My Job Search

Qwerty55

Okay this will be my final thread on the "career money and education" section since someone suggested it's better that way.

Anyways just a quick summary: I just got out of college and I am on my journey to look for a new job because I resigned my last one (which was only two weeks) because it was too much pressure (it's on the sales department).

I will just update here what's going to happen to me. I just sent tons of resumes today and I am still hoping for a call back for interview soon. So yeah, I apologize for posting so many threads. This will be my last one I promise.

Incidentally, to answer your previous post re sales, sales is ALWAYS a high pressure job. You have to meet quota's, deadlines, etc. That's every sales job. That said, it's a great job and you can make a lot of money in it, if you can figure out how to sell and become good at it. Note that I said figure out because it does take time and effort to find that "it" thing that works for you personally and makes that sale happen. You may also go through several jobs to find a niche that suits your style and personality best.

A very good friend of mine is in sales and he loves loves loves what he does. He knew he wanted to be in sales right out of college. That said, in his first job it took him months to make his first sale and he was in despair and ready to quit, but just wouldn't give up on it. He was literally thinking, reading every sales book, listening to seminars on how to sell and even dreaming about it in his sleep until it all finally clicked for him and then it became easy. He also went into more highly specialized, engineering type sales since he has that background but it took him a few jobs to figure out that that suits him better as well.

The point is that instead of being so picky, you need to figure out what you actually want to do and do what it takes to make it work. First few years out of college is essentially all about working crazy hours, learning learning learning and doing what it takes. Then, once you have that mileage and experience under your belt, you can start being more picky and looking for a bigger better deal. Your degree without any work experience and proof that you can handle work means nothing.

Do you have a LinkedIn profile? That is a must for job searches. Get a professional looking photo, list your job experience, your education, etc. You can also link your resume. Also join some professional groups, alumni groups, an interest group or 2, etc. Look for former coworkers, classmates, professors, etc. Upload your contact lists and see who is on there that you already know. Search for employers and jobs in field you want..

You need a sharp professional online presence these days. Yeah, employers google and do social media scans these days. There is software for this many employers use. If you have goofy pics or personal info on any social media, set it all to private and put neutral photos up. They should not be able to tell your marital status, if you have kids etc. Google yourself and make sure there is no weird or inaccurate info out there. Make your sharp professional LinkedIn profile public and it will come up first page on google.

I took up BA English
Incidentally, to answer your previous post re sales, sales is ALWAYS a high pressure job. You have to meet quota's, deadlines, etc. That's every sales job. That said, it's a great job and you can make a lot of money in it, if you can figure out how to sell and become good at it. Note that I said figure out because it does take time and effort to find that "it" thing that works for you personally and makes that sale happen. You may also go through several jobs to find a niche that suits your style and personality best.

A very good friend of mine is in sales and he loves loves loves what he does. He knew he wanted to be in sales right out of college. That said, in his first job it took him months to make his first sale and he was in despair and ready to quit, but just wouldn't give up on it. He was literally thinking, reading every sales book, listening to seminars on how to sell and even dreaming about it in his sleep until it all finally clicked for him and then it became easy. He also went into more highly specialized, engineering type sales since he has that background but it took him a few jobs to figure out that that suits him better as well.

The point is that instead of being so picky, you need to figure out what you actually want to do and do what it takes to make it work. First few years out of college is essentially all about working crazy hours, learning learning learning and doing what it takes. Then, once you have that mileage and experience under your belt, you can start being more picky and looking for a bigger better deal. Your degree without any work experience and proof that you can handle work means nothing.

Yeah, I'm beginning to see learning at work does take a lot of time and effort to reach something you desire. Actually right now, I do know what I want. I had a discussion with my parents regarding my situation and they suggested to me to get a job involving clerical works like admin or office staff. Gradually, I realized they could be right. Despite my dream job is to be a proofreader/writer, I know that WON'T HAPPEN any time soon because like you said, I have 0 experience. I have to start somewhere on the bottom.

Lately, I also realized I need to higher my tolerance level when it comes to work because of course there is no perfect work. I do now know I want clerical works because I think (and I hope) that's the best and suitable job as of now to be able for me to attain a job experience and improve my skills too.

I admit, all of this is overwhelming to me because I'm new to the working world. However, I need to be less picky from now on, higher my tolerance level when it comes to work, and just keep on learning.

Do you have a LinkedIn profile? That is a must for job searches. Get a professional looking photo, list your job experience, your education, etc. You can also link your resume. Also join some professional groups, alumni groups, an interest group or 2, etc. Look for former coworkers, classmates, professors, etc. Upload your contact lists and see who is on there that you already know. Search for employers and jobs in field you want..

You need a sharp professional online presence these days. Yeah, employers google and do social media scans these days. There is software for this many employers use. If you have goofy pics or personal info on any social media, set it all to private and put neutral photos up. They should not be able to tell your marital status, if you have kids etc. Google yourself and make sure there is no weird or inaccurate info out there. Make your sharp professional LinkedIn profile public and it will come up first page on google.

Yes I do have. I've been applying there also. I just sent tons of reumés there hoping for a feedback soon.

I did heard some employers would google applicants' name and look up on them on social media. No worries though, I made sure I made my facebook profile neutral and professional. I don't think they will even see my facebook though cause my name is different there.

I did try the job app Indeed. Is it also a good app? I just tried LinkedIn recently and I do like that most job offerings there aren't scams unlike the other job apps I downloaded.

Yes I do have. I've been applying there also. I just sent tons of reumés there hoping for a feedback soon.

I did heard some employers would google applicants' name and look up on them on social media. No worries though, I made sure I made my facebook profile neutral and professional. I don't think they will even see my facebook though cause my name is different there.

I did try the job app Indeed. Is it also a good app? I just tried LinkedIn recently and I do like that most job offerings there aren't scams unlike the other job apps I downloaded.

I think your first and best approach is networking in person. Join organizations, tell everyone you are looking without being desperate about it, get informational interviews with people who are not hiring right now. When i was in my 20s one of my BAs was in English. I needed a temp clerical job for the 6 months preceding grad school so I applied for one. The headhunter looked at my resume, looked at me and said "you don't really want a clerical job, do you?" We'd been chatting for about ten minutes then. So I said told her she was right and then told her I'd like to work for her. She asked me what I would do. I told her that I'd been a headhunter and that I would like to be her assistant in helping her place people. She named an hourly rate and I accepted. And for the next 6 months i worked for her and since she worked at an agency, other headhunters she worked with starting noticing my work and gave me some of their work.

I had to do a job search about 4 years ago. I was in my 40s, out of the workforce for 5 years and had never worked in my new city/state (I'd been a full time parent). I spent a lot of time emailing everyone I knew, everyone I'd worked with, everyone I'd met in my new city (and I'd spent the past 4 years meeting people in my new city for social reasons but also knowing I'd be working outside the home again someday). I also looked online somewhat and beefed up my linkedin presence. Three of the interviews I got were through new friends I'd made in my new city. Another was through someone I'd worked with at a former company who thought he might be able to use me remotely. And another was through a Facebook group when a woman posted that her husband was looking for assistants. And because I'd met so many people it turned out I was friendly with his cousin.

I joined a women's networking group, volunteered at the local radio station and had my husband talk to his colleagues.

The end result -I ended up getting my dream job through a random list serv email I'd randomly signed up for. But I will tell you that one of the things that helped me get the job was a woman from my woman's networking org who gave me the lowdown on the company, who I'd be working for, how to interview successfully.

You never know where it's going to come from but you can control your destiny in this to a large extent. It will be 2 years at my job in a few weeks. I love it and they like me. They took a chance on an old newbie to their city who hadn't worked outside the home in 7.5 years and never in the particular area of this job opening (within my general job description though). You can do this.

I'd also like to add that if you go to interviews for x positions and at the end of the interview they switch on you and tell you that they think you are better suited for y position, such as sales, then YOU have to consider and evaluate how you are coming across in your interviews. Employers are offering you what they think you'll be successful at based on the impression you are giving them during your interview. Think on that.

It doesn't mean that sales is your thing. If it's not, be sure that you speak up immediately and tell them up front that sales doesn't suit you.

I will also say this. A good admin, clerk, personal assistant type person is a bit of a people pleaser type personality. They like to go fetch and the best will even anticipate what a person they are working for needs and do it unasked. They want to please. From the way you post, you don't strike me at all as that kind of a personality. You actually come across as someone who wants a very clear cut, structured job where you know exactly what you need to do, do it and go home and no more is asked of you. That would be more like data entry or analytical type work and not really admin. Food for thought for you.

Join organizations, tell everyone you are looking without being desperate about it, get informational interviews with people who are not hiring right now

Hope I’m not intruding on Qwerty’s thread and maybe they’ll find the response useful, but how did you bring up with your network you were looking short of “ANYBODY HAVE A JOB FOR ME PLZ”. Ok I know to exercise more tact than that but I’m not sure how you would go about this without seeming annoying?

I think your first and best approach is networking in person. Join organizations, tell everyone you are looking without being desperate about it, get informational interviews with people who are not hiring right now. When i was in my 20s one of my BAs was in English. I needed a temp clerical job for the 6 months preceding grad school so I applied for one. The headhunter looked at my resume, looked at me and said "you don't really want a clerical job, do you?" We'd been chatting for about ten minutes then. So I said told her she was right and then told her I'd like to work for her. She asked me what I would do. I told her that I'd been a headhunter and that I would like to be her assistant in helping her place people. She named an hourly rate and I accepted. And for the next 6 months i worked for her and since she worked at an agency, other headhunters she worked with starting noticing my work and gave me some of their work.

