I think I made a big mistake

Togo

One year ago me and two of my friends started a company which is now running successfully and we are earn good from it.

In the process of starting it there was a lot creative work to be done. Since I am the arty guy, it was delegated to me and loved doing it.

However when we started to receive more and more clients, times changed and I started to deal with matters that involves zero creativity. Today I am stuck with doing things that I do not enjoy doing it all.

My creativity levels have dropped to zero and I have become a workaholic zombie who lives for work. Even though time flies at work, in the end of the day I don't feel that type of joy as when I finish editing new video ad or write a 5000 word article.

I got into this venture to create something different and meaningful. But now it all had become about earning more and more money. Which I honestly do't give a *peep* about it as long I have enough of it for my daily needs.

My idea was to grow it to the point that I would not need to be involved so much in daily tasks. For it to happen it might take some years more. I do not imagine myself being part of this emptiness several more years just for the sake of economical profit.

I am really sad and exhausted. Don't know what to do .:upset:

One year ago me and two of my friends started a company which is now running successfully and we are earn good from it.

I am really sad and exhausted. Don't know what to do .:upset:

Have you discussed any of this with your two friends? If not, WHY not? In any business meetings are usually held to discuss where the business is going, improvements, issues, etc etc. It's a good way of making sure everyone in the business is on the same page and knows where things are headed. Do you guys ever do this? And again, if not, why not?

Have you discussed any of this with your two friends? If not, WHY not? In any business meetings are usually held to discuss where the business is going, improvements, issues, etc etc. It's a good way of making sure everyone in the business is on the same page and knows where things are headed. Do you guys ever do this? And again, if not, why not?

We used to, but now the only time we meet is when it is needed to go over the monthly paperwork matters. Our company is in logistics sector. They take care of transportation and I am working at the office with customer care and dispatching matters.

Hey, how old are you? I'm guessing you're a Millennial because Millennials don't really want to work and they want to lie on a beach somewhere or do something creative. But in the society we live, you have to pay your dues. So in this case, you do your boring work for a few more years, you put a lot of money away in the bank and in your retirement, and in a few years when your friends sell the business, you leave with a big chunk of change and you can do what you want for the rest of your life.

I worked for more than 40 years, I saved my money, and now I can finally do whatever I want. (But I actually worked a lot of minimum wage jobs for a while so it took me longer than you.) But that's the way I see it. Put up with this "emptiness" for a few more years and then do whatever you want.

Good grief, you need to hold regular business meetings with your partners to work out any and all problems. You all should have clearly defined roles/jobs as well.

I run a home business with my husband and our son is heavily involved. We have meetings about once a week and air grievances and make plans etc. You cant run a successful business any other way! I do a lot of jobs that I dont really care for but they have to be done, same with your company.

Running your own business with 2 partners means you'll have responsibilities to them and their livelihoods, keeping the business afloat as well as needing to do things that are not fun.

It seems your vision of being creative and their vision of keeping afloat/turning a profit do not align. All you can do is resign and hire a replacement then find a salaried or consulting job that requires no business operations on your end.

One year ago me and two of my friends started a company which is now running successfully and we are earn good from it. Today I am stuck with doing things that I do not enjoy doing it all. My idea was to grow it to the point that I would not need to be involved so much in daily tasks.
Hey, how old are you? I'm guessing you're a Millennial because Millennials don't really want to work and they want to lie on a beach somewhere or do something creative. But in the society we live, you have to pay your dues. So in this case, you do your boring work for a few more years, you put a lot of money away in the bank and in your retirement, and in a few years when your friends sell the business, you leave with a big chunk of change and you can do what you want for the rest of your life.

I worked for more than 40 years, I saved my money, and now I can finally do whatever I want. (But I actually worked a lot of minimum wage jobs for a while so it took me longer than you.) But that's the way I see it. Put up with this "emptiness" for a few more years and then do whatever you want.

Dude, seriously?! You do realize millennials are approaching their 40s now right?? I'm a millennial and I work hard, I know a lot of us that do. There's lazy people of every generation.

This guy isn't lazy, he just wants to be doing something different with his life. If he can be successful doing what he loves why shouldn't he?

Dude, seriously?! You do realize millennials are approaching their 40s now right?? I'm a millennial and I work hard, I know a lot of us that do. There's lazy people of every generation.

This guy isn't lazy, he just wants to be doing something different with his life. If he can be successful doing what he loves why shouldn't he?

I agree completely. DanZee, I'm also a millennial and seriously dont appreciate your bullsh*t description of us. If you want to work for 40years to retire and actually live for 10-15 years, go for it. If we'd like to try and actually live for our entire lives, who tf are you to say a word about it.

OP, you get one life. You dont have to spend it chasing money, but you dont need to spend it being lazy on a beach either. Find a middle ground that makes you happy. At the end of your life, your money wont matter, but regret will.

Togo have you considered pursuing your creative endeavors outside of your professional work?

That's what I do, I work in legal which pays the bills but on my off time, I write (short stories, poetry) and have recently taken up photography.

If I didn't have to work for a living, I would love to devote my time and pursue the theatre arts again (which I've studied as well as modern dance) but such is life.

I dunno, just a thought, having an outlet in the creative arts really keeps me balanced, and also results in my performing better at my legal "day" job as well!

Amen!

……………...

Togo have you considered pursuing your creative endeavors outside of your professional work?

That's what I do, I work in legal which pays the bills but on my off time, I write (short stories, poetry) and have recently taken up photography.

If I didn't have to work for a living, I would love to devote my time and pursue the theatre arts again (which I've studied as well as modern dance) but such is life.

I dunno, just a thought, having an outlet in the creative arts really keeps me balanced, and also results in my performing better at my legal "day" job as well!

That is exactly how it was before I had time for my personal creative projects and then I worked for my company. But then it started to become extremely busy.

I guess hiring an assistant would be the only way to escape this non-stop working hell.

Archived