Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Songwriting from hobby to career

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by boltnrun
    Another option would be to create a YouTube video with an aspiring singer recording one of your songs (unless you are a singer/songwriter, in which case you could record it yourself).

Two men I used to work with did this. Now, I do need to mention that neither of them has gone on to be signed with a label and to a career as a singer, but at least their music got out there.
    That's a good idea. That way you get an idea if its something people can connect with and want to hear.

Thanks for the ideas. I am a singer, working to put music to my lyrics as I grew up playing the piano. Trying to figure out a way to do that.

Yes it was an impulse buy, I was looking at pianos actually when I saw it and thought that was more what I needed. Figured I would have to wait for my own place to get a piano but could get a synthesizer sooner.

That one was affordable but I didn't really know what I was getting. Just holding off on speakers and seeing if it sells in the meantime. Really need a space to set it up.

At mom's with her selling the house, I practically live out of my car. My personal stuff is in my car. Minus clothes and bathroom stuff. It's just hard not having my own space.

I've had a lot of action with the songwriting this year. So it's propelling me forward. Was a finalist in a songwriting contest. Sent in a vocal demo, but it wasn't my best work. He sent me a song I didn't know and I did the best I could under the circumstances. I'm just trying to develop my skills more. Keep entering contests, and developing my abilities.

Platinum Member
    With no home, it doesn't make much sense that you'd be buying a piano OR a synthesizer.

What are your housing plans after your mom's house sells? What are her plans?

Platinum Member
    There are a million ways to use a piano. If you attend a church, ask the music director if you can play --- often they might have another piano in an activities room and if something else is going on where the building is open but mass is not going on, maybe they would let you. Or sometimes music schools if you take a lesson have free time where you can just go in and play. And there are a million free pianos out there.

But i agree--- with no home -- i mean if you had a small, little casio keyboard and someone gave it to you, that's one thing.

Right now, hobbies come second to acquiring more skills to get a better job and finding a place to live

The tarot reading was interesting and free from a friend. Advice was to get gigs and develop followers. Hone my craft, and be thankful for my talent, take care of my voice. Lots of good info. Now I have to figure it all out.

I'm not homeless, just feel that way with having little room for my stuff. I am working part time and on disability. Looking for a subsidized apartment. I have mental health issues need the insurance to afford my meds that make me "normal" they use the word stable.

So now really focussing on getting into a band, or starting one. Looked into it never did it. Have a name. Just have to connect with the people.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by Jetta
    The tarot reading was interesting and free from a friend. Advice was to get gigs and develop followers. Hone my craft, and be thankful for my talent, take care of my voice. Lots of good info. Now I have to figure it all out.

I'm not homeless, just feel that way with having little room for my stuff. I am working part time and on disability. Looking for a subsidized apartment. I have mental health issues need the insurance to afford my meds that make me "normal" they use the word stable.

So now really focussing on getting into a band, or starting one. Looked into it never did it. Have a name. Just have to connect with the people.
    I'm glad the reading was free -it was common sense advice like the input you've gotten on here -nothing to do with tarot cards of course.

I would put your hobby to career plans after the priorities of daily living and then prioritize concrete steps you can take without spending money (and concrete meaning not random chatting to stranger or psychics, etc - those are fun diversions and distractions if you want to keep this as a sometime hobby -nothing to do with hobby transitioning to career). And I exclude looking for input on this forum because you've gotten only very practical, concrete suggestions -I mean going on sites where people chat about their songwriting as opposed to getting out there in person and being selective about who you meet who is in the business - use your networking time wisely.

Platinum Member
    If you have little room for your stuff, I don't see how adding a piano or a synthesizer would help. Where are you going to put it?

And I agree, good thing that tarot reading was free. "Develop a following!" But HOW??? Any concrete suggestions, or any "I see from my reading that the way you will develop a following will be via this method..."

I mean, as Batya said we have told you the exact same things.

Do you go to gigs? You said you plan to focus on country or religious music. So, where do people perform those kinds of music? Show up there, introduce yourself to the performers, offer to "jam" with them some time. That's how my ex husband ended up playing at church. No, he doesn't have a big time recording contract and is not making money and it's not his career. But he gets to perform in front of an audience weekly.

Get your housing and job situation settled, then start getting out there! And don't quit your job to "focus" on your career or your forward progress will be halted or sent backward. Get settled first.

Being a member of the songwriting group gave opportunities to perform songs. I'll obtain a membership again when I'm more than a lyricist. That's my next step develop my lyrics into songs. Join a songwriting group. Keep entering contests. But it all costs money so a little at a time.

Here's my collaboration song. I'm the female singing. [Register to see the link] It's kind of rough but it's a start. Just an example of my work. He did the music I did the lyrics, minus the first verse the guy I collaborated with added that because it was too short. Written in 2012 or 2013.

Well I was sent info on another contest to enter. It's one I'll have to really put together something nice to enter. They want a video recording of an original song ideally can be a cover song. They judge and critique you so that'll be helpful. I'm looking at it as a learning tool.

I'm kind of wondering who sent it, anyway it's something to work towards. I do better with goals. Too tired from my day today to start on it right now, still making dinner. Worked late. I'll do a little, a bit later, but first I have to pick a song. Than sing it. Than record myself. Using a lot of technical skills not my strong suit.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice