too early to get my date a birthday gift?

beemea

Hey everyone! i got a question...

So ive been dating this guy since June; initially i was skeptical of him because i was seeing someone else at the same time and thought that other person was worth pursuing more but this guy ended up proving himself more interested and i started to like him more.

Anyways, his birthday is next week (He'll be turning 28 and im turning 25 in november) and im unsure on if its too early for me to get him a birthday present. not necessarily something insanely big and extravagant but maybe a small playful gesture gift? not really sure if were there yet and if getting him something would be too weird, what do you guys all think?

-btw, weve been on 3 dates, slept together on the most recent one and talk everyday all day through text-

You've only been on three dates. Are you exclusive? Did you have that conversation with him? I'd just invite him out to dinner for his birthday and keep it simple. If it were more then three dates and you had the exclusive talk then I'd be on board with getting him something small.

We have not had that talk as of yet, i feel like we are taking it all slow because we are very busy with work and have active social lives but i believe its going in that direction in time but im just practicing patience with it and letting things unfold naturally

Just curious why there are only 3 dates in 3 months? Is this long distance? Are you dating exclusively? Keep in mind texting is not dating. Dating is dating. It would be nice to do something small to acknowledge it, but nothing as if you are in a relationship. Did he ask you out around his birthday?

dating this guy since June..weve been on 3 dates, slept together on the most recent one and talk everyday all day through text-
Just curious why there are only 3 dates in 3 months? Is this long distance? Are you dating exclusively? Keep in mind texting is not dating. Dating is dating. It would be nice to do something small to acknowledge it, but nothing as if you are in a relationship. Did he ask you out around his birthday?

No not long distance we live in the same city; after our first date he had to have foot surgery so that left us not being able to see each other in a date-style (which was confirmed to be true through plenty of text and pictures of his recovery) and on our 2nd date he had a big brace and boot on his foot as it healed. Our 3rd date occured before he left for 2 weeks for more training for his job (which was also confirmed through text and pics of his conferences and meetings) to which we stood in touch while he was away for work. now hes back from training and we plan to see each other again but no mention of his birthday plans, i just noticed it said his birthday was next week on facebook and havent brought it up to him what he intends to do for his birthday.

Plus in between dates 2 and 3 i had birthday plans for my best friend and went out of town so had to postpone seeing him

3 dates since June? That doesn't sound great to be honest. Why so little dates?

after our first date he had to have foot surgery so that left us not being able to see each other in a date-style (which was confirmed to be true through plenty of text and pictures of his recovery) and on our 2nd date he had a big brace and boot on his foot as it healed. Our 3rd date occured before he left for 2 weeks for more training for his job (which was also confirmed through text and pics of his conferences and meetings) to which we stood in touch while he was away for work. now hes back from training and we plan to see each other again but no mention of his birthday plans, i just noticed it said his birthday was next week on facebook and havent brought it up to him what he intends to do for his birthday.

Plus in between dates 2 and 3 i had birthday plans for my best friend and went out of town so had to postpone seeing him

I agree that with so few dates and not being exclusive that it would be odd to get a gift. A Happy Birthday seems more appropriate, especially since he didn't even tell you it was his birthday coming up.

Would it be odd to even bring up that his birthday is coming up? like just ask him out of curiosity what his birthday plans are? i dont think i should just not bring it up i think it should be acknowledged before the day comes to show i care since we are dating

not necessarily something insanely big and extravagant but maybe a small playful gesture gift? not really sure if were there yet and if getting him something would be too weird, what do you guys all think?

Sounds perfectly fine. I know I'd be flattered rather than freaked out; especially how things are going along fine.

What I am going on, is the fact that he's not bringing it up. The only reason why he probably isn't, is because he doesn't feel comfortable enough yet to mention it.

If you had been dating for sometime then he obviously would have mentioned it and you would know.

You just mentioning out of the blue that you found out seems awkward more than anything, which leads me back to thinking it's too soon.

Who knows though, the closer it comes, he might mention it or even ask you to celebrate it with him. If he does, a birthday card and gift card sounds about right.

I feel like I’ve mastered this dilemma in my own life. Lol!

In my last LTR, my guy asked me to go to a concert for his birthday on our 2nd date. I struggled with this issue for a while and i settled on getting him two individual sized desserts (for sharing) that I wrapped with a ribbon and tied a helium balloon to (you can get those at the dollar store). When I handed it to him, I laughed and said “It’s just a thought... i just wanted to acknowledge your birthday and make you feel special”. He laughed. He told me months later that he absolutely loved it.

The current guy I’m interested in, it was his birthday this weekend. He mentioned once that he loved blueberry muffins, so I made him some muffins and put it in a gift bag and pretty much said the same thing. He smiled, thanked me, and texted me the next day to thank me again and tell me they were delicious.

Food or something really small. It says that you care. It shows that you are acknowledging it. But it’s not going overboard. I don’t think anyone has ever gotten freaked out over cookies, especially on a special occasion.

Anyways, that’s my go-to now. It has worked for me. Lol!

I think baking something is something you'd do for a boyfriend or a good friend. It shows sentiment so I wouldn't be baking him anything lol. A bday card is already more than enough.

See? I guess we are all different. Personally, I find a card more personal and awkward and intimate (for me anyways - then I have to think about what to write in it!)

I feel like I’ve mastered this dilemma in my own life. Lol!

In my last LTR, my guy asked me to go to a concert for his birthday on our 2nd date. I struggled with this issue for a while and i settled on getting him two individual sized desserts (for sharing) that I wrapped with a ribbon and tied a helium balloon to (you can get those at the dollar store). When I handed it to him, I laughed and said “It’s just a thought... i just wanted to acknowledge your birthday and make you feel special”. He laughed. He told me months later that he absolutely loved it.

The current guy I’m interested in, it was his birthday this weekend. He mentioned once that he loved blueberry muffins, so I made him some muffins and put it in a gift bag and pretty much said the same thing. He smiled, thanked me, and texted me the next day to thank me again and tell me they were delicious.

Food or something really small. It says that you care. It shows that you are acknowledging it. But it’s not going overboard. I don’t think anyone has ever gotten freaked out over cookies, especially on a special occasion.

Anyways, that’s my go-to now. It has worked for me. Lol!

I think this is an excellent idea.

Hell even if it's a first date, most people appreciate a simple acknowledgment of their birthday. It wouldn't freak me or at all, I'd think it was thoughtful, you've already exchanged bodily fluids but it's too soon to acknowledge his Birthday? See? Sounds silly doesn't it? I'm not saying get him a Rolex, something simple and sweet, maybe even funny, I think, shows you're onboard for the journey.

I am just trying to wrap my head around someone I've had 3 dates with freaking out after having received a $5 Starbucks gift card.

Especially in light of having had sex with him already.

IF he doesn't mention his birthday then that's an obvious one. You don't acknowledge something you aren't privy too. Checking social media and going off of that might seem creepy. But if he mentions it, I'd acknowledge it in some very small token way.

It's just the minimally decent thing to do.

If he freaks out over it, he's not the guy for you to begin with.

Archived