin, you need to be current on microsoft office, and depending on the position, you may need to be familiar with quickbooks or other accounting software. You have to focus on what you can do for the company vs what it will do for you. If you want a job like that, use your 4 days off to go to employment agencies to find training. Honestly, when i was 20 and in college people would hire me because of my potential -- i was not already molded by a sales manager who taught me bad habits or such - now that i am in your age group, i am being asked to have a track record. So, figure out how you can interpret your record other than "i sat in a call center" - did you ever take over a team? did you work in a particular sector (for example, my friend was call center for an auto maker and the experience helped her get a job as a follow up customers care person at a big dealership where she makes some calls but actually interacts with customers.

Archived