Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Journals

Songwriting from hobby to career

Jetta

This a journal about my hobby songwriting that I'm trying to turn into a career. I've gotten some attention this year but nothing has truly come of it yet.

I'm buying a sythesizer so i can do better at turning my lyrics into songs on my own. I sent out a vocal demo, I've created a public account that highlights my musical skills and attributes. I'm getting noticed. But haven't been signed.

I'm aiming for religious music or country. I have a mix of songs it's my religious one that made it to finalist in a songwriting contest, same contest that discovered Taylor Swift, but she won. So I keep honing my skill hoping for a win.

I figure I work my job to afford my hobby not entirely. I actually had to remind myself of that because I get so involved in daily life I quit working on the songs. But it's what lights a fire to my soul. Gives me hope for a brighter future, not so stuck in the drudgery of life.

I'm working on my weight, my hair, my music. Everything else will fall into place.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've gotten messages about joining Nashville Songwriting Organization. Haven't taken the dive yet. I was a member of a local songwriting organization but the leadership changed and the meeting locations moved too far away for me. So my membership expired and I haven't renewed it. I learn a few things from them and miss it. But Nashville is online so that may be the better option for me. Considering it more seriously now.

I responded to a craigslist ad and may have met someone to collaborate with. We are talking. He pulled the sale of the item but has a music studio and we are arranging a time to meet.

I've gotten messages about joining Nashville Songwriting Organization. Haven't taken the dive yet. I was a member of a local songwriting organization but the leadership changed and the meeting locations moved too far away for me. So my membership expired and I haven't renewed it. I learn a few things from them and miss it. But Nashville is online so that may be the better option for me. Considering it more seriously now.

I responded to a craigslist ad and may have met someone to collaborate with. We are talking. He pulled the sale of the item but has a music studio and we are arranging a time to meet.

The Nashville org sounds interesting. I'd be careful about meeting up with strangers from Craigslist.

Well I haven't heard back from the collaborator guy who was super flirty and not my type. I told him my age, he's about 12 years younger. It's ok, he's a rapper and I'm not sure we could mesh. He built up my confidence though suggested I be a plus size model. Said I was so beautiful. Really flattering. He looked like a thug but I told him he looked tough, didn't want to hurt his feelings.

I should have been pickier about the synthesizer I bought. Not happy with the purchase. No speakers, no usb port. I could buy speakers but no usb port is not worth me having, doesn't work with my computer program than. I think I'm going to resell it tried to get the craiglist guy to take a return, no luck there. Bummed.

So I've learned most synthesizers don't have speakers. Guess I'll have to deal. Trying to resell due to no usb port but if it doesn't I'll buy the speakers for it and deal for now.

Asking a tarot reader what I should do to develop my music career, it's for fun but might be really informative.

So I've learned most synthesizers don't have speakers. Guess I'll have to deal. Trying to resell due to no usb port but if it doesn't I'll buy the speakers for it and deal for now.

Asking a tarot reader what I should do to develop my music career, it's for fun but might be really informative.

Sure if it's fun. You have the free time to do it, go for it. I am a little surprised given all the resources out there where you can ask people who are actually involved in the industry -a curious choice on your part.

You don't have the income right now to toss your money on memberships and pipe dreams. What about approaching a local band to record one of your songs? That way you can hear it and get feedback on how it sounds....and if your lyrics seem to not be awkward to sing and work -- and they have a good reception when performing the song locally -- then look into doing more.

Another option would be to create a YouTube video with an aspiring singer recording one of your songs (unless you are a singer/songwriter, in which case you could record it yourself).

Two men I used to work with did this. Now, I do need to mention that neither of them has gone on to be signed with a label and to a career as a singer, but at least their music got out there.

Another option would be to create a YouTube video with an aspiring singer recording one of your songs (unless you are a singer/songwriter, in which case you could record it yourself).

Two men I used to work with did this. Now, I do need to mention that neither of them has gone on to be signed with a label and to a career as a singer, but at least their music got out there.

That's a good idea. That way you get an idea if its something people can connect with and want to hear.

Thanks for the ideas. I am a singer, working to put music to my lyrics as I grew up playing the piano. Trying to figure out a way to do that.

Yes it was an impulse buy, I was looking at pianos actually when I saw it and thought that was more what I needed. Figured I would have to wait for my own place to get a piano but could get a synthesizer sooner.

That one was affordable but I didn't really know what I was getting. Just holding off on speakers and seeing if it sells in the meantime. Really need a space to set it up.

At mom's with her selling the house, I practically live out of my car. My personal stuff is in my car. Minus clothes and bathroom stuff. It's just hard not having my own space.

I've had a lot of action with the songwriting this year. So it's propelling me forward. Was a finalist in a songwriting contest. Sent in a vocal demo, but it wasn't my best work. He sent me a song I didn't know and I did the best I could under the circumstances. I'm just trying to develop my skills more. Keep entering contests, and developing my abilities.

There are a million ways to use a piano. If you attend a church, ask the music director if you can play --- often they might have another piano in an activities room and if something else is going on where the building is open but mass is not going on, maybe they would let you. Or sometimes music schools if you take a lesson have free time where you can just go in and play. And there are a million free pianos out there.

But i agree--- with no home -- i mean if you had a small, little casio keyboard and someone gave it to you, that's one thing.

Right now, hobbies come second to acquiring more skills to get a better job and finding a place to live

The tarot reading was interesting and free from a friend. Advice was to get gigs and develop followers. Hone my craft, and be thankful for my talent, take care of my voice. Lots of good info. Now I have to figure it all out.

I'm not homeless, just feel that way with having little room for my stuff. I am working part time and on disability. Looking for a subsidized apartment. I have mental health issues need the insurance to afford my meds that make me "normal" they use the word stable.

So now really focussing on getting into a band, or starting one. Looked into it never did it. Have a name. Just have to connect with the people.

The tarot reading was interesting and free from a friend. Advice was to get gigs and develop followers. Hone my craft, and be thankful for my talent, take care of my voice. Lots of good info. Now I have to figure it all out.

I'm not homeless, just feel that way with having little room for my stuff. I am working part time and on disability. Looking for a subsidized apartment. I have mental health issues need the insurance to afford my meds that make me "normal" they use the word stable.

So now really focussing on getting into a band, or starting one. Looked into it never did it. Have a name. Just have to connect with the people.

I'm glad the reading was free -it was common sense advice like the input you've gotten on here -nothing to do with tarot cards of course.

I would put your hobby to career plans after the priorities of daily living and then prioritize concrete steps you can take without spending money (and concrete meaning not random chatting to stranger or psychics, etc - those are fun diversions and distractions if you want to keep this as a sometime hobby -nothing to do with hobby transitioning to career). And I exclude looking for input on this forum because you've gotten only very practical, concrete suggestions -I mean going on sites where people chat about their songwriting as opposed to getting out there in person and being selective about who you meet who is in the business - use your networking time wisely.

If you have little room for your stuff, I don't see how adding a piano or a synthesizer would help. Where are you going to put it?

And I agree, good thing that tarot reading was free. "Develop a following!" But HOW??? Any concrete suggestions, or any "I see from my reading that the way you will develop a following will be via this method..."

I mean, as Batya said we have told you the exact same things.

Do you go to gigs? You said you plan to focus on country or religious music. So, where do people perform those kinds of music? Show up there, introduce yourself to the performers, offer to "jam" with them some time. That's how my ex husband ended up playing at church. No, he doesn't have a big time recording contract and is not making money and it's not his career. But he gets to perform in front of an audience weekly.

Get your housing and job situation settled, then start getting out there! And don't quit your job to "focus" on your career or your forward progress will be halted or sent backward. Get settled first.

Being a member of the songwriting group gave opportunities to perform songs. I'll obtain a membership again when I'm more than a lyricist. That's my next step develop my lyrics into songs. Join a songwriting group. Keep entering contests. But it all costs money so a little at a time.

Here's my collaboration song. I'm the female singing. It's kind of rough but it's a start. Just an example of my work. He did the music I did the lyrics, minus the first verse the guy I collaborated with added that because it was too short. Written in 2012 or 2013.

Well I was sent info on another contest to enter. It's one I'll have to really put together something nice to enter. They want a video recording of an original song ideally can be a cover song. They judge and critique you so that'll be helpful. I'm looking at it as a learning tool.

I'm kind of wondering who sent it, anyway it's something to work towards. I do better with goals. Too tired from my day today to start on it right now, still making dinner. Worked late. I'll do a little, a bit later, but first I have to pick a song. Than sing it. Than record myself. Using a lot of technical skills not my strong suit.

Well I was sent info on another contest to enter. It's one I'll have to really put together something nice to enter. They want a video recording of an original song ideally can be a cover song. They judge and critique you so that'll be helpful. I'm looking at it as a learning tool.

I'm kind of wondering who sent it, anyway it's something to work towards. I do better with goals. Too tired from my day today to start on it right now, still making dinner. Worked late. I'll do a little, a bit later, but first I have to pick a song. Than sing it. Than record myself. Using a lot of technical skills not my strong suit.

Archived