Word choice

Gtakid

Hey everyone! Just wondering if the word “hangout” should be avoided when asking a girl out. On one hand it keeps a first date casual but I’ve heard that it can be misleading too. I’m always afraid that I’m messing things up with my word choice or my date ideas such as seeing a movie, coffee, etc,.

Just my 2 cents.....I would avoid using the word/term "hangout/hang out" when asking someone on a date. It implies friend zone, or hooking up. You can keep it casual by asking to meet for coffee, lunch, ice cream/walk in the park, meeting first in the daytime, etc.

I like it when a man says "Would you like to meet for lunch next week? I am free any day except xxxxx, " I am also ok with meeting for a late afternoon/early evening drink....it leaves the option open if things are going great-to spend more time - or gives the ability to simply depart after the drink (or two). Hope this helps - good luck!!!!

Why not ask them if they’d like to “go out” sometime instead?

I do think “hangout” sounds as if you’re looking for something more casual, as opposed to a relationship.

I guess it depends on what you’re looking for. If your intention is to date with potential for a relationship, I’d avoid using the term “hangout”.

it really depends on the girl in my opinion. If she likes you she likes you, word choices don't really change a persons perception of you that much.

There's a lot of advice about what to say and etc. etc. etc. How about forget all that and just be yourself. Your going to make more of an impression based on your body language, tone of voice and temperament then your actual vocabulary.

The thing about the word 'hangout' is more about you being unsure of yourself and insecure (it can convey weakness). But like i said before if said confidently and with an air of certainty then the actual meaning of the word, or the context of it really don't matter all that much.

When trying to determine if the girl likes you or not, just imagine a famous star like Brad Pitt. If he asked this girl to 'hangout' you think she would really care all that much about his word choice? Probably not, and the same thing goes for anyone whose interested in you.

Yes. Just cut to the chase and say "do you want to do..." and don't box yourself in with trendy definitions. It could land you in the friendzone. Is that what you mean by "casual"? Just friends? "Hang out" is generally what friends do. "Coffee" is not a date.

On one hand it keeps a first date casual but I’ve heard that it can be misleading too.
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived