Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: One big international trip or multiple local road trips?

Bronze Member

One big international trip or multiple local road trips?

I live in the United States. I'd like to travel and experience more places and culture. I'm on a budget, and scheduling is tricky. So I have the option of either taking multiple small local road trips over the weekends to cities around me; Or I could save up for one big international trip to another country.

On the one hand, a big trip to another country is exciting, and a larger departure from the culture I live in. I was thinking Iceland or Japan. Would that not be a once-in-a-lifetime trip worth saving up for? I have visited other countries before, but husband has not. I think it would be awesome to give him a chance to go to another country. It's not a passionate dream of his but I think he deserves the opportunity.

But one trip is sort of putting all my travel eggs in one basket. It would use up all the (travel-allocated) money and a chunk of our vacation time. It's not something you can change last-minute like a weekend road trip. Planning with my husband is hard to do and he is hesitant to make big commitments like that. I also feel like this is more important to me than it is to him, so it's kind of on me to push for it and plan it.

Multiple small trips can spread the fun out over the year to see more things. But it sacrifices the resources for something bigger. I also wonder whether multiple trips would turn out to actually be more expensive.

I'm not looking for advice, really, just perspectives, opinions, and experiences.

Platinum Member
    International.

If you want to get more bang for you buck, go to Asia or S. America.

I love Japan, but it is very expensive. Iceland is nice, but sooooooooo many tourists! :( More Americans than locals.

Is he going? It doesn't sound like he is interested at all and you are trying to sell him on the idea. Where does he want to go? Can you go with friends or family? They may want to go and be willing to plan and help pick places as well as defray some of your costs.

It all depends on your budget. Why not go to a travel agent and see what fits in your budget...take friend/relative who is interested.
    Originally Posted by Rihannon
    I have visited other countries before, but husband has not. I think it would be awesome to give him a chance to go to another country. Planning with my husband is hard to do and he is hesitant to make big commitments like that.

Bronze Member
    I don't know why, but I don't have much of an interest in going to South America.

I would like my husband to go. I want to encourage him to go, because I think he should do it. That's my opinion. I would like to sell him on the idea, to be more adventurous. I have done trips with family before and that is a great way to split costs. I've traveled with my parents quite a bit before. I always thought adding in a travel agent would just add more costs and I should do the research on my own.

Have you used a travel agency before?

The only time I did a trip with an agency was when I went to Cuba and that was because they had so many travel restrictions. It was a tightly scheduled trip, which was nice in a way because everything was a package deal, all taken care of. That might be a nice way to introduce my husband to international travel; by booking something that is all inclusive and arranged for us. Sometimes university alumni associations will have those kinds of deals.

What's your take? Do you prefer to go with tours or personalized trips? I see benefits of both, and especially it would depend on how accessible the destination is for tourists and outsiders.

Bronze Member
    Originally Posted by Hollyj
    I love Japan, but it is very expensive. Iceland is nice, but sooooooooo many tourists! :( More Americans than locals.
    They're both expensive but seem so incredible for sightseeing natural landscapes and cities.

This is a horrible reason for him to go and this would never inspire anyone.

👶He's not a kindergartner you need to take on a field trip.

If he doesn't like travel, it is what it is. 🌴
    I think he should do it. That's my opinion.

Originally Posted by Hollyj
    International.

If you want to get more bang for you buck, go to Asia or S. America.

Oh darn about all the tourists in Iceland. I want to go as it seems like my kind of place!

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by itsallgrand
    Oh darn about all the tourists in Iceland. I want to go as it seems like my kind of place!
    [Register to see the link] :)

Platinum Member
    They're both expensive but seem so incredible for sightseeing natural landscapes and cities.
    I love Japan, in fact I am returning in February for Winter festivals (4th visit) You can do it on your own, but be warned, there is very little English. The hardest country for my travels. You will need to buy the rail pass from your home country. Travel costs are outrageous. Look into JTB.

Iceland was interesting, but the number of tourists was awful. The only way I would return, would be to go to remote areas, not the Loop. You would need to rent a car and not travel in the winter, as roads are closed

I only use a travel agent, if I have to. Some of the countries i have visited require guiding, it is also needed to book safaris; otherwise, I do not use a travel agent, as there are better deals on the internet.

I prefer on my own. If I have to go through an agent, I will choose a company where I can build my own tour (FIT). There are many interesting places that are missed by doing the standard tour.
    Last edited by Hollyj; 09-05-2018 at 12:53 PM.

Platinum Member
    If your partner doesn't like to travel, I wouldn't try to force him. Go with a friend.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice