Open Club  ·  30 members  ·  Free

Travel and Culture

One big international trip or multiple local road trips?

Rihannon

I live in the United States. I'd like to travel and experience more places and culture. I'm on a budget, and scheduling is tricky. So I have the option of either taking multiple small local road trips over the weekends to cities around me; Or I could save up for one big international trip to another country.

On the one hand, a big trip to another country is exciting, and a larger departure from the culture I live in. I was thinking Iceland or Japan. Would that not be a once-in-a-lifetime trip worth saving up for? I have visited other countries before, but husband has not. I think it would be awesome to give him a chance to go to another country. It's not a passionate dream of his but I think he deserves the opportunity.

But one trip is sort of putting all my travel eggs in one basket. It would use up all the (travel-allocated) money and a chunk of our vacation time. It's not something you can change last-minute like a weekend road trip. Planning with my husband is hard to do and he is hesitant to make big commitments like that. I also feel like this is more important to me than it is to him, so it's kind of on me to push for it and plan it.

Multiple small trips can spread the fun out over the year to see more things. But it sacrifices the resources for something bigger. I also wonder whether multiple trips would turn out to actually be more expensive.

I'm not looking for advice, really, just perspectives, opinions, and experiences.

Is he going? It doesn't sound like he is interested at all and you are trying to sell him on the idea. Where does he want to go? Can you go with friends or family? They may want to go and be willing to plan and help pick places as well as defray some of your costs.

It all depends on your budget. Why not go to a travel agent and see what fits in your budget...take friend/relative who is interested.

I have visited other countries before, but husband has not. I think it would be awesome to give him a chance to go to another country. Planning with my husband is hard to do and he is hesitant to make big commitments like that.

I don't know why, but I don't have much of an interest in going to South America.

I would like my husband to go. I want to encourage him to go, because I think he should do it. That's my opinion. I would like to sell him on the idea, to be more adventurous. I have done trips with family before and that is a great way to split costs. I've traveled with my parents quite a bit before. I always thought adding in a travel agent would just add more costs and I should do the research on my own.

Have you used a travel agency before?

The only time I did a trip with an agency was when I went to Cuba and that was because they had so many travel restrictions. It was a tightly scheduled trip, which was nice in a way because everything was a package deal, all taken care of. That might be a nice way to introduce my husband to international travel; by booking something that is all inclusive and arranged for us. Sometimes university alumni associations will have those kinds of deals.

What's your take? Do you prefer to go with tours or personalized trips? I see benefits of both, and especially it would depend on how accessible the destination is for tourists and outsiders.

They're both expensive but seem so incredible for sightseeing natural landscapes and cities.

I love Japan, in fact I am returning in February for Winter festivals (4th visit) You can do it on your own, but be warned, there is very little English. The hardest country for my travels. You will need to buy the rail pass from your home country. Travel costs are outrageous. Look into JTB.

Iceland was interesting, but the number of tourists was awful. The only way I would return, would be to go to remote areas, not the Loop. You would need to rent a car and not travel in the winter, as roads are closed

I only use a travel agent, if I have to. Some of the countries i have visited require guiding, it is also needed to book safaris; otherwise, I do not use a travel agent, as there are better deals on the internet.

I prefer on my own. If I have to go through an agent, I will choose a company where I can build my own tour (FIT). There are many interesting places that are missed by doing the standard tour.

If your partner doesn't like to travel, I wouldn't try to force him. Go with a friend.

I agree. Iceland was awesome. Very expensive as far as food and we were lucky that we are not big eaters. Just loved it. We went because my husband had a work conference there. That saved a lot of $.

I would likely do the international trip and I would not try to convince your husband to go because it's expensive, very time consuming and many international trips involve a lot of effort and jet lag etc which are worth it if you love it but terrible if you don't. My husband convinced me to go to Europe a few years ago and I was glad he did but that was because it was for the benefit of our son and my reasons for not wanting to go had to do with traveling with a young child and because I knew I'd be on my own there a lot because of my husband's work commitments. My husband is a better traveler than me but we both love travel.

This is a horrible reason for him to go and this would never inspire anyone.

👶He's not a kindergartner you need to take on a field trip.

If he doesn't like travel, it is what it is. 🌴

He's really into the idea of road trips across the country. As for international travel, I think he would like it but he's just never had the chance.

But I'm leaning toward short local trips because we live in the middle of the nation, and there's a lot to enjoy around us - so many U.S. cities have great museums, music, good food. Plus there's no issue with language or money changes, no jet lag. I kind of lean toward the local short trips also so we can have more time to figure out our best shared travel style a little bit more before investing in something so big.

I feel like, the more trips I have taken into unfamiliar places, the more I learn about myself.

I agree. Iceland was awesome. Very expensive as far as food and we were lucky that we are not big eaters. Just loved it. We went because my husband had a work conference there. That saved a lot of $.

I would likely do the international trip and I would not try to convince your husband to go because it's expensive, very time consuming and many international trips involve a lot of effort and jet lag etc which are worth it if you love it but terrible if you don't. My husband convinced me to go to Europe a few years ago and I was glad he did but that was because it was for the benefit of our son and my reasons for not wanting to go had to do with traveling with a young child and because I knew I'd be on my own there a lot because of my husband's work commitments. My husband is a better traveler than me but we both love travel.

My current job sends me to an annual conference and it is such a job perk! Work conferences are the best, especially if you are going with someone else to their conference because then you get the best of both solo and companion travel, IMO!

How about looking into international destinations that are closer to the US? Some generic ideas here: https://www.thrillist.com/travel/nation/quick-weekend-getaways-international#

I would recommend using travel agents in places where moving around is difficult or where there might be a language barrier. Also, travelling with a certain level of comfort is very important to me. Sleeping in benches (yes, some travellers do that in order to save some money) isn't my cup of tea. What do you both enjoy? What does your husband like? Winter? Summer? Beaches? Festivals? Trying new food? Exploring the wilderness? Museums?

He's really into the idea of road trips across the country. As for international travel, I think he would like it but he's just never had the chance.

But I'm leaning toward short local trips because we live in the middle of the nation, and there's a lot to enjoy around us - so many U.S. cities have great museums, music, good food. Plus there's no issue with language or money changes, no jet lag. I kind of lean toward the local short trips also so we can have more time to figure out our best shared travel style a little bit more before investing in something so big.

I feel like, the more trips I have taken into unfamiliar places, the more I learn about myself.

Why don't you float the idea of a shorter in distance and time trip to the Caribbean - same or close time zone, many Commonwealth countries there so English speakers, safe, and you might get a package deal on air tickets & hotel that makes it more affordable? I'm thinking Jamaica or Barbados, maybe Trinidad... or do a short flight mid week and see a couple of them.

If your husband likes it he may become more amenable to a longer trip next year. Or perhaps not, but anyway ease him in to it.

I love to travel and so does my husband and I dont have to talk him into going places. However your husband doesnt sound like he wants to go, and I will say he doesnt know what he's missing by being reluctant!

For us, we'd save our money and take that Big Trip to wherever. Small weekend trips are nice too but not what we want to do, and they do not have to cost a lot.

If you want that Big Trip why not plan it with a friend who would truly want to go and leave hubby at home? I've done that a few times and had a wonderful time. I went to England to stay with a friend, visited a friend in California, and last winter went to a place in Mexico where I had made a new friend earlier at the same BnB and we hung out for a week. She lives on the other side of Canada and it was fun to just do a girls thing.

Also, I never use a travel agent, I do my research online, I join various travel forums on TripAdvisor and visit many travel sites online to see how much different places cost, what package deals are out there, what times the flights are and anything else I need to know. I didnt think bricks and mortar travel agencies still existed!

Thanks for the advice on the travel sites and on how touristy Iceland is. It seems like a hotspot right now.

I spoke to my husband last night about travel and he said that he would love to take a 1-2-week trip in Western Europe some time, maybe next year when we are both done with school. I think the best thing would be to get a rail pass and try to see about 3 different cities. But I guess I won't really start looking into it for a while now. Planning a big trip is a little intimidating so I think I'll talk with some people I know who have done it. I did it when I was younger, alone, staying in cheap hostels and backpacking. But I know he would not be into the idea of roughing it and showing up in town with no hotel reservations. TBH I wouldn't do that again, either!

Until then, he said he loves the idea of taking weekend road trips. He also said he'd enjoy taking a few days to see a cool city on the west coast, like San Francisco, CA.

I like the idea of planning a trip around a specific timed event, like a concert, or a tour of a historical site or a museum. I like to have that central scheduled goal. Just going to a city and winging it once I'm there, that's so unnerving to me.

Archived