Boss wont give me my final paycheck until after 2 months. Is that normal?

As you all know, I posted another thread on this forum about me leaving my former company. They told me to go there today and get my salary and they made me sign all the papers. As it turns out, I was disappointed they told me I will get it AFTER 2 MONTHS. I honestly don't buy what my boss was saying cause it's only like 2 weeks of training and small amount of money. Am I over reacting or something is off? Cause I believe they TOLD ME I will get it THIS WEEK and I was mad and disappointed I will get it after 2 months.

The answer to this question very much depends on where you live. You’ll need to google employment standards for your area.

For example, in Canada, if you live in Ontario, by law they must pay you within 7 days of the last day of employment. In Alberta, employers can stretch it out to 24 days if you didn’t give written advance notice.

The US is often similar in this regard. I’m just guessing, but I would imagine the rules would vary from state to state.

Since you were in the sales department, I suspect there's some sort of complicated draw against commission system where you would have gotten a weekly "draw" if you continued working there, but the actual "pay," figuring in any bonuses and commissions based on any pre-sales you directed to salesmen, minus any draw, would have been computed two months later to give enough time in case some customers backed out of their agreements.

If you go collect unemployment insurance, be very careful how you explain it so you're not waiting two extra weeks for benefits to kick in.

As it turns out, I found out my country, Philippines, has no law on what specific day my salary will be given. So legally, they can give it to me after 2 months. However, my instincts are telling me they are trying to get away from giving my salary. I know I shouldn't be jumping into conclusions but I just have a hunch they will get away with it. Because the boss was present when I was asking for my salary and his assistant sounded really sorry I travelled 2 hours just to get my salary considering they promised me I will get it by today. Anyways, it's common in my country some employers get away by not giving their employees' salary if the duration is too long. That's why my instincts are telling me something is really wrong as much as I don't want to jump into conclusions.

Have you checked your country's Ministry of Labour site? It will likely outline for you what happens, in theory, if your employer does not provide payment within a certain time-frame.

Have a look here, if you haven't already:

https://www.dole.gov.ph/

Having said that, I also currently reside in a country where the law is not always followed the way it's stipulated. I know what should happen is not necessarily always what does happen. And trying to correct that through legal means can take much more time and money than the salary owed and work put in. I feel your frustration, OP.

Have you checked your country's Ministry of Labour site? It will likely outline for you what happens, in theory, if your employer does not provide payment within a certain time-frame.

Have a look here, if you haven't already:

https://www.dole.gov.ph/

Having said that, I also currently reside in a country where the law is not always followed the way it's stipulated. I know what should happen is not necessarily always what does happen. And trying to correct that through legal means can take much more time and money than the salary owed and work put in. I feel your frustration, OP.

Thank you for understanding. I'm just frustrated cause they promised me I will get it today, Thursday. I was supposed to go to this job interview but I skipped it and went to commute 2 hours for my salary only to find out it will be given after 2 months. I wouldn't mind getting it after 2 months if they told me that was their plan. I also don't get it why the assistant of the boss looked and seems SURPRISED and sorry I will get it after 2 months considering I heard a lot of employees resigned from this company (some didn't even last a week. Some only lasted two weeks or one day). So getting my salary after 2 months shouldn't be a surprise to her considering it's common for their company a lot would resign.

Archived