HATE my part time job in new career

I’m not very sure what my question is...basically need to fix my total joke of a life.

Earlier this year I took a fixed term, part time role at the venue I’ve been volunteering at for a couple of years. Without going into too much, we hold gigs, plays, exhibitions, workshops and everything in between. Since art school I’ve been stuck in my main job, retail so thought this would a good move to see what the arts industry is actually like. Turns out I didn’t do enough due diligence in researching the role and I hate it. I’m struggling to manage my workload over two days as well as doing my old volunteer duties such as ticket sales and answering calls. I have about 2 months left in my contract but it’s unclear whether my predecessor is returning or not. If she doesn’t, what is the best way to say that I don’t want my contract extended without burning bridges? Or just assume that references etc are out the window at this point.

I live at home and want to move away from this town as soon as possible after this contract ends. I have no social life here and in my early 30s, time is ticking on. I hope to do that by getting a transfer with my main job to a larger city. They would only offer part time work but I have savings to lean just now while I look for full time work, although it probably means starting from scratch yet again in a new industry.

Well, you don't have to agree to work beyond your 2 month contract and you can leave. If they want you to replace your predecessor, then ask for more money and leave if they won't give it to you. Tell them you need full-time work. People understand if it's about money and it's not burning your bridges.

Can you find another volunteer to do ticket sales and phone calls? Bring someone in if you can. You shouldn't be doing two jobs at the same time.

At this point, you don't have much experience in any field, so it will be like starting from scratch in any job you take. That does give you a lot of flexibility to move or look into other jobs. When you're too experienced, then you can't easily move or change fields.

Maybe you didn't like it but it was worth it. Now you have a more mature perspective of what you like. See it as a positive experience :)

You can use your experience in retail to get a job in a bigger city. Plus you have the experience to apply for a store manager position.

PS. Definitely it's not the best thing to start all over again but it's never too late :) Last week I started a job in London that I am overqualified with the basic UK salary (I am poorer than before lol). Better start again than staying with ifs . You will be fine hidden kitten, don't worry :)

I agree with dias, it was a good move for you to take the job and find out you don't like it. Now you know exactly what to look for in a new position, in possibly a new city. Plus, now you will have experience in the art industry under you belt. I'd try to stay in your current job and start saving money to move, and look for different jobs in the art industry you might enjoy in the new city you pick to live in. You may need to take a pay cut or a second job to make ends meet for a while, it's up to you if it is worth it or not.

I think you should really take advantage of your current position, however, by networking yourself as much as possible. You say you put on events and gigs so it sounds like you might have access to very important people, venues, etc. Get yourself out there and make a name for yourself in the industry while you are still there, it could help connect you to other better opportunities.

If she doesn’t, what is the best way to say that I don’t want my contract extended without burning bridges? Or just assume that references etc are out the window at this point.

Just tell them to go eff themselves and flip them all the bird as you walk out the door.

Just kidding :)

I don't think you would be in any danger of burning bridges just by declining the job. And I doubt that someone would give you a bad reference just because of that.

You don't have to give them a reason. But if you feel compelled to do so, don't tell them that you hated the job. Just say that you found a position with another company, or that you are interested in pursuing another field.

Would you be interested in staying if they offered you more money?

Thanks all! Yes trying to reframe it as an experiment and at least I gave it a shot. It’s a bad feeling going from being one of their best volunteers to a mediocre employee who’s not getting great results. As far as I know I didn’t mislead or oversell myself, but definitely didn’t ask enough questions of the kind of work I would be expected to be doing - they kept it all vague and I assumed I would get a more thorough handover when I started “officially” when really I was chucked in at the deep end.

However I have found out what I need and like in a work environment so I know what to look out for when job hunting now.

The centre is quite picky about who they have manning the ticket desk, also a small town so applicants are few and far between. So during times that we don’t have cover - paid staff are expected to pitch in. Think I would prefer a job without so many interruptions, OR that handling those calls/queries were the main element of the job.

Half the reason I took this job, instead of moving away at the time, was to network and see what kind of things were out there but it turns out I still really suck at networking. I find it awkward and difficult chasing up artists and getting a good outcome - i seem to be ignored or just not taken seriously. I’m looking into jobs that aren’t so people orientated (that ole unicorn!)

On that note, no, I wouldn’t stay if it was made a full-time/better paid position. I just worry I’m going to need a good excuse as to why they took this chance on me when I probably won’t stay in this industry. Hurry up October!

but it turns out I still really suck at networking. I find it awkward and difficult chasing up artists and getting a good outcome - i seem to be ignored or just not taken seriously. I’m looking into jobs that aren’t so people orientated (that ole unicorn!)

I feel you on this. I think if you get yourself into a good work environment with superiors who value you and your work, networking becomes a little easier. You are unhappy in your current job, which kind of makes networking a lot harder, too. Keep that in mind.

Archived