Dealing With Unemployment Anxiety and Depression

Qwerty55

I've been stressed and dealing with anxiety for months because I can't get a job that's suitsble for me. If I do get a job that I like, there are consequences like the one I applied the other day where I had to take a night shift schedule and I can't accept it because it's too dangerous. Yes I still send my resumés, 20 of them per day through the internet. Please don't judge me anymore. I went through anxiety and depressed on my last job and I'm going through it again on my situation right now. I just want to know if there's something wrong with me I'm feeling like this? Or if there's something wrong with me that's why I find it hard to gey hired

Can you work with a recruiter? You could get hired, you just turned that job down. Life is kinda stressful in general, ya know? Jobs are hard, and finding the right one is hard too. Anyone without work anxiety is lucky or is living off of someone. Trust your decision and the job market.

Thank you. It is indeed stressful. I've been holding back ny tears thinking and questioning myself why can't I get employed. I've been trying to be less "choosy" and making my tolerance level higher.

Qwerty, I don't think there's anything wrong with you. I think you're sensitive, young and a bit naive. But these aren't necessarily bad things. You've got to put things in perspective.

First of all, you're young and you don't have much work experience. You're trying to find a job in the professional world, but you're a generalist. You don't have a specific skill. You're doing fine looking for jobs. You're eager. It can take months before you find the right job, so you have to be patient. I think you're doing fine. Don't worry about saying no to something that doesn't sound right. You need to get tougher when it comes to rejection and boyfriends. Don't let people push you around. And don't be afraid to hide what you're thinking. You've got to develop a poker face. Think about things before you do them. People will be less able to trick you.

And the rest is just trying to wait for the best opportunity to open up.

Reach out to your entire network. Friends, friends of friends - see if anyone knows of a good job opportunity for you. Most jobs are found that way than through blind applications online. Have someone look over your resume and cover letter and see how you can improve it. You will also have to tailor it for every job you apply for. You might not be able to do 20 apps per day, but you will do better just doing 2 apps per day that are more targeted for the position you are interested in.

Qwerty, I don't think there's anything wrong with you. I think you're sensitive, young and a bit naive. But these aren't necessarily bad things. You've got to put things in perspective.

First of all, you're young and you don't have much work experience. You're trying to find a job in the professional world, but you're a generalist. You don't have a specific skill. You're doing fine looking for jobs. You're eager. It can take months before you find the right job, so you have to be patient. I think you're doing fine. Don't worry about saying no to something that doesn't sound right. You need to get tougher when it comes to rejection and boyfriends. Don't let people push you around. And don't be afraid to hide what you're thinking. You've got to develop a poker face. Think about things before you do them. People will be less able to trick you.

And the rest is just trying to wait for the best opportunity to open up.

This is such an amazing advice. Thank you. Lately I feel like I'm having some quarter life crisis because of being unemployed for so long and I'm gonna be 23 this thursday while so many people younger than me are already working. I try to be strong enough and yes, tougher, to get through all of this. I woke up this morning feeling depressed and empty because of being unemployed all over again. I am still doing my best by sending resumes.

Reach out to your entire network. Friends, friends of friends - see if anyone knows of a good job opportunity for you. Most jobs are found that way than through blind applications online. Have someone look over your resume and cover letter and see how you can improve it. You will also have to tailor it for every job you apply for. You might not be able to do 20 apps per day, but you will do better just doing 2 apps per day that are more targeted for the position you are interested in.

Most of my friends are working at government offices which I can't apply because I need to be a civil servant passer and I failed my exams. While some of my friends are still unemployed since most of them are on the same age group as me. I don't have much connection so I am relying mostly on the internet.

Have you considered taking something less than ideal or temp while you beef up your resume ( and of course continue your search while working)? It may help lift some anxiety for you in regards to time pressure and finances and to keep you in an employed state of mind.

I don't think there's anything wrong with you. Unemployment is hard on any healthy person. Finding a great fit employment wise isn't easy and can take time. Just keep at it.

Work away at filling in weak areas in your resume meanwhile. Volunteer, polish skills, network. Try some new things.

Archived