Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice

Thread: Cat diagnosed with renal failure any advice?

Cat diagnosed with renal failure any advice?

Hi Friends, my dear 14-year old cat was just diagnosed with renal failure. The vet said this is fatal, but with some treatment she might be able to live up to a few more months to a couple years. However the vet said any treatment may only be about 50%. She is a senior cat and unfortunately was born with very small kidneys which likely is making her condition worse.
    For treatment, she is on the second day of a daily sub-cutaneous fluid injection to remove and dilute the urea from her system. In spite of this, she is rapidly declining.
    I am doing everything I can to comfort her and put fluids and her favorite soft foods near her. She only takes a few bites, then turns away.
    Does anyone have any experience with this in their cat, and have any successful course of action you have taken?

My heart is breaking. Thank you all so much.

Platinum Member
    I am so sorry your cat is ill. Have you asked about what level of pain she might be experiencing and what her quality of life is expected to be so at least you can have that information in making your decision?

Gold Member
    I, too, am SO sorry that your precious kitty is ill. Has your vet prescribed any special diet for her? I know that Kidney Support Gold might help her. It's expensive but might be worth a try. It helps to eliminate toxins and waste. Please ask your vet before trying it though. Kitties have a special place in my heart so I understand your pain. Hugs.

Thanks for your replies. I'll ask the vet about the points you suggested.

Give Advice
Ask For Advice