It's been a bumpy road but worth it

Annia

Disclaimer: I don't know where I want to go with this thread lol

Almost a year ago I decided to jump into "the adventure of my life". I moved alone to another country. I had to learn the language in a short period of time and adapt to a different culture and work system. At first I moved to a very small and isolated place where there were no people that spoke my language (I'm a big city girl lol ) and recently I moved to a bigger city (still small though) where there are a few people from my country and other factors that make it easier for me.

Before this I was working but not motivated, earning very low salary and living with my mother. I'd like to honestly say that I was living with her just because my salary was too low to rent an apartment in my city but this is not entirely true (just partially)... the truth was plain and simple that I was lazy and was living in my comfort zone. I had everything I needed at reach and I had a very supportive family that despite my shortcomings were there to help me every time I had a problem.

One day I decided that the person I wanted to be was an independent woman, strong and resilient and not the lazy person I was living at her mother's house and suffering from codependency issues. I decided to take responsibility and change. All my life I was given a pass every time I messed up (lots of times)... I was spoiled I must admit.

But for a while I couldn't explain exactly why I wanted to get out of my comfort zone where I literally had everything I wanted (material stuff) with no effort and a very comfortable life to live abroad alone. I wasnt in despair financially or anything and some people thought I was running away or something like that. Here the salary is much better and the work perspectives great but it is difficult to live alone here. I'm not at a studying abroad program or in places with lots of foreigners like me. It's timely and costly to travel home.

My family wanted to help me financially with my move and stuff but I refused all help. I needed to do this on my own and build my life alone. I needed to learn how to be totally reliant on myself.

I've spent a very hard and lonely winter here and only visited home 1 time for a short period of time. Sometimes I felt like an idiot for feeling sad and lonely while other people emigrate for more "valid" reasons than mine: provide a better life for their family or get away from awful situations in their home countries.

But weeks ago the epiphany of exactly why I was doing this came. I realised it was because I wanted for once in my life to build something and accomplish something by myself without the help and privileges I always had. I feel that despite the road still being hard (I moved again and this new work is very demanding and I still feel lonely in this country), I've met amazing people, value my friends and family in my home country more and found my inner strenght and resilience. People like and value my job and effort (despite not being native) I still have a long way to go but for the first time in many many years I feel motivated.

I want to become better in the language, at my job, finally be consistent in working out (got much better at it), more productive, healthier physically and mentally and better at my shortcomings. I'm still a procrastinator but I got much better at it.

I felt that in almost a year I grew up more than in many years. I learned to deal with loneliness in a better way and to listen to my own voice better.

Now that my life is getting in place in this new city (I wasn't totally happy in my former small town in this country despite liking my colleagues and stuff), I think I'm finally ready to find someone when the time comes. I have been avoiding stuff like online dating and stuff because I didn't want to be with someone out of loneliness and was still trying to get my life together in here.

Today I had a very emotional day... I miss my family and friends a lot. But at the same time I feel hopeful. I have no idea where this path will lead me... I wish I had more plans but for now I'm alright like this.

Just to say that no matter what, we can always change and be better, no matter what that is for us. It takes time, effort and sweat and tears. It's a journey with no fixed destination.

I'm sorry you're feeling down today, I hope it passes soon. I admire what you're doing though, it takes a lot of strength and courage.

I hope it takes you down the road you were hoping to go down.

In the meantime, it is helping you grow into a strong person, even in your writing it's visible from the experiences you've gone through.

I sincerely do wish you the best.

Your whole post is fabulous, Annia, especially this:

But weeks ago the epiphany of exactly why I was doing this came. I realised it was because I wanted for once in my life to build something and accomplish something by myself without the help and privileges I always had. I feel that despite the road still being hard (I moved again and this new work is very demanding and I still feel lonely in this country), I've met amazing people, value my friends and family in my home country more and found my inner strenght and resilience. People like and value my job and effort (despite not being native) I still have a long way to go but for the first time in many many years I feel motivated.

What a great observation. We don't always need to know the 'whys' of our choices and experiences in order to trust our intuition and put everything into our pockets for later use. Building resilience is a foundational life skill that will serve you no matter where you go ro what you do.

You were smart to avoid dating while feeling too vulnerable or unstable. Gaining your footing positions you to dabble in dating as you see fit and with the confidence of choice that you won't position you to behave out of neediness.

I hope you'll continue to update us. Your story is inspiring, and I'm especially happy that you're learning to enjoy the experience.

Thank you jibralta. It's scary but very exciting at the same time.

No doubt!

Annia, I am so glad you created this thread; this is something I have talked about doing and wanted to do for a very long time, mostly since my LTR ended almost three years ago!

I've traveled abroad many times since age 22 (Europe, I live in the U.S.) the longest was a year, the others were short vacays (weeks).

I have a cousin in southern France and a friend in the UK and could live with either for a time if I ever chose to 'scratch that itch.'

And the older I get, the harder it is to *not* scratch that itch. In fact, I am pretty much driving my bf crazy at the moment cause I keep talking about it - he thinks it's a distance mechanism because I fear commitment, which may be true on some level, or running away (like others have accused you of) OR maybe it's just my nature to feel free.

Anyway, nuff about me, I do admire you so much for following your heart and true nature, despite the risks, uncertainty and scariness.

At the risk of being too intrusive, would you mind sharing what country you chose to migrate to? Was it difficult finding work or did you have that lined up before the move?

How were you able to make friends, was it difficult?

Again, I admire you so much, and hope you will share more about your experiences, good luck!

I'm sorry you're feeling down today, I hope it passes soon. I admire what you're doing though, it takes a lot of strength and courage.

I hope it takes you down the road you were hoping to go down.

In the meantime, it is helping you grow into a strong person, even in your writing it's visible from the experiences you've gone through.

I sincerely do wish you the best.

Thank you very much for your kind words. Some days are hard yes, and I sometimes feel myself in the darkness of the unknown and never 100% comfortable, but it indeed making me a stronger person. I've came a long way since my first days here.

Your whole post is fabulous, Annia, especially this:

What a great observation. We don't always need to know the 'whys' of our choices and experiences in order to trust our intuition and put everything into our pockets for later use. Building resilience is a foundational life skill that will serve you no matter where you go ro what you do.

You were smart to avoid dating while feeling too vulnerable or unstable. Gaining your footing positions you to dabble in dating as you see fit and with the confidence of choice that you won't position you to behave out of neediness.

I hope you'll continue to update us. Your story is inspiring, and I'm especially happy that you're learning to enjoy the experience.

Thank you very much for your support and kind words. You're right, I think it was good to avoid dating during this time. In the past when I was in my home country I was very needy and was going from "person to person" with no direction and out of neediness, just because I wanted to be with someone and not for the right reasons like really loving that person or feeling that my life with these people was actually better and fulfilling. When I came here I decided I needed to be stronger and have a better and more fulfilling life by myself before I can be open to share it with another person. I'm a bit ashamed to say that this was the longest I've been without "actively dating/trying to date" but it was the best decision I could've made. These have been times with lots of self discovery.

I'll try to keep you posted as it all unfolds.

No doubt!

Annia, I am so glad you created this thread; this is something I have talked about doing and wanted to do for a very long time, mostly since my LTR ended almost three years ago!

I've traveled abroad many times since age 22 (Europe, I live in the U.S.) the longest was a year, the others were short vacays (weeks).

I have a cousin in southern France and a friend in the UK and could live with either for a time if I ever chose to 'scratch that itch.'

And the older I get, the harder it is to *not* scratch that itch. In fact, I am pretty much driving my bf crazy at the moment cause I keep talking about it - he thinks it's a distance mechanism because I fear commitment, which may be true on some level, or running away (like others have accused you of) OR maybe it's just my nature to feel free.

Anyway, nuff about me, I do admire you so much for following your heart and true nature, despite the risks, uncertainty and scariness.

At the risk of being too intrusive, would you mind sharing what country you chose to migrate to? Was it difficult finding work or did you have that lined up before the move?

How were you able to make friends, was it difficult?

Again, I admire you so much, and hope you will share more about your experiences, good luck!

I think it's never too late for this kind of move. I think not everyone needs to change country to find themselves, it can be made wherever we are. But I totally understand "the itch". I always wanted to have a "living abroad experience" but kept on delaying and delaying because I was scared. And unfortunately I've also never travelled much, which is something I want to change now. I really want to adventure myself into travelling alone.

You're not being intrusive at all. I can give you more details through PM if you want, it's just that I avoid giving many specific details here that could lead to my identity because I have this feeling in the back of my head that people that know me in person could be in this forum and I've shared lots of personal things here haha. But I moved from a south European country to a Scandinavian country. The winters here are very dark, like 22h of darkness a day. It was very depressing in the beginning, being that I'm used to the sun lol

This is awesome! Understandable you miss your tribe, but Im gla youre taking the risk, I wish you luck on your journey.

Thank you very much for your words!

Everyone else expressed my sentiments and admiration already. Yes, I agree wholeheartedly and your post is inspirational and heartwarming and even though you are feeling down, still I see the hope and determination in what you write.

As an aside I wanted to add that I really enjoy reading your posts. Thanks!

What lovely, honest, and inspiring post.

Congrats on taking the big leap, and for doing something so, so many people never do—i.e. doing the thing they say they want (even if that want is more like an itch) and seeing what happens. I've been a big admirer of your posts on here, so it's nice to get a little window into where that wisdom comes from. It's been earned, plain and simple.

I can relate very much to this, as my adult life has basically been a series of these adventures, beginning 20 years ago when I bought a one way ticket to Europe and roamed about looking for...well, for the same stuff I'm still looking for. Experience. Connection. Self-understanding. Perspective-expanding. And, yeah, some interesting food and drink.

At some point I kind of started living by the philosophy that if I hear myself say something more than three times (that I'd like to learn to surf, eat street food in Asia, cross a country on a motorcycle, pursue a profession a lot of people think is a recipe for poverty, be more vulnerable with a woman I love) I either need to get up and do it or shut up and own my hubris. The self-reliance that comes with it is a gem, and it's my belief that it's once you know you can walk the walk that you're ready to open up and share the journey with another. So good for you for having the diligence to see that organically (whereas I kind of learned it—oh, am still leaning it!—through some rocky experiments with love and lust).

I know that melancholy feeling well—that slow but sudden wave that washes over you when you're far from your comfort zone, when the giddiness of being alone in a new place gives way to a kind of hollow, gutting ring. In fact, I was in that place myself, less than an hour ago, hiking some cliffs in a place I've never been far from anyone I know.

It's accepting those moments, along with the giddiness, that I've found so much growth and (ultimately) joy in. Sometimes I think I've got a mild addiction to that feeling, that after so many years it's become a comfort zone of sorts, to the point where I crave the feeling of being totally lost as much as I crave the feeling of being totally found (because they are, I think, kind of the same).

Anyhow, I share all that not to hijack your story but just to say: bravo! You're tapping into the reservoirs of strength and resilience that reside in all of us, but sometimes go neglected. I have a hunch that you're in a different hemisphere than I'm in (the whole winter bit) but do know that you're far from alone—not in that smallish city, not in the smallest of towns—even when it feels that way.

Well done.

Question though. Your country of birth..did you HAVE to leave it? Did you feel that you were 'born in the wrong country' so to speak? And, your new country. What did it take for you to move to your new country and start working there? Did you have to put together paperwork a mile long to get a visa, queue at the embassy for hours in the cold? Work permit issues once in the new country? Finding 'unorthodox', so to speak, ways to be able to reside in the new country? Anything of the kind?

Good luck on all your endeavors!

Thank you!

Everyone else expressed my sentiments and admiration already. Yes, I agree wholeheartedly and your post is inspirational and heartwarming and even though you are feeling down, still I see the hope and determination in what you write.

As an aside I wanted to add that I really enjoy reading your posts. Thanks!

Thank you very much. I also really like reading your posts. Even when you were writing on other people's threads, they also helped me to do better in my own life situations.

Wonderful for you! You learned how strong and resilient you are. That is a gift.

Thank you! I'm still learning. It's a day by day process.

What lovely, honest, and inspiring post.

Congrats on taking the big leap, and for doing something so, so many people never do—i.e. doing the thing they say they want (even if that want is more like an itch) and seeing what happens. I've been a big admirer of your posts on here, so it's nice to get a little window into where that wisdom comes from. It's been earned, plain and simple.

I can relate very much to this, as my adult life has basically been a series of these adventures, beginning 20 years ago when I bought a one way ticket to Europe and roamed about looking for...well, for the same stuff I'm still looking for. Experience. Connection. Self-understanding. Perspective-expanding. And, yeah, some interesting food and drink.

At some point I kind of started living by the philosophy that if I hear myself say something more than three times (that I'd like to learn to surf, eat street food in Asia, cross a country on a motorcycle, pursue a profession a lot of people think is a recipe for poverty, be more vulnerable with a woman I love) I either need to get up and do it or shut up and own my hubris. The self-reliance that comes with it is a gem, and it's my belief that it's once you know you can walk the walk that you're ready to open up and share the journey with another. So good for you for having the diligence to see that organically (whereas I kind of learned it—oh, am still leaning it!—through some rocky experiments with love and lust).

I know that melancholy feeling well—that slow but sudden wave that washes over you when you're far from your comfort zone, when the giddiness of being alone in a new place gives way to a kind of hollow, gutting ring. In fact, I was in that place myself, less than an hour ago, hiking some cliffs in a place I've never been far from anyone I know.

It's accepting those moments, along with the giddiness, that I've found so much growth and (ultimately) joy in. Sometimes I think I've got a mild addiction to that feeling, that after so many years it's become a comfort zone of sorts, to the point where I crave the feeling of being totally lost as much as I crave the feeling of being totally found (because they are, I think, kind of the same).

Anyhow, I share all that not to hijack your story but just to say: bravo! You're tapping into the reservoirs of strength and resilience that reside in all of us, but sometimes go neglected. I have a hunch that you're in a different hemisphere than I'm in (the whole winter bit) but do know that you're far from alone—not in that smallish city, not in the smallest of towns—even when it feels that way.

Oh no please, share your stories too. I love reading other people's experiences. That trip to Europe must have been amazing and character building. I have a huge "itch" to travel and I share your perspective on that too, my only problem is that I'm a bit scared of travelling by plane, though I try to suck it up or else I wouldn't be able to come here or visit home haha But I hope to do it soon. As you say, to either "just do it", or shut up. "Walk the walk", as you say. This has been the closest I've "walked the walk", because in the past I was all about "hypothetically" and thinking I knew all the "theory" but never practicing what I preached. I was too scared and set in my own comfortable ways. I still have a long way to go though. There are many things that need perseverance that I still aim to achieve, and perseverance and resilience were never my strong points in the past before I took this step. I always had this tendency I'm trying to change of beginning things but abandon them when they get hard. This is one of the main things I'm fighting to get better at... to sit with the discomfort when I know that discomfort will be beneficial to me and make me a better person.

I'm in the North Hemisphere and you?

One of the nicest, most inspirational threads I have read here on ENA. I wish you well in all you do! You should be very proud of yourself!

Thank you very much! I still have a long way to go, but hope to keep going and be stronger day by day.

Oh no please, share your stories too. I love reading other people's experiences. That trip to Europe must have been amazing and character building.

Annia, I know this^ was meant for bluecastle but allow me to share a share a story with you about my travels through Europe, perhaps it will inspire bluecastle to share one too! :D

So I was traveling with my friend and we decided we wanted to visit a little town called Ierapetra on the island of Crete. So we looked at the bus schedule and found what we thought was the correct bus and hopped on.

The bus ride was CRAZY! It took us across the mountains, along extremely narrow and windy roads with no guard rails, at a speed limit that must have been at least 70 mph! It was more frightening than the scariest roller coaster you’ve ever been on, we were literally holding on to each other for dear life!

Meanwhile the locals thought nothing of it, par for the course, they were fine and trying to calm us down.

Anyway, the bus finally got to its destination and no we did not arrive in the little village called Ierapetra like we thought, we were in some tiny village wherein the “hotel” was a large shack with flies flying all around, NO ONE spoke English, they rode donkeys to get around, and the best part was, the next bus to take us out wasn’t due in until the following week!

They did feed us, which consisted of beans and bread and the “bathroom” was a small outhouse in the back.

They gave us a place to sleep but we chose to sleep on the beach, which was actually beautiful! The Mediterranean was breathtaking, the water was bluer than the bluest sky you’ve ever seen and you could literally see the floor of the sea about half a mile out.

We made the best of it though, spent our days exploring and trying to “blend” in with the locals. The next bus arrived the following week, took us back to the main port and we did end up getting on the right bus and arrived in Ierapetra, which is where we lived for the next three months.

While there, to save money we stomped grapes three times a week! To make the wine, this horrible stuff called Retsina which made us all sick, but anyway...

That is where I met my friend who lives in the U.K, while stomping grapes. We also met lots of other people, including a man named Bill who was also from the U.K., the same town my friend was from (Kent).

I ended up having a “thing” with him but my friend and I eventually had to leave so it ended. I cried and cried, I will never forget how hard I cried! lol Seems silly in retrospect, but I dunno must have been my frame of mind cause I was really upset!

We returned a few months later (I told Bill I was going to) and there was a note from him telling me how much he enjoyed meeting me, etc but that he ended up falling in love with a German woman, a doctor, and moved to Germany to live with her.

The whole vibe there was completely different from when we were there earlier so we left and I think we headed off to our next adventure, I believe it was Italy, which is another story, another time. :D

Ok so, hypothetically, shall we say, Spain to Sweden.

Now, whilst moving countries is a courageous thing to do... I have many many friends who moved from one civilised European country to another, for various reasons - to explore life in other countries, to immerse themselves into different cultures, to have adventures, sometimes even just for better job prospects. What all these people have in common is that, in order for them to make this courageous move they had to basically get some money together and get on a plane. That's it. They got on the plane, they got off the plane, they stayed with friends for a while whilst looking for a job, they found a job, they moved to a place of their own etc etc.

Have a read on the net what it would take for a citizen of say, Uzbekistan, to move to say, the UK. Or Germany. Your first thought would be: they couldn't. They legally cannot even travel to these countries let alone move to them and settle in them. And you'd be right. It is technically not possible. Yet, where there's a will, there's a way. And I speak from experience... for my sins.

I don't mean to diminish what you achieved. I'm just saying, count your lucky stars that you were born in Southern Europe!

Disclaimer: I have nothing to do with Uzbekistan. I just used it as an example.

Now, whilst moving countries is a courageous thing to do... I have many many friends who moved from one civilised European country to another, for various reasons - to explore life in other countries, to immerse themselves into different cultures, to have adventures, sometimes even just for better job prospects. What all these people have in common is that, in order for them to make this courageous move they had to basically get some money together and get on a plane. That's it. They got on the plane, they got off the plane, they stayed with friends for a while whilst looking for a job, they found a job, they moved to a place of their own etc etc.

Have a read on the net what it would take for a citizen of say, Uzbekistan, to move to say, the UK. Or Germany. Your first thought would be: they couldn't. They legally cannot even travel to these countries let alone move to them and settle in them. And you'd be right. It is technically not possible. Yet, where there's a will, there's a way. And I speak from experience... for my sins.

I don't mean to diminish what you achieved. I'm just saying, count your lucky stars that you were born in Southern Europe!

Oh goodness. I cannot disagree more with this type of comparison. You have no idea what it takes for certain people to move out of their comfort zone -and comfort zone is individual. What is the point of comparing especially if you're going to trivialize it to "get on a plane/stay with friends/find a job". Your post does diminish what she shared and achieved IMO and actually I didn't read her post to be "look at me and what I achieved!" - more to share, more to be genuine and transparent and any "achievement" was hers personally -not to compare to anyone else's.

It took a lot for me to move within the USA for the first time in my life at age 43, to move hundreds of miles from my home and family, to be unemployed for the first time in almost 2 decades, to be a newlywed and a new parent. And oh yes we had financial resources and my husband had a great job. To me that was going wayyyy out of my comfort zone and for someone else it might have been no biggie. So what? It wasn't my style back then to share it on a forum like this and I wasn't really active on social media but sure I discussed it with people who also were contemplating similar changes and transitions, shared my feelings of getting out of my comfort zone and it wasn't a comparison game at all nor did I wish it to be one or to suggest to anyone they do what I did.

Sure she is "lucky" to have been able to accomplish her move without the legal obstacles and challenges. But I think that is looking it at far too narrowly. Often it's far more about internal obstacles than logistics. She wrote: "One day I decided that the person I wanted to be was an independent woman, strong and resilient and not the lazy person I was living at her mother's house and suffering from codependency issues. I decided to take responsibility and change. All my life I was given a pass every time I messed up (lots of times)... I was spoiled I must admit." So I dare say this is just as hard if not much much harder than overcoming legal and financial obstacles to moving.

(And the OP welcomed others sharing their stories of adventure so I shared mine -that was my personal leap).

Batya,

I do apologise if my post came across as diminishing the OP's achievement. I won't go into my life story here. Suffice it to say, the ease with which people born in Europe move around the world is a sore subject for me. Compared to what I had to go through to end up where I did, moving from one European country to another is to me akin to jumping on a bus to get to your local supermarket.

OP, please accept my apologies.

I know many people have it much harder than me and I've met several people in this country that came from war zone countries. Hence why I wrote in my post about people who have it much harder than me. I've become friends with some of them.

I'm not saying that my situation is dramatic. Just that it took me courage to move to another country alone without knowing anyone there and no one who spoke my language. It was a change of language (I try to always speak the language and almost never resort to English), culture and work methods and I have much more work responsibility here than I had in my country despite having to work 100% in this language and be on top of my game (hence some of my stress) I'm not going through financial trouble, just psychological hardships and trying to fit in. I've also never been away from family for so long, so that's something new from me.

But in general I have a comfortable life here, specially now that I'm not in a village in the middle of an island.

I know perfectly some people have been through much worse and moved here to save themselves and their families and how traumatic it can be for them.

I was just talking about my journey in particular and how I changed as a person and how one can make changes, whatever they are even when they think their life is stagnating.

Batya,

I do apologise if my post came across as diminishing the OP's achievement. I won't go into my life story here. Suffice it to say, the ease with which people born in Europe move around the world is a sore subject for me. Compared to what I had to go through to end up where I did, moving from one European country to another is to me akin to jumping on a bus to get to your local supermarket.

OP, please accept my apologies.

I understand and I'm sorry you've been through those obstacles. I didn't meant to diminish or trivialize anyone's journey either or say that I had it worse than you or others or that my achievements are worth more than those from other people. I know I'm lucky and privileged in some aspects and I even admitted to have been a spoiled person. But getting out of my comfort zone was hard for me when it comes to my personal journey and my perspective. Which for other people can be a walk in the park. It's ok.

My thread wasn't about that. Was about sharing an experience and change that happened in me that led to my growth as a person and also to encourage other people to share their stories.

'I was just talking about my journey in particular and how I changed as a person and how one can make changes, whatever they are even when they think their life is stagnating.'

Again, I do apologise. You've done well and you'll do even better in future. All the best to you.

Thank you. You also seem to have done well according to what you shared and overcome. All the best to you too!

Archived