Should I Not Hope For This One?

Qwerty55

I applied as a clerk typist at this shipping company and I had an initial interview last week. The vice president of the company interviewed me and told me she will endorse me as an operation staff because she saw potential in me when it comes to sales and marketing. I told her I was interested and I am open for that position. She then told me she will call me next week if I get hired or not.

Then on Tuesday I recieved a text from the HR saying they wanted me to go to the final interview. So I went this morning at the company and the vice president told me the final interview with the CEO will determine if I will be best suited as a clerk typist or an operation staff.

The CEO then interviewed me and it was okay. His questions were mostly about my family background and my own background. After that, he told me he will just call me. As I got out, the VP also told me they will just call me regarding the position.

I already had a feeling I won't get hired the moment they told me that. I shouldn't hope for that anymore right? And just look for a new job hiring again...

P.S. someone told me I could follow up regarding my application but at this point I kinda feel hopeless

You should email or write a letter to the people who interviewed you, thanking them for their time and telling them that you're still interested in either position. You can also call the office in a week if they don't call you back and ask if you're still being considered.

I went on a lot of interviews when I was young and ironically, no one ever called me back after a second interview. I thought that was pretty rude. But I guess people don't like delivering bad news. And as Honeycomb8 said, continue your job search. Even if you get an offer, things can fall through.

You should email or write a letter to the people who interviewed you, thanking them for their time and telling them that you're still interested in either position. You can also call the office in a week if they don't call you back and ask if you're still being considered.

I went on a lot of interviews when I was young and ironically, no one ever called me back after a second interview. I thought that was pretty rude. But I guess people don't like delivering bad news. And as Honeycomb8 said, continue your job search. Even if you get an offer, things can fall through.

I was planning on that. It's frustrating that some companies can't tell you straight to the face if you are hired or not. I appreciate companies who tell me right away if I am qualified or not.

With that said, yes, I just sent more resumes this morning and I have another interview tomorrow. I wanna give up already at times cause it's making me depressed already but I have to just keep moving forward.

Be careful of companies who advertise one job, such as clerk typist, then talk you into a sales role. That's a bait and switch because they can't get people to apply for the sales jobs--which often are usually 'commission only' or mostly commision on top of a less than minimum wage.

Apply for the jobs you want, and don't accept offers of 'other' jobs unless they pay more or are equally suitable to you.

Be careful of companies who advertise one job, such as clerk typist, then talk you into a sales role. That's a bait and switch because they can't get people to apply for the sales jobs--which often are usually 'commission only' or mostly commision on top of a less than minimum wage.

Apply for the jobs you want, and don't accept offers of 'other' jobs unless they pay more or are equally suitable to you.

Yeah, I applied at this copywriter position yesterday and suddenly the manager told me he is endorsing me to a sales position although he told me he will give me time to think about it. I was a bit sketchy there cause he didn't tell me why I wasn't qualified for copywriter and his reason was "upon seeing your test, you seem to be more fitted at the sales position"

Yeah, I applied at this copywriter position yesterday and suddenly the manager told me he is endorsing me to a sales position although he told me he will give me time to think about it. I was a bit sketchy there cause he didn't tell me why I wasn't qualified for copywriter and his reason was "upon seeing your test, you seem to be more fitted at the sales position"

Yep. That's what they do. I'd tell them that you remain interested in the copywriter position should they want to hire you for that role, but you'll pass on the sales position, and thank you.

Chin up, you'll get through this.

I may have told this story before, but my son went on an interview for a position that was described as "administrative assistant" but when he got to the interview he was told it was actually door to door insurance sales. They couldn't get anyone to apply when they were honest so they chose to lie. My son took a hard pass on that one.

You may have to start out doing customer service just to get some experience other than your internship.

What kind of questions? Here is a list of allowed and illegal questions on job interviews: https://www.betterteam.com/illegal-interview-questions

I read the list and the CEO's questions weren't illegal so that's good other than some of his questions were odd regarding how many we were in class back in college.

However, I read on the list it's illegal for an interviewer to ask weather I'm renting or owning a house and I actually encountered A LOT of interviewers asking me that. The worst one was an old woman who asked me if I was renting or owning and I replied to her renting. Her response? "Why don't you wanna own a house? You have money anyways since your dad has his own business anyways" like she was downright rude.

Thanks for telling me there are actually illegal questions. Some interviewers/HR would go overboard

I may have told this story before, but my son went on an interview for a position that was described as "administrative assistant" but when he got to the interview he was told it was actually door to door insurance sales. They couldn't get anyone to apply when they were honest so they chose to lie. My son took a hard pass on that one.

You may have to start out doing customer service just to get some experience other than your internship.

Yes I remember you told that story on my other thread and it's good your son rejected that position. I've encountered situations like that too.

Yes, I think I should start out doing customer service or at least sales. I think I'm just meant to be for sales for a while and just chase my dream job once I get enough experience.

Yes memorize the list and if any of them pop up, sidestep the question/be vague and/or say "why do you ask"? Asking any of them may be a yellow flag that they are not up on policy and laws, which isn't a good sign. Also watch out for disguised oblique questions.

Also do not volunteer anything/any info on the list. They should not know for example, anything about your family business.

"Why don't you wanna own a house? You have money anyways since your dad has his own business anyways"

Archived