Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: One big international trip or multiple local road trips?

Also, I never use a travel agent, I do my research online, I join various travel forums on TripAdvisor and visit many travel sites online to see how much different places cost, what package deals are out there, what times the flights are and anything else I need to know. I didnt think bricks and mortar travel agencies still existed!

Good point. Trying to force more exotic, more expensive, much longer distance trips on him will backfire.
    Originally Posted by RayRay63
    If your husband likes it he may become more amenable to a longer trip next year. Or perhaps not, but anyway ease him in to it.

Bronze Member
    Thanks for the advice on the travel sites and on how touristy Iceland is. It seems like a hotspot right now.

I spoke to my husband last night about travel and he said that he would love to take a 1-2-week trip in Western Europe some time, maybe next year when we are both done with school. I think the best thing would be to get a rail pass and try to see about 3 different cities. But I guess I won't really start looking into it for a while now. Planning a big trip is a little intimidating so I think I'll talk with some people I know who have done it. I did it when I was younger, alone, staying in cheap hostels and backpacking. But I know he would not be into the idea of roughing it and showing up in town with no hotel reservations. TBH I wouldn't do that again, either!

Until then, he said he loves the idea of taking weekend road trips. He also said he'd enjoy taking a few days to see a cool city on the west coast, like San Francisco, CA.

I like the idea of planning a trip around a specific timed event, like a concert, or a tour of a historical site or a museum. I like to have that central scheduled goal. Just going to a city and winging it once I'm there, that's so unnerving to me.

Did you check put those deal sites?

I love traveling and international trips are awesome (or can be). However, it seems like if your hubby is into the idea of smaller weekend trips, you could do that with him and strengthen your bond. That's the most important thing, isn't it?

Originally Posted by Rihannon
    I have visited other countries before, but husband has not. I think it would be awesome to give him a chance to go to another country. It's not a passionate dream of his but I think he deserves the opportunity.

But one trip is sort of putting all my travel eggs in one basket. It would use up all the (travel-allocated) money and a chunk of our vacation time. It's not something you can change last-minute like a weekend road trip. Planning with my husband is hard to do and he is hesitant to make big commitments like that. I also feel like this is more important to me than it is to him, so it's kind of on me to push for it and plan it.
    If he is hesitant or uninterested, why not just do road trips with him? Or get a sleeper car on an Amtrak train and enjoy the ride. Spend a day or two at the destination, find some good food and drink, a nice hotel or B&B, get back on the train and go home. Those kinds of little adventures are nice to have with your SO.

Save the international travel for yourself, or bring an enthusiastic friend. Don't bring someone who doesn't care to be there. That would be a major drag.

Bronze Member
    Originally Posted by mustlovedogs
    Did you check put those deal sites?
    I think I'll hold off on looking into international deals until I know when we'll take the trip - at least a ballpark time frame, anyway. We'll push off the international travel for a year or so.

Bronze Member
    Originally Posted by Jibralta
    If he is hesitant or uninterested, why not just do road trips with him? Or get a sleeper car on an Amtrak train and enjoy the ride. Spend a day or two at the destination, find some good food and drink, a nice hotel or B&B, get back on the train and go home. Those kinds of little adventures are nice to have with your SO.

Save the international travel for yourself, or bring an enthusiastic friend. Don't bring someone who doesn't care to be there. That would be a major drag.
    I love the idea of taking the train. It's especially great in the winter for long drives because you don't have to worry about icy roads at night. I've only done it once, taking a train up to Chicago with a big family group. It was lovely because we all would not have fit into one car. On the train, we got to talk to everyone and relax. Train trips can end up taking longer than driving, though.

Platinum Member
    Doesn't your husband have chronic pain, you were having a strain in your marriage and he works a creative job? Going to South American would be the WORST thing to do if he were to have a medical episode.

In this case, if he is willing to go with you on a small roadtrip or something where you can be on a plane for an hour and spend a whole weekend somewhere (the plane ride is short enough to give you ample relaxation time -- I would do that. Nurturing your marriage is more important than "the trip of a lifetime".

Bronze Member
    I never said I wanted to go to South America. I said I did NOT want to! Neither of us does! And he doesn't have chronic pain, he has a chronic illness. It flares and goes into remission.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice