Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: One big international trip or multiple local road trips?

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by Hollyj
    If your partner doesn't like to travel, I wouldn't try to force him. Go with a friend.
    I agree. Iceland was awesome. Very expensive as far as food and we were lucky that we are not big eaters. Just loved it. We went because my husband had a work conference there. That saved a lot of $.

I would likely do the international trip and I would not try to convince your husband to go because it's expensive, very time consuming and many international trips involve a lot of effort and jet lag etc which are worth it if you love it but terrible if you don't. My husband convinced me to go to Europe a few years ago and I was glad he did but that was because it was for the benefit of our son and my reasons for not wanting to go had to do with traveling with a young child and because I knew I'd be on my own there a lot because of my husband's work commitments. My husband is a better traveler than me but we both love travel.

Bronze Member
    Originally Posted by Wiseman2
    This is a horrible reason for him to go and this would never inspire anyone.

👶He's not a kindergartner you need to take on a field trip.

If he doesn't like travel, it is what it is. 🌴
    He's really into the idea of road trips across the country. As for international travel, I think he would like it but he's just never had the chance.

But I'm leaning toward short local trips because we live in the middle of the nation, and there's a lot to enjoy around us - so many U.S. cities have great museums, music, good food. Plus there's no issue with language or money changes, no jet lag. I kind of lean toward the local short trips also so we can have more time to figure out our best shared travel style a little bit more before investing in something so big.

I feel like, the more trips I have taken into unfamiliar places, the more I learn about myself.

Bronze Member
    Originally Posted by Hollyj
    If your partner doesn't like to travel, I wouldn't try to force him. Go with a friend.
    It's not that he doesn't like it, it's just that he's hesitant because he hasn't done it very often.

Platinum Member
    Enjoy!!!!!!!!

Bronze Member
    Originally Posted by Batya33
    I agree. Iceland was awesome. Very expensive as far as food and we were lucky that we are not big eaters. Just loved it. We went because my husband had a work conference there. That saved a lot of $.

I would likely do the international trip and I would not try to convince your husband to go because it's expensive, very time consuming and many international trips involve a lot of effort and jet lag etc which are worth it if you love it but terrible if you don't. My husband convinced me to go to Europe a few years ago and I was glad he did but that was because it was for the benefit of our son and my reasons for not wanting to go had to do with traveling with a young child and because I knew I'd be on my own there a lot because of my husband's work commitments. My husband is a better traveler than me but we both love travel.
    My current job sends me to an annual conference and it is such a job perk! Work conferences are the best, especially if you are going with someone else to their conference because then you get the best of both solo and companion travel, IMO!

Silver Member
    How about looking into international destinations that are closer to the US? Some generic ideas here: [Register to see the link]

I would recommend using travel agents in places where moving around is difficult or where there might be a language barrier. Also, travelling with a certain level of comfort is very important to me. Sleeping in benches (yes, some travellers do that in order to save some money) isn't my cup of tea. What do you both enjoy? What does your husband like? Winter? Summer? Beaches? Festivals? Trying new food? Exploring the wilderness? Museums?
    Last edited by greendots; 09-05-2018 at 03:38 PM.

If you want to go with him, ask him what he would like to do.
    Originally Posted by Rihannon
    He's really into the idea of road trips across the country. I kind of lean toward the local short trips.

Gold Member
    Originally Posted by Rihannon
    He's really into the idea of road trips across the country. As for international travel, I think he would like it but he's just never had the chance.

But I'm leaning toward short local trips because we live in the middle of the nation, and there's a lot to enjoy around us - so many U.S. cities have great museums, music, good food. Plus there's no issue with language or money changes, no jet lag. I kind of lean toward the local short trips also so we can have more time to figure out our best shared travel style a little bit more before investing in something so big.

I feel like, the more trips I have taken into unfamiliar places, the more I learn about myself.
    Why don't you float the idea of a shorter in distance and time trip to the Caribbean - same or close time zone, many Commonwealth countries there so English speakers, safe, and you might get a package deal on air tickets & hotel that makes it more affordable? I'm thinking Jamaica or Barbados, maybe Trinidad... or do a short flight mid week and see a couple of them.

If your husband likes it he may become more amenable to a longer trip next year. Or perhaps not, but anyway ease him in to it.

Sign up for travel sites. Scottís cheap flights, next vacay, and travelzoo are all good ones. Watch for killer deals and book one of those. Iíve done numerous deals through those sites at a fraction of the cost of regular self booked trips

I love to travel and so does my husband and I dont have to talk him into going places. However your husband doesnt sound like he wants to go, and I will say he doesnt know what he's missing by being reluctant!

For us, we'd save our money and take that Big Trip to wherever. Small weekend trips are nice too but not what we want to do, and they do not have to cost a lot.

If you want that Big Trip why not plan it with a friend who would truly want to go and leave hubby at home? I've done that a few times and had a wonderful time. I went to England to stay with a friend, visited a friend in California, and last winter went to a place in Mexico where I had made a new friend earlier at the same BnB and we hung out for a week. She lives on the other side of Canada and it was fun to just do a girls thing.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice