LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Are age gaps the last taboo?

Originally Posted by Realitynut
    I'm traveling to the Upper Peninsula tomorrow...by myself. I'm going Hiking in Utah the end of next month....for 12 days. By myself. I wish i could find a happy healthy older man...but hahahaha...they stay married. Or are dating the 30 and 40 year olds. That's why the older women look at them askance.
    Good for you Reality! That's awesome! :)

My mom told me that when she sees some older guy and a young girl she thinks, "the poor ex-wife who supported this schmuck until he divorced her and left his kids with her." That's where her thoughts go, and why she resents these couples... even though she knows that's not my story.

Well....my storys not that awesome. My on and off guy for 5 years just walked out on me 2 weeks ago...no fight. Just left. Never heard another word.

But it seems as if you have a history of dating much younger women. I was busy reading you other thread from 2016. I'm dying to know about Hannah who was 21 at that time!!!!!

And taking this bawling 21 yr old girl and repossessing the car and sending her home in an Uber seemed extremely mean.

I hate not know the end of a story...I was so invested!!! lol

Originally Posted by Realitynut
    Well....my storys not that awesome. My on and off guy for 5 years just walked out on me 2 weeks ago...no fight. Just left. Never heard another word.

But it seems as if you have a history of dating much younger women. I was busy reading you other thread from 2016. I'm dying to know about Hannah who was 21 at that time!!!!!

And taking this bawling 21 yr old girl and repossessing the car and sending her home in an Uber seemed extremely mean.

I hate not know the end of a story...I was so invested!!! lol
    Oh god... I forgot I posted that whole ordeal here.... sigh. We stayed together a little longer, but eventually I ended things. She just could not stop lying to me constantly. Ironically, she just texted me out of the blue yesterday...

...life goes on...

Can I just ask, why aren't you dating women your own age? You seem to go for the younger ones. Whats the reason for that?

Originally Posted by jakesv

You misread. I said, in my post you're referring to, that my favorite thing is climbing, that we both enjoy travel, dining, spending time with friends, and that we both watch Netflix (though it's more her thing than mine). You interpreted this as "her only contribution to the relationship is Netflix." That's both wrong and pretty uncharitable.

You'd lose your wager. I have said "sweet" but she's probably said that more to me. And "super cool, chill"... not how I talk.

Nice try though. Do you want to add in how I probably drive a Corvette and wear suede suits and have lots of gold necklaces and go to Vegas every weekend too? :rolleyes:
    No judgements from me, buddy, and sincere apologies if you caught a bit of unintended snark. I say to you what I say to anyone and everyone: have a blast! If it's working, let it work.

That you're posting here, that your gf is catching some edge from the outside, that the conversation has become a regular one between you two...well, something's stirring, and you guys will navigate all that in whatever way works for you.

For the time being, it sounds like you're nothing expanding each other's worlds and bringing each other joy. And that, in the end, is all any of us want, for a minute or a lifetime.

Agree. 25 and 42 ain't that bad! I've heard worse. Now when I have a 25 year old message me on a dating site...I tell them I have a 25 yr. old son sleeping on my floor right now!! (Was the truth at that time....shudders) But dang...any guy in his 50's wants to chase me down...her I am!!!! lol

What if either of you had a daughter that was 25 and she brought this 42 year old home. Would you still be all good with it? Yes, I understand they are both adults but wouldn't you want better for your child? And wouldn't you wonder what this man wants with your daughter?

I tell you, if it were my daughter, there wouldn't be any welcome mat at the door, that's for sure. I'd also think the 40 something was a loser and had to prey on young women.

Same story if I had a 25 year old son, no way do I want some gross old woman in her forties all over him. I'd have to get in a b@tch fight. No way would I would ever allow her near my son. That too is disgusting.
    Last edited by SherrySher; 08-25-2018 at 03:07 AM.

Gold Member
    I donít see the problem when sheís 25, sheís hardly a child. I imagine the parents concern is justifiably out of wanting the best for their daughter. Looking at the practicalities if you choose to have children you may be unable to pull your share physically, you may be retired and therefore the financial burden of child rearing also falls on her. Your grandchildren may likely never meet you and she might outlive you for many decades. However,! All these scenarios could play out if you were the same age. If it were my daughter, you being a good partner that would be more important to me than any other factor. If she was 20 though, I would certainly be looking at you more scrupulously.

My best friend met her partner at 15, they started dating at 16, he is 19 years her senior. They are still together 14 years later and have a baby boy. He is a good partner in a few respects so far as I can tell but that will never change my opinion that he groomed her as a child and trapped her into a serious commitment in the prime of her life.

Once you get past your prime and are considering more serious things then who cares if your partner is older so long as they are a good match and treat you as they should? The only exception to this for me would be a woman approaching 40 dating a young man under 30 with a view to getting pregnant ASAP. I think thatís pretty warped and manipulative.

I find older men more attractive, men my age just donít seem to have the same interests and are still generally very imature. I am considering that it would be more practical to date men closer to my age if only for the fact they are likely to have less baggage and more energy for future child rearing.

OP, I could be wrong, but it sounds like you may have a history of consistently going after 20 something year olds. It may be that you have some preconceived notions of your own that it might be useful for you to reflect on/acknowledge... Why does dating women your own age seem to be a "taboo" for you?

Platinum Member
    How do you know how the parents would feel about you - when you are a secret?

This is mostly filtered through the GF. I'm kind of with bluecastle. Are people really saying these things - or is it her wondering if this kind of relationship is what she is looking for. And if she really is under this kind of pressure, why is she listening to outside influence rather than being confident in her choice?

Well, younger people are more influenced by their parents and their friends than older people so...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice