People suddenly being so nice to me?

Qwerty55

This is a random story but I just wanna share this to you guys. Ever since I lost weight 4 years ago, people are becoming so nice to me. Like the people from my high school, when they see me recently, they would go all "oh my God you are slim now!" and suddenly go all friendly on me (or even wanting to be friends with me) yet these people back then would usually ignore me and some of them even bullied me. It just annoys me are some people really like that? I was 93kg (203 pounds) before and currently I'm 59 kg (130 pounds).

Its normal (unfortunately).

Society has ingrained it into too many people what is and what isn't visually pleasurable, on the surface you are now more approachable then you once were.

That's really sad. I do value the people who were there for me (and still are) when I was obese before.

Go and show off you're new body.

Lol to be honest they were already in shocked on facebook when they saw my profile picture. Some of them were liking and even reacting to it. Saying "congratulations" or "how did you do that???"

There were even some of them messaging and asking me how I lost weight and they were praising me. I was rolling my eyes cause these were the same people who see me as a ghost back in high school.

Ugh, high school.

There isn't enough money in the world to entice me to ever attend a reunion. I hated high school lol. And I couldn't care less what those people think of me.

My best friend wanted us to go to one of the reunions because, as she put it "They all got fat and we didn't. We could really show them!" And I thought "Why bother? I don't care what people I never see think." But she is overly attached to her high school experience even though we graduated umpteen years ago. She is "friends" with all the people who were popular in high school. I want to tell her that it doesn't matter but apparently it does to her!

Anyway...your real friends are your real friends. Everyone else doesn't matter.

BTW, was high school recent? As in, less than 5 years ago?

Ugh, high school.

There isn't enough money in the world to entice me to ever attend a reunion. I hated high school lol. And I couldn't care less what those people think of me.

My best friend wanted us to go to one of the reunions because, as she put it "They all got fat and we didn't. We could really show them!" And I thought "Why bother? I don't care what people I never see think." But she is overly attached to her high school experience even though we graduated umpteen years ago. She is "friends" with all the people who were popular in high school. I want to tell her that it doesn't matter but apparently it does to her!

Anyway...your real friends are your real friends. Everyone else doesn't matter.

BTW, was high school recent? As in, less than 5 years ago?

I'm on the same boat as you. I always HATED my high school. You know those typical teen comedies of bullies and popular kids in high school? That's what I exactly encountered years ago. Until now I still hate the people I went with during high school. I was literally treated like sh*t.

High school was 6 years ago btw.

I'd decide whether it's easier for me to hold onto the bad stuff or to consider whether, like myself, people have grown and matured quite a bit in the years since high school. This possibility helped me to go to my HS reunions and actually enjOy 'meeting' the people each had become.

Sure, there were a few bumps, such as the girl who's BF I stole at age 17 still holding a grudge, and the one who still remembered all the lies I told in 3rd grade. I was more amused than offended, especially given these reminders that I wasn't exactly a saint in my youth, either.

You can auto-assign the worst to people if you want to, it isn't against the law. It just doesn't expand your own scope and it doesn't offer any nice surprises that could be potentially healing. Maybe even the meanest of mean kids has grown into someone capable of humility, or of being inspired by your success, which could account for the new kindness and offer you a healthy bookend to put against the old memories that helps you reconcile and overcome those.

Either way, head high, and congrats on the beautiful body you've earned.

Archived