Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Songwriting from hobby to career

Well I was sent info on another contest to enter. It's one I'll have to really put together something nice to enter. They want a video recording of an original song ideally can be a cover song. They judge and critique you so that'll be helpful. I'm looking at it as a learning tool.

I'm kind of wondering who sent it, anyway it's something to work towards. I do better with goals. Too tired from my day today to start on it right now, still making dinner. Worked late. I'll do a little, a bit later, but first I have to pick a song. Than sing it. Than record myself. Using a lot of technical skills not my strong suit.

Platinum Member
    How do you make sure if you're not familiar with the contest that they're not just going to take your songs and claim it as their own?

Well I send copywriten stuff.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by Jetta
    Well I send copywriten stuff.
    That's good and if you think contests are the way to get you from hobby to career you know best -I'm not familiar.

Its how Taylor Swift was discovered, Meghan Trainor who had a hit song. It's an opportunity.

Platinum Member
    Hmm not according to Wikipedia.

Platinum Member
    Meghan Trainor won a songwriting competition AT HER COLLEGE which was a music school. She did not enter some random contest - but she already recorded albums before that.

It's a legit contest, I first heard about it from my songwriting group.

I'm working on turning my lyrics into songs on my own, without a collaboration. I don't have a studio so it's challenging. But it's something I need to do on my own to develop my skills as a songwriter.

I have the beginnings of a studio, just working through the bugs and quirks. I've been writing lyrics for years, studied music and acting in my youth. Just got side tracked. Transferring the sound idea from my head to paper has been a slow process, trying to speed it up.

I need speakers for my synthesizer. I may buy those tomorrow, it's really needed to be useable to me. Headphones aren't recordable. I'm going to play around with my programs more tomorrow. See what I can do with what I have and if I can hold off on speakers.

Platinum Member
    In your situation I would spend no money on this hobby- which it is right now - until you take care of daily living priorities. Instead , spend time trying to find resources where you can borrow speakers or there are scholarships/funding for budding songwriters, etc.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by Batya33
    In your situation I would spend no money on this hobby- which it is right now - until you take care of daily living priorities. Instead , spend time trying to find resources where you can borrow speakers or there are scholarships/funding for budding songwriters, etc.
    there are local scene papers that have classified ads of bands that are looking to audition drummers, singers, guitarists - if that is a paid gig, i think it would be a better idea to audition for a paid gig as a singer whether lead or backup and then i that case you would be able to eventually request that the bad play a song you wrote. That way you need not spend anything on "a studio". You need to focus first on things that make money right now so that you can get a place to live that's stable

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice