Gall bladder removal

Has anyone had their gall bladder out? Did you notice any issues after wards like gas pains, indigestion, nausea, heartburn, etc?

What kinds of foods were you able to eat?

How long did these issues last for you and did they get better? Did you have any other long term problems or ended up getting an endoscopy?

Thanks for anyone who takes the time to answer.

Do you have stomach issues daily? I am really surprised that after 20 years you're still getting those issues, wow. I read different articles online and they say that after a few weeks or months, the digestive system returns back to normal or close to.

I have also heard of people having gas pains or nausea, etc but again only for the first few months.

Are you able to eat anything like chips or cake, etc?

I seem to be getting so much different information depending on what I read. Some woman was even saying that after a week she was back to eating whatever she liked?!?

I honestly was hoping that once the gall bladder was out that the troubles would be over. :(

Do you have stomach issues daily? I am really surprised that after 20 years you're still getting those issues, wow. I read different articles online and they say that after a few weeks or months, the digestive system returns back to normal or close to.

I have also heard of people having gas pains or nausea, etc but again only for the first few months.

Are you able to eat anything like chips or cake, etc?

I seem to be getting so much different information depending on what I read. Some woman was even saying that after a week she was back to eating whatever she liked?!?

I honestly was hoping that once the gall bladder was out that the troubles would be over. :(

I can eat those things but within real moderation. Mine might be more IBS issues exacerbated. It all coincided with having

my son . I had my gallbladder out 3 months after his birth. I was never sick before getting pregnant like never. And nothing but sick since his birth.

My friend was the most recent. Prior to having it out, she was in excruciating pain, literally in the bathtub unable to move.

She said it was a super easy recovery, maybe a couple of days of not feeling well, and felt better in about a week.

Surgery these days has advanced so much. I had to have a hysterectomy 3 years ago, and I was scared so much by all that I read. It was an easy, peaceful recovery, best thing I ever did. I’ve since had bunion surgeries, both feet....also very easy recovery. And then I had an upper blephoroplasty (upper eyelid, cosmetic surgery)..,,again, super easy.

I spent a TON of time and research, finding the right doctors. For my hysterectomy, I got FIVE opinions. For my feet, I got a second opinion, and went with him. Please find the BEST doctor you can find.

A friend had hers out about 20 years ago. She cannot digest fats and oils very well, and has to be very careful what she eats. Otherwise she is miserable for a day or two.. She has been vegetarian for 30 years, so that helps some. She also has IBS, so that may play a factor.

My mom apparently had hers out many years ago. She does not seem to have had any remaining issues, but she may not have shared that info with me.

I've already had the procedure. I had severe gall bladder attacks weeks prior to the surgery and was at the doctor's nearly daily receiving pain meds. I am wondering if they burnt my stomach lining as that can happen.

I am two weeks out of surgery and I am having gas pains, nausea, acid reflux, at times stomach upset and indigestion daily. I have kept on a no fat diet as the doctor suggested, and yet I am still having issues.

Just having a bit frustration and annoyance with it. I didn't have stomach issues before all of this.

I had mine out two years ago and still have problems with spicy foods. Also high fat foods cause me issues but not as bad as the first year.

If you've only had it out two weeks ago your body is still adjusting and healing. So some issues are to be expected. Keep your fat level low (it doesn't have to be non fat) and meals smaller. I took some digestive enzymes supplements for awhile to help me but I don't need them anymore. It's a journey and a process to figure out what your new body can handle so be patient and give it time to heal.

I had mine out years and years ago. No real issues due to that surgery.

I do, however, have a multitude of other digestive issues including diverticulosis, colitis, IBS and lactose intolerance along with a TON of food allergies. I have to be careful what I eat due to the other conditions rather than to the gallbladder removal.

The biggest contributor toward any pain or discomfort I have is eating too much. People in general don't realize you are not supposed to eat until you're full, but until you're no longer hungry. And that's a big difference. Doesn't help that restaurants serve ridiculously huge portions.

Despite what Mom might have said, it's fine to leave food on your plate ;)

I had mine out years and years ago. No real issues due to that surgery.

I do, however, have a multitude of other digestive issues including diverticulosis, colitis, IBS and lactose intolerance along with a TON of food allergies. I have to be careful what I eat due to the other conditions rather than to the gallbladder removal.

The biggest contributor toward any pain or discomfort I have is eating too much. People in general don't realize you are not supposed to eat until you're full, but until you're no longer hungry. And that's a big difference. Doesn't help that restaurants serve ridiculously huge portions.

Despite what Mom might have said, it's fine to leave food on your plate ;)

Absolutely, smaller meals several times a day helps.

Thank you so much for all the replies so far. I guess I am just trying to gauge what is "normal" for this type of surgery and what issues are okay.

I have heard of so many that had little to no issues and then here I am with stomach ache, nausea, indigestion,heartburn and I'm thinking, "oh no, is something else wrong?"

I figured once the gall bladder was gone my worries would be over but my stomach is still not right.

Thank you Avman for the suggestion of enymes, I will definitely look into that. And I am keeping to low fat and small meals right now, so thank you Seraphim, Bolt, and Smackie for those suggestions too.

Archived