LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Songwriting from hobby to career

Songwriting from hobby to career

This a journal about my hobby songwriting that I'm trying to turn into a career. I've gotten some attention this year but nothing has truly come of it yet.

I'm buying a sythesizer so i can do better at turning my lyrics into songs on my own. I sent out a vocal demo, I've created a public account that highlights my musical skills and attributes. I'm getting noticed. But haven't been signed.

I'm aiming for religious music or country. I have a mix of songs it's my religious one that made it to finalist in a songwriting contest, same contest that discovered Taylor Swift, but she won. So I keep honing my skill hoping for a win.

I figure I work my job to afford my hobby not entirely. I actually had to remind myself of that because I get so involved in daily life I quit working on the songs. But it's what lights a fire to my soul. Gives me hope for a brighter future, not so stuck in the drudgery of life.

I'm working on my weight, my hair, my music. Everything else will fall into place.

Platinum Member
    What organizations have you joined that involve songwriters and what do you do to get your name out there other than what you mentioned?

I've gotten messages about joining Nashville Songwriting Organization. Haven't taken the dive yet. I was a member of a local songwriting organization but the leadership changed and the meeting locations moved too far away for me. So my membership expired and I haven't renewed it. I learn a few things from them and miss it. But Nashville is online so that may be the better option for me. Considering it more seriously now.

I responded to a craigslist ad and may have met someone to collaborate with. We are talking. He pulled the sale of the item but has a music studio and we are arranging a time to meet.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by Jetta
    I've gotten messages about joining Nashville Songwriting Organization. Haven't taken the dive yet. I was a member of a local songwriting organization but the leadership changed and the meeting locations moved too far away for me. So my membership expired and I haven't renewed it. I learn a few things from them and miss it. But Nashville is online so that may be the better option for me. Considering it more seriously now.

I responded to a craigslist ad and may have met someone to collaborate with. We are talking. He pulled the sale of the item but has a music studio and we are arranging a time to meet.
    The Nashville org sounds interesting. I'd be careful about meeting up with strangers from Craigslist.

Well I haven't heard back from the collaborator guy who was super flirty and not my type. I told him my age, he's about 12 years younger. It's ok, he's a rapper and I'm not sure we could mesh. He built up my confidence though suggested I be a plus size model. Said I was so beautiful. Really flattering. He looked like a thug but I told him he looked tough, didn't want to hurt his feelings.

I should have been pickier about the synthesizer I bought. Not happy with the purchase. No speakers, no usb port. I could buy speakers but no usb port is not worth me having, doesn't work with my computer program than. I think I'm going to resell it tried to get the craiglist guy to take a return, no luck there. Bummed.

So I've learned most synthesizers don't have speakers. Guess I'll have to deal. Trying to resell due to no usb port but if it doesn't I'll buy the speakers for it and deal for now.

Asking a tarot reader what I should do to develop my music career, it's for fun but might be really informative.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by Jetta
    So I've learned most synthesizers don't have speakers. Guess I'll have to deal. Trying to resell due to no usb port but if it doesn't I'll buy the speakers for it and deal for now.

Asking a tarot reader what I should do to develop my music career, it's for fun but might be really informative.
    Sure if it's fun. You have the free time to do it, go for it. I am a little surprised given all the resources out there where you can ask people who are actually involved in the industry -a curious choice on your part.

Platinum Member
    Was this kind of an impulse buy? Because you had to have noticed the lack of usb port, etc. before you gave away your money.

Have you had any success yet selling your lyrics? I would for sure keep my "day" job until I had a steady income from songwriting.

Platinum Member
    You don't have the income right now to toss your money on memberships and pipe dreams. What about approaching a local band to record one of your songs? That way you can hear it and get feedback on how it sounds....and if your lyrics seem to not be awkward to sing and work -- and they have a good reception when performing the song locally -- then look into doing more.

Platinum Member
    Another option would be to create a YouTube video with an aspiring singer recording one of your songs (unless you are a singer/songwriter, in which case you could record it yourself).

Two men I used to work with did this. Now, I do need to mention that neither of them has gone on to be signed with a label and to a career as a singer, but at least their music got out there.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice