Comfort Food for Depression

I have depression, today is the first bad day I’ve had in a while, I don’t feel miserable so much but just apathetic and slightly sad.

I have a bad habit of self neglect including starving or bingeing when I go downhill. I went to the shop to buy food and spent about 30 minutes in there trying to find something healthy and comforting. I just couldn’t motivate myself to even buy the food let alone cook it. So I gave up.

What foods can you recommend that are very quick and simple to prepare that will pick me up when I feel down? The meal I wanted was salmon with boiled eggs, asparagus, new potatoes, carrots and hollandaise. They didn’t have the sauce and I knew I wouldn’t cook it if they did. I have lots of chores to do and I just feel like crap 😔

I’ve never heard of a takeaway doing salmon that isn’t battered or slathered in sauce (that isn’t hollandaise). Trying to avoid takeaway and microwave food as it’s too many that’s probably recently that contributed to me feeling poop.

Shopping is a plan. I will make an event of it in the morning. Will put salmon and veg on my list along with fresh fruit and some other bits that might help.

I’ve never heard of a takeaway doing salmon that isn’t battered or slathered in sauce (that isn’t hollandaise). Trying to avoid takeaway and microwave food as it’s too many that’s probably recently that contributed to me feeling poop.

Shopping is a plan. I will make an event of it in the morning. Will put salmon and veg on my list along with fresh fruit and some other bits that might help.

Steakhouses do and you can request how its prepared and there are local places i am sure that promote clean eating.

Lemme tell you, even as someone raised almost exclusively on Spanish, Italian, and Mexican cuisine, there are fewer more amazing, cheap, and easy comfort foods than mashed potatoes with an obscene amount of butter, crushed garlic, and some heavy cream.

Lemme tell you, even as someone raised almost exclusively on Spanish, Italian, and Mexican cuisine, there are fewer more amazing, cheap, and easy comfort foods than mashed potatoes with an obscene amount of butter, crushed garlic, and some heavy cream.

Let's go to j.man's for lunch!

When I'm feeling blue, I often don't want to cook either. And I crave roast chicken dinners, as it's my favorite meal in the world.

The cooked chickens at most supermarkets do- then there's leftovers too for a few meals of sandwiches, or pita with lots of veg and tzatziki sauce, or chicken soup if I'm feeling up to it .

Also sometimes I'll go with just cut fruit, cheese, crackers or bread, boiled eggs, whatever is easy to grab and put on a plate .

And tea. Lots of herbal tea. There's something comforting about the ritual, and it keeps you hydrated, too. I have lots of fond memories of my mom starting me off with a sit down and a cup of tea when I was sad.

I hope you feel better soon. It's great you are making the effort, even while slugging through a bad day, to take care of your health.

If you are feeling low and fatigued, then go for food high in vitamins B, C and D, also potassium, iron, magnesium. These will boost your energy levels. As simple as a glass of orange or grapefruit juice can quickly give you enough energy to head to store and buy additional stuff to cook and eat.

I'm sorry you feel depressed. I am a lazy cook, but like to be healthy. So I often get quick food. I get:

*Salad kits (come with sauce, kale, other leafy greens, nuts, dried fruit etc)

*Dried fruit (cranberries, apricot, apples)

*Frozen healthy vegan food you can put in the microwave (no "bad" additives, all natural) - haha I'm not vegan or even vegitarian, but like the brand Kashi because, while dabbling in studying nutrition in the past, it keeps the nutrients in with heating in a vacuum sealed container

*Packaged fruits already cut up (pineapple, watermelon, cantelope, etc)

*Nuts (fresh almonds, cashews)

*Seeds (pumpkin and sunflower)

*Frozen vegetables (I love peas and corn, again cook it in a container in water that retains the nutrients or put a bowl on top of your existing one and drain after cooking in the microwave or on the stove - the point is not to let it evaporate)

*Already made sushi with brown rice (tuna is leaner and available at most supermarkets where I am)

*Fresh broccoli and cauliflower to eat raw (I get some yogurt veggie dip)

*Packaged grains (wheat berries or farro is good with balsamic vinagrette and black pepper like a salad, or Near East products with brown rice, quinoa, etc). This is my best stuff when I hop into the shower, I put this on the stove to cook, set a timer and it's done when I come out. If it is plain quinoa I add sun dried tomatoes in olive oil for extra flavor in the pan while cooking; I've had raving reviews on it.

I hope you will come across better times soon!

And I crave roast chicken dinners, as it's my favorite meal in the world.

Aha, there are two of us. I am not that weirdo lol

Some almonds are ideal. You can carry them with you and are far better than any "quick meal".

Of course, what's "easy" is heavily dependent on what you've regularly got available in the kitchen, but a good chili would only run you $7 or $8 for the pound of ground beef and the onion. Splurge another ~$1 if you wanna throw a poblano or jalapeno in there. Chances are you've got all or most the other spices and seasoning you'd need already. Talking maybe a whole 10 minutes of prep and active cook for a batch that's good for a couple days.

Steakhouses do and you can request how its prepared and there are local places i am sure that promote clean eating.

I’d have to look into the clean eating one but steak houses certainly don’t offer delivery round here. I think I should work on motivating myself to cook when I feel down and use takeaway as a last resort. I could prebag some salmon in spices to chuck in the oven. Probably less hassle than ringing the takeaway 😉

I see your mashed potatoes and raise you Sautéed potatoes. Anything is amazing with garlic and butter!

When I'm feeling blue, I often don't want to cook either. And I crave roast chicken dinners, as it's my favorite meal in the world.

The cooked chickens at most supermarkets do- then there's leftovers too for a few meals of sandwiches, or pita with lots of veg and tzatziki sauce, or chicken soup if I'm feeling up to it .

Also sometimes I'll go with just cut fruit, cheese, crackers or bread, boiled eggs, whatever is easy to grab and put on a plate .

And tea. Lots of herbal tea. There's something comforting about the ritual, and it keeps you hydrated, too. I have lots of fond memories of my mom starting me off with a sit down and a cup of tea when I was sad.

I hope you feel better soon. It's great you are making the effort, even while slugging through a bad day, to take care of your health.

Thanks you, it’s helped a lot! I love earl grey tea, it feels like a treat even though I drink it often and the bergamot in it probably aids my frame of mind, it’s known as an antidepressant and to soothe anxiety.

Cheese and crackers! Cheese is my favourite food and butter is a real comfort to me. I also love bread and butter, there are lots of supermarkets locally that offer all manner of bread with nuts, fruit and veg in so that’s some degree of variety in simple comforting snack. Add some deli meats and it’s practically a meal.

If you are feeling low and fatigued, then go for food high in vitamins B, C and D, also potassium, iron, magnesium. These will boost your energy levels. As simple as a glass of orange or grapefruit juice can quickly give you enough energy to head to store and buy additional stuff to cook and eat.

Occasionally I will take a supplement that is packed full of all the B vitamins plus all the vitamins your body needs to synthesise them. I find such a phenomenal difference in my energy and mood when I take them regularly. Of course natural sources are best. I will have to look into this!

I'm sorry you feel depressed. I am a lazy cook, but like to be healthy. So I often get quick food. I get:

*Salad kits (come with sauce, kale, other leafy greens, nuts, dried fruit etc)

*Dried fruit (cranberries, apricot, apples)

*Frozen healthy vegan food you can put in the microwave (no "bad" additives, all natural) - haha I'm not vegan or even vegitarian, but like the brand Kashi because, while dabbling in studying nutrition in the past, it keeps the nutrients in with heating in a vacuum sealed container

*Packaged fruits already cut up (pineapple, watermelon, cantelope, etc)

*Nuts (fresh almonds, cashews)

*Seeds (pumpkin and sunflower)

*Frozen vegetables (I love peas and corn, again cook it in a container in water that retains the nutrients or put a bowl on top of your existing one and drain after cooking in the microwave or on the stove - the point is not to let it evaporate)

*Already made sushi with brown rice (tuna is leaner and available at most supermarkets where I am)

*Fresh broccoli and cauliflower to eat raw (I get some yogurt veggie dip)

*Packaged grains (wheat berries or farro is good with balsamic vinagrette and black pepper like a salad, or Near East products with brown rice, quinoa, etc). This is my best stuff when I hop into the shower, I put this on the stove to cook, set a timer and it's done when I come out. If it is plain quinoa I add sun dried tomatoes in olive oil for extra flavor in the pan while cooking; I've had raving reviews on it.

I hope you will come across better times soon!

I eat fried fruit and nuts most days but I think I’ve been lacking protein. You have reminded me of one of my favourite healthy snacks. Carrot sticks dipped in lemon and coriander humus.

I feel you. On my really bad days I usually will binge on mac & cheese or pizza. It's definitely not the healthiest but it's "comfort" food and I tell myself I'm going to die anyway so I might as well eat well.

I think takeaway is a last resort as it makes me feel bad for ordering instead of cooking. As someone suggested, I might find a healthy one. Have you tried mac and cheese balls? They’re heavenly!

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, I have been focussing on eating well, drinking lots of water and relaxing before bed and I actually feel pretty fantastic. Eating well and caring for myself has totally changed my mood. Not sure if it’s physical (better nutrition) or psychological (better self esteem) or even a placebo but I’m off out for a scramble on local rocks as I feel so full of energy. My concentration at work has improved drastically too. Crazy!!! Xx

Archived