LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Son is dating a girl as old as his mother

Bronze Member
    If your son is neurotypical then there's nothing you can do or should be doing. He's a young man - but a consenting adult at the same time - exploring life. He'll tire of the 'cougar' stuff soon enough. If he is autistic.. I don't have any advice as I don't have children, autistic or otherwise.

Originally Posted by ThatwasThen
    I think, no matter how young a 41 year old looks, that there must be some emotional immaturity on her part or some deep seated insecurity so she gets validation by being able to pull dudes half her age.

I'd be worried too if I were you, *Unreasonable.*
    I went back to college a few years ago. I was 38 and a guy in my class was 20. I probably am a young looking 38. He was an older looking 20 year old. He was..totally my type, really nice guy. He liked me and showed it. When I disclosed my age he was appalled. I didn't go there. I have children and I can image what people would think. I didn't want to make stupid decisions. But.....I could see how a person would go there. It doesn't have to be a power thing or a ego thing. It can just be attraction and ....you know, throwing caution to the wind.

Originally Posted by charity
    I went back to college a few years ago. I was 38 and a guy in my class was 20. I probably am a young looking 38. He was an older looking 20 year old. He was..totally my type, really nice guy. He liked me and showed it. When I disclosed my age he was appalled. I didn't go there. I have children and I can image what people would think. I didn't want to make stupid decisions. But.....I could see how a person would go there. It doesn't have to be a power thing or a ego thing. It can just be attraction and ....you know, throwing caution to the wind.
    I understand attraction but I think "throwing caution to the wind" is beneficial for a night... why carry it into a mis-matched relationship though? I think people that do that are not ready for anything serious. If they were, they'd certainly not try to have something wherein the odds of it lasting past the lust stage are next to none. JMNSHO

Originally Posted by ThatwasThen
    I understand attraction but I think "throwing caution to the wind" is beneficial for a night... why carry it into a mis-matched relationship though? I think people that do that are not ready for anything serious. If they were, they'd certainly not try to have something wherein the odds of it lasting past the lust stage are next to none. JMNSHO
    I agree...and perhaps something not so serious is okay in this case.

Originally Posted by charity
    I agree...and perhaps something not so serious is okay in this case.
    Too late... he's serious.

Originally Posted by Unreasonable
    He's 22 and my biological son. I don't know her personally but it doesn't seem like she's made a lot of good decisions in life, just my opinion. I do know he called my wife freaking out and tripping (probably marijuana) and begging "please mommy save me" when she got busted on a DUI and I think got some jail time. I don't know the whole story there because he and I don't talk that much, and I think he held out info to my wife. Plus she's working a minimum wage dead end job same as my son, which (no offense to anyone who might be in the same boat), just doesn't seem like an impressive place to be for somebody her age.

Anyway, yeah, I won't say anything and just let whatever happens, happen. Maybe he'll learn something from it.
    Wow! I don't blame you for your concerns. Yea best to let go a bit and let him learn this lesson. He is an adult. I don't see this going anywhere with her current "life situation". Just be there for him when if finally tumbles.

Platinum Member
    I'd meet the girlfriend along with your wife and i would say things "oh did you go to X high school, (wife's name) is class of 'xx, were you in the year behind her?" She will realize that she is the same age as her boyfriends folks. but maybe that would be rude....

Originally Posted by NotMonday
    Wow! I don't blame you for your concerns. Yea best to let go a bit and let him learn this lesson. He is an adult. I don't see this going anywhere with her current "life situation". Just be there for him when if finally tumbles.
    The problem is that there are drugs in the mix as well.

9. 11-03-2018, 12:37 PM
    Reason
    Trolling

10. 11-03-2018, 12:38 PM
    Reason
    Trolling

11. 11-03-2018, 12:43 PM
    Reason
    Trolling

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Give Advice
Ask For Advice