Open Club  ·  96 members  ·  Free

Journals

Self Employment:Greater Freedom: Freedom 60

Seraphim

Yikes, I thought you was going to keep top your contract for the Christmas holidays. People really do take advantage at any time they can. 3 free days was a lot no wonder you struggled.

You can't make exceptions for one without making it for all, as you found with Christmas.

For sure. That’s why I changed my contract in October. And I’m hard line with everybody. It’s just that nobody came for the second and the third and I thought I can’t fight everybody so I’ll just leave it and leave those two days. In those two days I lost $350.

Welp, they paid the bill and are mad. 🙄 I sent them a thank you for the payment and asked about the baby and no answer. 😒 I hate it when people act like they are three years old. The way I was brought up was you speak when you’re spoken to in a polite manner.

I guess they can go somewhere else if they don't want to pay for child care services.

Eesh, what do they expect, they'd have to pay whoever they hired as a childminder or day care setting, company or home run. I'd they keep up this attitude, might be time to let them go. Mind you, there's no guarantee the next would be any better, and you're already having to replace the nut allergy child :(

They are the parents of the child with a nut allergy. Mom was better when I talk to her that evening when she picked up her daughter. She is just exhausted because her husbands away and she’s been looking after a sick baby on her own and she had to get back to work. ( she is a teacher) she’s not so dad I think is a nut job and a control freak.

But as it stands I don’t want the legal implications of a child with that severe an allergy. I just have to figure out how and when to do it all.

And I feel like a bytch every time I enforce my contract but if you’re too nice people will take advantage of you every which way. And it’s not that they’re horrible people at all it’s just that everybody wants to benefit themselves. But I have signed contracts from every parent. I don’t know I just had to remind another family yesterday. Dad wanted to take his two girls out and just have a day with them I said sure that’s fine and then when he picked him up he said oh do I have to pay for tomorrow I said yes he said never mind I’ll bring them to you. 🧐

• 2 weeks later...
One of my littles is having super bad attitude lately.

Isn't it called "being little?" (that's what Janet Lansbury would say, anyway - love her blog/articles). My ten year old did last week on and off and I suspect it was because he was coming down with a cold, at least partly. Seen that before.

Isn't it called "being little?" (that's what Janet Lansbury would say, anyway - love her blog/articles). My ten year old did last week on and off and I suspect it was because he was coming down with a cold, at least partly. Seen that before.

Her parents call it bad attitude which requires going to bed. And she has spent more time in time out the past 2 weeks than she knows what to do with.

Yes, their house, their rules. Not quite sure what going to bed solves for the long term.

I believe in timeout. I am not nambypamby about discipline. Her parents totally believe in time out as I do. With 5 kids in the house of all different ages from 1 to 6 it is a tight ship.

I believe in timeout. I am not nambypamby about discipline. Her parents totally believe in time out as I do. With 5 kids in the house of all different ages from 1 to 6 it is a tight ship.

Yes, that's interesting. But nothing to do with what I wrote. Their house, their rules. Totally agree with discipline and a tight ship. To me the label given and the consequence given to go to bed - knowing nothing more about context, etc is not how I would choose to approach the situation whether a tight ship or otherwise. But again -their house, their rules and like I wrote above I respect that (save for physical abuse of course).

Yes, that's interesting. But nothing to do with what I wrote. Their house, their rules. Totally agree with discipline and a tight ship. To me the label given and the consequence given to go to bed - knowing nothing more about context, etc is not how I would choose to approach the situation whether a tight ship or otherwise. But again -their house, their rules and like I wrote above I respect that (save for physical abuse of course).

She is very disobedient lately. Non stop 24/7.

I'm sorry to hear she's having a hard time and that you're having a hard time.

I am no doctor ,paediatrician or psychiatrist, but I really do believe she is severely ADHD. I am seldom wrong with these things. Her family however doesn’t believe in “ mumbo jumbo” , something like my husband’s family. Anyway she is having a lot of issues with actions and consequences.

I am no doctor ,paediatrician or psychiatrist, but I really do believe she is severely ADHD. I am seldom wrong with these things. Her family however doesn’t believe in “ mumbo jumbo” , something like my husband’s family. Anyway she is having a lot of issues with actions and consequences.

All you can do is suggest they get her evaluated. The rest is up to them.

Yup, and their answer is they don’t believe in mumbojumbo. So I will leave that up to the school when she goes in September.

Yes you've done your part. More than, actually. I really respect so much what you said about you know you're not a psychiatrist and you shared your opinion with them -you know you're not and yes you're right it takes a professional to do the diagnosis. It also takes a village.

I'll share this anecdote. My niece gave birth to her first child over 5 years ago. She had jaundice which some babies do in the beginning. But it didn't go away. It was my niece's mother in law who was ot a doctor in the least who expressed her concerns to my niece. Which is what prompted her to get her checked out again. My grand-niece almost died -she went through two liver transplants before she was about 6 months old. She's doing great now. My niece was willing to listen and it made such a huge difference.

• Like 1
Yes you've done your part. More than, actually. I really respect so much what you said about you know you're not a psychiatrist and you shared your opinion with them -you know you're not and yes you're right it takes a professional to do the diagnosis. It also takes a village.

I'll share this anecdote. My niece gave birth to her first child over 5 years ago. She had jaundice which some babies do in the beginning. But it didn't go away. It was my niece's mother in law who was ot a doctor in the least who expressed her concerns to my niece. Which is what prompted her to get her checked out again. My grand-niece almost died -she went through two liver transplants before she was about 6 months old. She's doing great now. My niece was willing to listen and it made such a huge difference.

For sure! I wish my husband’s family had listened to teachers. I hope her parents do too.