North Carolina Is Getting Walloped!

katrina1980

I've got CNN on the tele right now and holy cow, North Carolina is getting walloped bad! Hurricane force winds (70-90 mph with gusts every few *seconds* up to 120), and the rain!

They just reported a story about a woman in Wilmington who did not heed the mandatory evacuation order and chose to stay. With the storm surges, the water entered her home and kept rising.

She and her kids went to second floor where the water suddenly rose to their necks so they went to attic, climbed out window on to the roof, called 911 and fortunately 911 was able to rescue them!

However first responders are so overwhelmed with calls now from other folks who chose to stay that they can't get to them all; I shudder to think what the end result of that will be.

And this is supposed to last for the next 48 hours or longer, unprecedented for a storm like this, while it slowly heads to South Carolina.

I sure do hope everyone in SC heeds the warning and gets the hell out.

Prayers to all, please stay safe!

They just reported a story about a woman in Wilmington who did not heed the mandatory evacuation order and chose to stay. With the storm surges, the water entered her home and kept rising.

And these are the people I have no sympathy for. They put themselves, their family members (in this case children) AND first responders (who also got families) in danger by choosing not to follow evacuation orders from public safety workers. When you are told to evacuate and knew DAYS ahead there’s a big storm coming, you do it. Have some not learned from the lessons of Hurricane Katrina?

I’m not too far away from the storm myself. My area is getting hit tonight. I live 500 ft away from the water, and am in Zone A (basically means must evacuate when told because it’s a flood prone area). My area has received massive rainfall throughout this week and the past summer. No evacuations have been declared yet in my state but am anticipating flooding. I already got my generator ready and have my vehicle packed to evacuate in case plans change. I’m not risking my one month old in this mess.

I think those that chose to stay heard "category 1" and thought no big deal..

Not realizing categories are determined by wind strength NOT rain!

This hurricane is due to produce an unprecendented amount of rain within a very short time; I heard up to 40 inches (possibly more) in two days!

That's not even accounting for the storm surges!

Yeah peeps, get out!!! I know it must be hard to leave your home, your "things" but it's so not worth risking your life and the lives of your family and those trying to rescue you.

Evacuations are complicated. In houston years ago, there was supposed to be a devastating hurricane. The roads became clogged and people were trapped without food or water. Dozens died. The hurricane veered away and didn’t hit, but if it had, tens of thousands would’ve died.

So in houston, now, people don’t evacuate. They hunker down.

I see both sides.

Evacuations are complicated. In houston years ago, there was supposed to be a devastating hurricane. The roads became clogged and people were trapped without food or water. Dozens died. The hurricane veered away and didn’t hit, but if it had, tens of thousands would’ve died.

So in houston, now, people don’t evacuate. They hunker down.

I see both sides.

MLD, are you talking about Hurricaine Harvey last year? Or a different Hurricaine?

In Harvey, 135,000 homes destroyed and 88 people killed.

I am sooooo glad your area was not hit hard, but that storm was pretty devastating.

MLD, are you talking about Hurricaine Harvey last year?

135,000 homes destroyed and 88 people killed.

I am sooooo glad your area was not hit hard, but that storm was pretty devastating.

Nope. I’m talking about Rita. People didn’t evacuate ahead of Harvey because of Rita:

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/08/28/546721363/why-didn-t-officials-order-the-evacuation-of-houston

Are they okay yatsue, were they able to get out? Hope so!

Yeah, thanks. I got a scare for a second. Yesterday my parents said they were only getting rain up to 6 inches, similar to Snny's situation atm, but then I heard news Charlotte is getting flood warnings during the weekend (they're near there) and they didn't pick up the phone this morning. Thankfully, they eventually did and stated they're about 30-40 miles from the flood zone currently, although they will keep an eye out for any changes. They'll call me if it does as well, so it seems okay now!

Stay safe! Hope you and your new baby don't lose power or access to the resources you need.

My area is getting hit tonight. No evacuations have been declared yet in my state but am anticipating flooding. I already got my generator ready and have my vehicle packed to evacuate in case plans change. I’m not risking my one month old in this mess.

Yes, evacuations are tricky, but if you are in a mandatory evacuation zone, and you know days in advance, you leave.

During Harvey, County Judge Ed Emmett and Mayor Turner were criticized for not ordering city-wide evacuations. That would put 4+ million people on the road, which is a physical impossibility. As Harvey continued to bounce back and forth over Houston, the rain bands and bayou flooding were not necessarily in predictable areas. Some, but not all. So, mandatory evacuations would have caused a lot more deaths than the 88 people. It might have been in the thousands, with people stranded on roadways without food, water, gas, medications, etc.

Judge Emmett recently spoke at a group I'm in, which was a small room of only about 40 people, so we were able to ask him a lot of questions, as we were moving into this year's hurricane season. He said basically they'll get criticized for whatever they do, so they had to make the best decision for that particular storm.

For Florence, people who live in mandatory-evac coastal cities who choose to stay are putting themselves and their families in danger, as 911 services are typically suspended.

Remember to have a lot cash on hand. The biggest problems are often afterward because of power outages. That includes ATMs and if some businesses have generator power, they still can't process cards. That may include gas stations and food stores

This was a very hard lesson that was taught to me years back when a storm hit and power was out for days. I keep cash on me at all times now. You just never know.

Archived