I had to do a job search about 4 years ago. I was in my 40s, out of the workforce for 5 years and had never worked in my new city/state (I'd been a full time parent). I spent a lot of time emailing everyone I knew, everyone I'd worked with, everyone I'd met in my new city (and I'd spent the past 4 years meeting people in my new city for social reasons but also knowing I'd be working outside the home again someday). I also looked online somewhat and beefed up my linkedin presence. Three of the interviews I got were through new friends I'd made in my new city. Another was through someone I'd worked with at a former company who thought he might be able to use me remotely. And another was through a Facebook group when a woman posted that her husband was looking for assistants. And because I'd met so many people it turned out I was friendly with his cousin.

I joined a women's networking group, volunteered at the local radio station and had my husband talk to his colleagues.

The end result -I ended up getting my dream job through a random list serv email I'd randomly signed up for. But I will tell you that one of the things that helped me get the job was a woman from my woman's networking org who gave me the lowdown on the company, who I'd be working for, how to interview successfully.

You never know where it's going to come from but you can control your destiny in this to a large extent. It will be 2 years at my job in a few weeks. I love it and they like me. They took a chance on an old newbie to their city who hadn't worked outside the home in 7.5 years and never in the particular area of this job opening (within my general job description though). You can do this.

In short, someone who can refer to me for a job right? I do think that's also a good option. I mostly rely just on the internet and I need to expand my job hunting my interacting with other people.

I'd also like to add that if you go to interviews for x positions and at the end of the interview they switch on you and tell you that they think you are better suited for y position, such as sales, then YOU have to consider and evaluate how you are coming across in your interviews. Employers are offering you what they think you'll be successful at based on the impression you are giving them during your interview. Think on that.

It doesn't mean that sales is your thing. If it's not, be sure that you speak up immediately and tell them up front that sales doesn't suit you.

I will also say this. A good admin, clerk, personal assistant type person is a bit of a people pleaser type personality. They like to go fetch and the best will even anticipate what a person they are working for needs and do it unasked. They want to please. From the way you post, you don't strike me at all as that kind of a personality. You actually come across as someone who wants a very clear cut, structured job where you know exactly what you need to do, do it and go home and no more is asked of you. That would be more like data entry or analytical type work and not really admin. Food for thought for you.

Yeah, I don't why they always end up offering me jobs on sales and as I do evaluate myself, I remember one HR told me she endorsed me to sales because she noticed I have a personality where I seem to don't get tired of talking and I think that's why HRs would recommend me to another job.

If I would be more like a data entry type of person, maybe I should try to be a researcher again cause some HRs would endorse me to a resesrcher position before.

I would not take a sales job with the company that baited you with a clerk typist position then switched you over to sales.

I was able to go through the final interview but they told me "we will call you" so the chances of me getting hired there is really low anyways.

I do have a bunch of interviews next week so wish me luck.

In short, someone who can refer to me for a job right? I do think that's also a good option. I mostly rely just on the internet and I need to expand my job hunting my interacting with other people.

That's the very abbreviated answer. Your response tells me you've kind of dismissed the steps it takes to find someone who can and is willing to refer you to a job, and to meet the right people who have jobs to refer you too. It's not like doing a google search. Sometimes it's just luck -I met someone once at a kid birthday party who immediately connected me to someone but usually the quality referrals require a lot of effort and developing personal and professional relationships.

Have you been applying with temp agencies? Lots of companies keep their permanent job openings inhouse and hire temps to learn whether someone is a good fit for their firm. If so, you can apply for better jobs from within.

You can't just submit resumes to temp agencies, you need to phone to set up an appointment. Fill out the paper work, test on their apps and interview with as many agencies as possible. That's the only way to get on their 'active' roster. Otherwise, you resume goes into a black hole.

Take your search on foot, put in 'real' applications and keep sowing the seeds until you get an opportunity.

Yeah, you don't just email your resume to an agency then go home and wait for them to find you a job. I never, not once, found a job that way.

You make an appointment and go in with a copy of your resume and meet with an agent. I usually spend about two hours at the agency taking tests (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, accounting, etc.) and then they tell me what jobs they think I'm good for. Then I go on the agency site to see what openings they have. I submit my resume electronically, then I email the agent I worked with including my resume and the job posting number, letting them know I'm interested in being considered for that position. Then repeat with any other position I see.

I do this with multiple agencies, not just one.

