LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How soon is too soon?

peek-a-boo macy! she's sooo pretty!!

i'm so sorry for turning this into a crying party, you guys are wonderful to put up with me!

I am so delighted for you, Rainy, that you were able to give Bonito a second chance in life, she must be so happy to have you. What's so wonderful about dogs, is that when they enter your life you both save each other really, and in this particular case Bonito will help you through your grief and be your little therapist, in exchange for having been rescued. I'd say that's a pretty good deal :)

Really wish there were more people like you in the world!

Wow!
    CongrAts to you and Bonito! He looks adorable, and I'm so glad you found one another.

Originally Posted by RainyCoast
    ... did your new kitty adjust? was it bothersome, or just unusual to be processing a loss while welcoming a new cat?
    Oh, Butch adjusted all right. He settled on the foot of my bed and went cuddly immediately on my entrance, as though nothing had happened. I figured he'd just been shook up from the drive. I had set him into the litter too fast, but I wanted him to learn where it was it in case he needed to use it.

He never displayed aggression again. We spent many years together, and he was secure and loving and purely Himself. His rituals were unlike those of Layla, and so there were times at first when I'd make the noises or gestures I'd have made with her, and it felt a bit like one hand clapping. But he was a joy, and he helped me through my grief in ways that kept me forever grateful to him.

Originally Posted by RainyCoast
    I do expect a new pet to surprise me in any number of ways. I am not very concerned i think- getting to know each pet's character has been a wonderful process that i am grateful for, so my current thought is that i would welcome the "new pet energy". I also do not own, or wish to own "valuables" that i'd be concerned about getting ruined, and i think my apartment would be easy to puppy-proof.

i wouldn't mind adopting a pair of cats either, if it turned out the puppy was no longer available. i just feel like i should take him specifically somehow.

that's one of the main themes in my thoughts now too, that it's no good shutting our "service" or our capacity to love down. what better way to honor anyone really, human or not, than by continuing to care for others.
    Hooray! for you and your open mind and your open heart. Your Darko did a marvelous job with you! As much as a pet's adoration can go to our head and make us feel like the world is all about US, the best pet relationships teach us how to honor our roles as stewards. This amplifies our generosity and our ability to love. There is no down side to that.

(((HUG))) to you and Bonito.

Originally Posted by reinventmyself
    Your Macy is such a beautiful heart-tugger!

i love macy's curious look :)). and that butch has been such a valuable, healing companion!

thank you all for being so positive! i would've missed out on so much if i held back on adopting him, and what a shame for a wonderful little guy it would've been to not get a forever home.

i didn't crate him last night. there was no need to. all sites (i have 40 tabs on puppies open haha) say to crate him on his first night, but he napped next to me for a while before settling on a pillow he chose. he then got up, i heard a noise on the other end of the room, and he came back with Darko's collar, licking it before falling asleep peacefully next to it. To him, it is one of the many objects he hoards, probably because he is used to not having them, but to me, it was the most beautiful gesture. I "talked" to Darko, thanking him over and over again for everything, and for teaching me how to grow beyond my selfish sadness and my self-prophesied eternal misery. i promised i would do everything for Bonito that i did for him.

he is so happy, such a ball of joy. i never asked the shelter about his history. he seems perfectly unbothered by it whatever it was, and his wonderful shelter carers must have undone anything bad he remembered.

i'm reminded of hidden blessings too. i fell ill enough to be absent from work to undergo testing - but, it allowed me to be with Darko when he was leaving, and to keep Bonito company as he adjusts to the great unknown. Before Darko fell ill, i hesitated to get testing done for myself at a private diagnostics lab and avoid the long waiting list, i was concerned with the price. i had once been in debt after my mother's passing, and it was psychologically very taxing. But, when i saw myself pulling my credit card out unflinchingly at the vet's, i immediately accepted i *can* show the same respect to my own well-being by choice, and i owe it to myself and everyone else to speed up the diagnostics and treatment. So i booked and am getting tests done and it's not been horrible at all, worst case scenario i'll have some credit card debt and pay it off like i did with much greater debt. have to be in shape to keep up with an energetic doggie!!

i'll remember this time for the endless gratitude. i'll work on feeling it without turning on the waterworks next! :))

Awww. You have all this love to give, and so does Bonito, I think that is a beautiful thing that you are together.

When my cat Blackie passed away, this was years ago now, I thought ' that's it, no more cats for a very long time!' . I was depressed for a while, her passing hit me very hard, something about the kind of love between us and those little guys, it's so honest, it can cut right through all the usual defended we may have . Do you find this?!

Well that plan didn't last long. A friend of mine had a friend of hers unexpectedly pass away. He had a cat, and ferrets. They all went to his parents place at first, but they also had a cat. And his cat was stressed to the max, didn't like other cats, and was terrorizing their cat . And here I was a home with no cats again, and she needed a 'one child':) home. Yeah. When my friend brought her over to meet me, I knew she was home now. We've been together ever since, she's family.

I get it, talking to Darko, feeling like he is there watching this. Thank you for giving him such a beautiful life filled with love and compassion.

Bonito reminds me a lot of my little dog, the older one that I lost in June. I smiled when you mentioned the part about him barking at elephants on the TV screen.

My dog loved his toy elephant collection and used to bark for them when I'd hold them out of his reach just to tease him, before I'd finally throw or drop the elephant. Then he'd grab the toy by its trunk and whip it around like a crocodile catching its dinner.

He was small and fluffy just like your dog, I would joke "which one is the toy?" :-)

I do find we are so defenseless with animals, and thank goodness for that- so much one can learn about being human from an animal.

I love that you immediately felt the new cat was at home, that's so wonderful, feeling like they always belonged there :))

Aww Raize, yes, the crocodile whip, I know it! So funny!
    I honestly think Bonito looks like a stuffed toy, but was careful about saying it for fear ppl will worry I think of him as an object for my amusement. With his docile character and adorable looks, he is overwhelmingly sweet.
    This is my first time with a small breed, i'm fascinated.

He's not being difficult at all. I expected a puppy to be a lot of work, but it's so far easy. Fuzzball.

Platinum Member
    Where's the pic?

Originally Posted by Hollyj
    Where's the pic?

here i am auntie holly!

(i'm inserting links because i get the invalid file message if i try to post a pic)

[Register to see the link]

[Register to see the link]

he dragged both the throw and the rag over himself, freakishly strong pup.

anyone have any ideas how to get him to let me clean his face? he wiggles out of the way. i'm afraid a groomer wouldn't get far with him either before he realizes it's no big deal. so far i am rewarding him with treats every time he lets me touch his face, boop his nose, hold his "beard" hair gently. i'm hoping that'll motivate him to let me get close with a moist cloth.

or should i offer him a basin with water and see if he likes water? if he could get in there, maybe he would allow a full bath and i could clean his face while we're at it? though his coat is clean, he smells nice and all, it's just his dirty cute little face i really want to be able to clean soon. it'll get dirty often, i hope he's going to be fine with frequent cleaning.

we're having a storm and he's not afraid of thunder!! not one bark!!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice