Non-period period cramps

I'm on day 9 of my cycle and have been feeling period-like cramps since Saturday (it's now Wednesday). At first I thought it was my period but as my periods are short and this has continued AFTER I've been on, I'm concerned. I've noticed it mostly in the mornings and then it gets to a point where I'll need to use the bathroom to relieve myself. However it's not like I have loose stools, just the bad pain before I go. I feel 100% with zero illness and can eat perfectly. What is this?

How old are you? Early 20s? It's tough to know what the cause is. My wife has been plagued by all sorts of period pain throughout her adult years. We use to call those double periods. She had them checked out and the doctors couldn't come up with a suggestion other than to go on the pill.

You should get a check up and a pap smear to eliminate any chance of cancer. And then, after that, who knows? There's all sort of cramping hormones your body creates and things could have just gone haywire for a month. But be prepared for a shrug from your doctor once they eliminate the usual suspects.

We are not doctors. So you should check with your physician.

So, that said, here are some thoughts. My first thought was endometriosis as a possibility. Otherwise, some kind of infection (like chlamydia ).

For me, when I had normal cramps, I discovered way too late some things that helped: fish oil capsules taken every day helped. Other people swore by evening primrose capsules instead of the fish. (The fish oil helped for me, so I didn't need to try the other ). This, I discovered just before I went through menopause - bad timing for me!

I really urge you to see your doctor, because it may have to do with something else (ovarian cyst, digestive or colon issues, infection, hormones).

R.N here

Endometriosis cramps usually start several days prior to menstruation and end on or a few days after menstruation. You also mentioned your period is short which means it's probably not endometriosis. People with endometriosis have long, painful, heavy periods.

The nerves in the female reproductive system are general as are nerves in the digestive system. It's similar to having a tooth ache that causes your entire mouth to hurt.

Book an appointment with your O.B or your primary physician as this could be unrelated to your repro system.

Are you sexually active? Are you using condoms? If not, you could have PID. Pelvic inflammatory disease which causes pain in the lower abdomen. It is usually an urgent situation so please do make an appointment asap.

I would start to keep a log of your day to day activities (what you eat, exercise, work, bowel movements) including the onset of the pain and what relieves the pain. Start to rat your pain on a scale of 0 to 10. 0 being no pain, 10 being the worst pain. Keep track of the pain level during the day and night in your journal. Show it to your health care provider.

Try to breathe and not to get worked up (I know that's easier said than done). It could be something as simple as a stomach bug. Take it easy. Use heat packs on your lower abdomen for the pain. If you have no kidney issues, take some Advil as directed.

I wish you the very best. Keep us posted. :smug:

Archived