Not sure what to do next

tetraoninae

My best friend, along with a handful of close friends and people we’ve met online over the years, we share a discord server together.

tl;dr for back story:

Earlier this year, my best friend brought into our group this person who ended up being verbally abusive, bullying, and sexually harassed me. This person never used a mic, lied about who they are (shared cropped images of a cam girl, claimed to be this person, did you know reverse image search is a thing?) - using information the person had shared with me and the group, I was able to show how nothing this person said added up. This person eventually removed themselves from our discord when my friend told them to leave me alone; the person also blocked me, essentially ghosting me, but continued to interact with at least two people in our group (best friend being one).

What happened recently:

One day, the person decided to throw off on me and my best friend wasn’t going to have it. The person removed my best friend and that’s when he shared with me what transpired between them. That’s also when I shared with him everything I had found out about this person, because before he was unwilling to listen. He ended up calling out this person, they re-added him, and said they needed to take a break and get back to him. My best friend said he would update me when or if this person ever got back to him.

Situation I need advice on:

He’s back to hanging out and chatting with this person who lied to our group, was a bully and awful to me. I found out accidentally because he shared a screenshot to our discord and I recognized the username. I asked him what was up, and he said things were fine and that they had explained the reason they don’t like to talk in voice chat is because they had been recognized before and had been a victim of irl stalking and abuse. So that was why they have/had the online persona.

I feel sick to my stomach over the situation, knowing he’s hanging out with a cat fishing blatant and abusive liar. His reason he offered me last night is that my experience isn’t his experience. I take that to mean “it didn’t happen to me so I am not bothered and it does not impact me” even though there’s evidence this person is awful and I feel might be cruel to him. And shouldn’t it impact him if his best friend was impacted?

The whole situation is weird. Do I just let it go and let things sort themselves out? Do I ask him why he’s siding with such a toxic person? I feel he truly believes their story, which has left me feeling baffled and hurt.

Get out of this group. Try to diversify your life in real life to prevent getting sucked into these dark places with dark weirdos.

What kind of problems are happening at school or with your parents/home life that causes you to retreat into this awful and dark place with these random creeps?

Make friends in real life and get on some decent social media apps to stay in touch with friends. Get involved in school, sports, clubs, groups, etc. that interest you.

we’ve met online over the years, we share a discord server together. my best friend brought into our group this person who ended up being verbally abusive, bullying, and sexually harassed me.

I’m sorry, please let me clarify: of the ten of us who use this discord together, six of us know each other irl (we all met around late 2014) and do get together to play games, go out, etc... the situation with the eleventh person has been limited to online, and we’ve not discussed them at any of our social gatherings. It’s not exactly a group I want to leave. I’m just not sure how to go about discussing this with my friend. It’s not like they bring the toxic person around or talk about them anymore, but it’s weird they’d not mention how things resolved and why they accept the new story from this person. This is all out of the ordinary.

Discord is just a way we stay in touch day to day or coordinate games.

I did last night. But he gave me that response I mentioned above. I want to talk to our mutuals about the situation, but I also don’t want to blow things up and make things awkward. Not that things aren’t awkward for me just knowing he still talks to this person. I’m sorry, he seemed defensive over the whole issue. I dunno, it’s not something I’ve had to deal with coming from him before (the exact situation that is - if someone had hurt him, I would not want anything to do with that person).

Your friend stood up for you, the troublemaker left, so what's the problem? This person left the group and blocked you. Your friend can be friends with whoever he wants, you can't and shouldn't try to control that to stir up drama.

this person who ended up being verbally abusive, bullying, and sexually harassed me. my friend told them to leave me alone; the person also blocked me
Your friend stood up for you, the troublemaker left, so what's the problem? This person left the group and blocked you. Your friend can be friends with whoever he wants, you can't and shouldn't try to control that to stir up drama.

I agree. Problem solved. Your friend can talk to whomever he wants to. Don't get so upset over an online fantasy world.

Archived