Then I do the tedious task of filling out applications online with any companies that are hiring. Yes, it takes a long time but I found my current (wonderful) job that way. I had filled out so many online applications that I forgot I'd even applied to this company. And now I've been with them several years and have been promoted twice.

Keep being proactive. No one is going to knock on your door asking to hire you for your dream job.

PS: Or, what catfeeder said ;)

Yeah, you don't just email your resume to an agency then go home and wait for them to find you a job. I never, not once, found a job that way.

You make an appointment and go in with a copy of your resume and meet with an agent. I usually spend about two hours at the agency taking tests (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, accounting, etc.) and then they tell me what jobs they think I'm good for. Then I go on the agency site to see what openings they have. I submit my resume electronically, then I email the agent I worked with including my resume and the job posting number, letting them know I'm interested in being considered for that position. Then repeat with any other position I see.

I do this with multiple agencies, not just one.

Then I do the tedious task of filling out applications online with any companies that are hiring. Yes, it takes a long time but I found my current (wonderful) job that way. I had filled out so many online applications that I forgot I'd even applied to this company. And now I've been with them several years and have been promoted twice.

Keep being proactive. No one is going to knock on your door asking to hire you for your dream job.

PS: Or, what catfeeder said ;)

Hah! Yes, exactly this. Start with the agencies closest to home and work a radius outward. Apply to one agency per morning, at least 3 per week, and give yourself some kind of reward after each one.

Don't be discouraged when agencies say that they have nothing for you at the moment. That simply means that there are more available workers than incoming jobs at this time. It still means that you are now on an 'active' roster for having applied. I've had offers as late as a month or two later after applying, because good agencies don't have active jobs lying around waiting for applicants. My last temp job resulted in an invitation to create my own permanent job, and I've been there since 2006!

People don't realize that temp work IS 'real' work that removes you from the grind of knocking yourself out for scammers or bait-and-switch operations or really lousy companies. Instead, it's your ticket into GOOD companies that want the flexibility of trying-before-buying. It works both ways: YOU get to test THEM and their culture and environments before signing on for anything permanent and difficult to get out of.

Companies that avoid using agencies are often cheaping out for a reason. This doesn't speak for all companies, but if their environment and opportunities speak for themselves, why would they NOT be willing to pay a reasonable market rate (much higher than commission-only or minimum wage) to showcase their opportunities to pre-screened and qualified candidates?

Agencies work for BOTH the client company AND the workers who earn them money. They are a buffer between workers and unethical practices because everyone involved has a reputation to build.

You are never forced into accepting work or offers you don't want. If you are placed with a firm too far away or too difficult for assimilation, then you can phone the agency to cancel your role there while retaining your ability to accept any better offers from any other agencies that come up.

Question for you, OP: did you attend a university, college or trade school after high school? If so, what has been your experience working with their placement department?

Hope I’m not intruding on Qwerty’s thread and maybe they’ll find the response useful, but how did you bring up with your network you were looking short of “ANYBODY HAVE A JOB FOR ME PLZ”. Ok I know to exercise more tact than that but I’m not sure how you would go about this without seeming annoying?

Great question. It’s not annoying if it’s reciprocal- meaning you’ve helped the other person network or done a similar kind of favor. Or the person knows that you will or could in the future. What you do is join professional organizations specifically targeted to your skills so that its natural to share that you are looking for a job. And general networking groups too. And you approach others with confidence - lead with “I’m looking to get into —- field. Do you know of anyone I should talk to or meet with?”

I’m many cases you will be doing the person a favor if she can then fill a job in her or her clients organization. One job I got was when I was a teacher and one of the parents was starting a new business. It sounded interesting so I asked if I could work for her over the summer. I worked for her for 2 years. The key is show intelligent curiosity about what others do for a living which then can lead to that person thinking of you for a job opening.

Hi guys! Sorry I can't reply your posts right now but I am grateful and thankful you guys have been giving me various advises regarding about my job hunting. I will try to reply some posts when I have time. I've been reading them though so thank you.

Just a quick update: I have interviews till Thursday.

My interview today was a candy/snack manufacturer and the interview seem...okay? She commented about me while we were conducting the interview and said "Mmmm....you are a competitive person" and she told me she will endorse me for a secretarial position. However, it was odd she told me the proccess will take 3-4 weeks regarding whether I will get hired or not. She told me there were many applicants so it's gonna take a long proccess which I said was fine to me

Also, as I got home, she texted me she forgot to ask what I did on my internship and what languages can I speak. I replied to her answering her questions. So yeah, I do wanna know if I have a good chance here?

Also, another update: I have another interview on Wednesday which is funny because the company is literally a walking distance from the company I resigned.

But yeah that's all my update for now. I appreciate the advises you guys give to me.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived